What did you buy at the carboot today ??

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What did you buy at the carboot today ??

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:16 am

Picture for my recent experiences
flying_delorean81 wrote:I forgot to post about my little find on Sunday! Really good condition Shadow of The Colossus, CIB with instructions and art postcards for the princely sum of 50p.

I couldn't hand over my money fast enough! :D
Beats me, I got mine for a quid

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:16 am

nokgod wrote:I've barely been to any this year and when i have i've been after other things, rather than games. Doesn't stop me looking, of course, but i've already decided i'm not buying unless i see something specifically for my collection. This is getting increasingly unlikely as most of the stuff i'm looking for is imported. Obviously, if i see something valuable i'll pick it up so i can use it as trade material, but again, this is getting less likely with the sheer number of people i see hoovering up anything remotely retro....

I always live in hope, though! :D
Seems like if its over 10 years old people seem to think its valuable,total madness!
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:43 am

Went to my first of the year today. The local J Edgars were out in force.

Managed to get a megadrive Quickshot joystick for a quid, Oblivion, Dead Island, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3 LTD ED on the 360 for a fiver all in and a mint new Sky HD/3D box for 6 quid.

oh and an Avatar bluray/dvd (brand new) for £3
Going Solo...................

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:07 pm

oldtimer wrote:Seems like if its over 10 years old people seem to think its valuable,total madness!
Yeah, well, i don't suppose you can blame people for wanting to make a few quid, but its not really that, that bothers me. Its the rudeness and aggressive nature of some particular individuals. Rooting through peoples stuff before they're even unpacked, snatching stuff out of hands, (this has happened to me) and so on. I've seen it all, even fighting.

Not as much fun as it used to be, if i'm honest. I only tend to bother now when my old man wants to go.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:39 pm

nokgod wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Seems like if its over 10 years old people seem to think its valuable,total madness!
Yeah, well, i don't suppose you can blame people for wanting to make a few quid, but its not really that, that bothers me. Its the rudeness and aggressive nature of some particular individuals. Rooting through peoples stuff before they're even unpacked, snatching stuff out of hands, (this has happened to me) and so on. I've seen it all, even fighting.

Not as much fun as it used to be, if i'm honest. I only tend to bother now when my old man wants to go.
Yeah, I've completely given up on them - managed to get many bargains along the way but fun they are not.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:26 pm

I still go most weekends,but its rare i get anything retro game related now, its all full of unrealistic dealers who think a pac man cart is worth £15, and anything Pre Gamecube is rare,

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:34 am

I finally had a result at my local one after months of not finding anything.

1) Vic-20 with Vixen 16K RAM expansion. Fully working £1
2) Boxed Amiga 600 with a disc box full of games. Fully Working £5

I don't suppose it will happen again for a while.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:52 am

oldtimer wrote:I still go most weekends,but its rare i get anything retro game related now, its all full of unrealistic dealers who think a pac man cart is worth £15, and anything Pre Gamecube is rare,
I used to go quite a bit 6 or 7 years ago. I know AceGrace just had a decent score but as was said, it took months. You used to be able to get that much more often and so now it's it's just a waste of time; I could be gaming or doing something else.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:23 pm

first carboot in literally ages - this year maybe - got a few bits:

zone of enders 1 and 2 PS2
Crypt Killer, area 51 and Die Hard Arcade (saturn)

there was a guy selling a JPN saturn for £120! but I was on a £10 budget

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 am

my last haul was
shaq fu
crue ball
sonic 1
splatterhouse 2
paperboy 2
atomic runner

all complete and boxed
cart only
puggsy
mega games 6 vol 3
world of illusion

and 3 pads (2 official, 1 competition pro)
faulty ms 2 but some parts to take from it, and possibly fixable, just need my bank to send me a new debit card as i lost mine.
£12 the lot

i didnt get it from a car boot, it was an autojumble, astonishing but at least noone else knew what it was.

i dont really do carboots, anything where i risk someone being an a-hole over a game is a step too far, i have even considered giving up on charity shops as if you ask them if they get computer stuff in they either look blankly at you or start ranting about how everyone is trying to rip them off and how everyone is an expert, yeah i know, try being genuine and in this hobby it aint always fun ok?

plus there are plenty of bargains to be had when "experts" slip up, its how i get about half my bargains, the other half come from cool people doing deals with me

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:52 am

Everyone is an "expert" so ive found recently,,, but the saying that gets me is... "i can get X amount on ebay mate for that " so why do they bother getting up at the crack of dawn to sell stuff at less money ,than putting it on ebay? ... cos they are talking c..p!

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:46 am

oldtimer wrote:Everyone is an "expert" so ive found recently,,, but the saying that gets me is... "i can get X amount on ebay mate for that " so why do they bother getting up at the crack of dawn to sell stuff at less money ,than putting it on ebay? ... cos they are talking c..p!
I used to have this all the time. I have gone off of carboots; to many people 'my way' are trying to make a living from it, and I can not be arsed to get up at 6am to give them competition. Carboots have also become a little commercial; for every 2 normal sellers there is a business/regular seller and I just can't be arsed to buy that game gear thats there every week that apparently works but no batteries to test it with etc; then if you have batteries to test an item with when it doesn't turn on of course the batteries broke the item, or they're 'out of charge' or "it worked when I last tested it".

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:06 am

Today I got
A black DS LIte with Bust a Move, case, charger, styluses and instructions in very gook nick for £5
Gamecube Gameboy player disc mint in case 50p
Rocky, NBA Street vol 2 and NBA Courtside for the GC £2 the lot
Marble effect old skool record deck £5 with a thrown in copy of Who's Next

Saw a load of PS2 games, 2 xbox without leads, a SPeccy 128k in shonky condition for 20 notes, 3 Wii' s priced between £40 for a mint black Resort one to a yellowing loose one for £100 and not a great deal else.
Going Solo...................

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:54 am

My local carboot was cancelled today ,,,, no idea why

NeilT

Post by NeilT » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:22 am

Bought a Vectrex for £20 yesterday.

Seller advised me that it was not working and that has proved to be the case.
My partners brother is a bit of an electronics whizz and we are are going to try and get it up and running.