What did you buy at the carboot today ??

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

James A

Re: What did you buy at the carboot today ??

Post by James A » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 pm

Theres some by me that now camp over the night before yet still manage to miss loads of stuff. My friends also been threatend by one guy after getting a load of stuff and going back to his car. Bloke walked up to him saying it might be better for his health if he didn't buy computer stuff.

Well for me today it was selling at the carboot which netted me some much needed cash. Just as i was packing up the woman next to me pulled a box out of the back of her car that she had forgot to put out. Ended up getting Resident Evil (PS1) Silent Hill 2 Special Edition (PS2) and the Offical Final Fantasy Guides for 10, 10X2 and 12 for £5. Speaking to one guy got had got a PC Engine with 20 games for a £10 which was a bit gutting as ive never seen one of those before.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:12 pm

i haven't been to a carboot sale for a while now and must say I don't miss it at all. Especially the pre 6am sunday starts.

retro-planet.com

Post by retro-planet.com » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:53 pm

RetroStation wrote:
Only 2 blokes? There must be at least 20 traders after the same thing at the boots i go to, and i get there at 5:25 in the morning!! :( Its very frustrating to watch them pick up final fantasy 7 and the like for 50p and even more frustrating to hear them asking booters for games before the booters have even parked their cars. :evil:
Sounds fierce :x

I've seen the asking at the cars before they have pulled up but that's usually for Gold & Silver (jewelry. Not Pokemon).

Going back 2-3 yrs ago there was lots of competition but it seems to had died out until today that is.

levon2807

Post by levon2807 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:32 am

Wasn't many gaming related items at the car boot on Sunday...I did see a mint, boxed NES with Dr Mario go for £5! I got there as these guys were inspecting it...it looked as though they were walking away so I asked how much and the seller said "£5 but they've bought it" :x

Did get a gold trumpet for £25 though :lol:

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:42 am

James A wrote:Theres some by me that now camp over the night before yet still manage to miss loads of stuff. My friends also been threatend by one guy after getting a load of stuff and going back to his car. Bloke walked up to him saying it might be better for his health if he didn't buy computer stuff.
Jesus! Was it the booty at Chirk?

frood42

Post by frood42 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:32 am

levon2807 wrote:Did get a gold trumpet for £25 though :lol:
Is that some kind of euphemism? :wink:

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:54 am

Robocop 3 for the Amiga, with dongle! disapointing..

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:10 am

My wife helped a friend sell at a boot sale yesterday while i looked after the kids at home, she came back with a present for me :D 10 or so master system games, shame i dont collect games for the MS :( she thought they where megadrive games.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:25 am

jdanddiet wrote:i haven't been to a carboot sale for a while now and must say I don't miss it at all. Especially the pre 6am sunday starts.
The bootsales in our area are all 10am to 2pm. We're lucky, I guess. :)
Thoughts and prayers.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:38 am

I managed to get 3 portable tellys for RR. Cost£10 in total. Will be back next Sunday hoping for similar luck. Though to be honest I haven't tested them yet, so maybe I shouldn't count my chickens.

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:35 pm

I really need to get to my local car boot seems like a lot of bargins about.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Have just picked up these -

Beau Jolly 30 games boxset for the Amstrad CPC -
http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/007811
for 50p - now to get an Amstrad!

Elite II - Frontier for the PC boxed in great nick, only the starmap missing - 50p now to get a 3.5 floppy drive!

Serious Sam, Gunman Chronicles, Hidden and Dangerous, Counterstrike Condition Zero, Hitman, Kingpin - Life of Crime for the PC and Smash Court Tennis - Pro Tournament 2 for PS2 - all for 2 quid.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:05 pm

rossi46 wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:i haven't been to a carboot sale for a while now and must say I don't miss it at all. Especially the pre 6am sunday starts.
The bootsales in our area are all 10am to 2pm. We're lucky, I guess. :)
Either that or plain fcukin lazy.

What kinda lazy ass people live in your area!!!

It makes it all the more rewarding when you do actually find a total bargain, knowing that getting up at the crack of dawn was worth while.

Do all the high street stores where you live open at noon, or just whenever they can be ar5ed?! :lol:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:16 am

Must say I like the early morning ones, and to try and beat the rush, as I left the one on Sunday there were huge Q's of traffic and crowds pouring into the carboot which made me glad to have got their early.

My issue is they say they start at 9am, but the hardcore get there at 8am when people arrive to set up and purge all the bargins/rarieties. I was heading down at 8.30 and my bro rang me up telling me of all his bargins, and I was like "what its not even open yet!" So headed down extra early on Monday and found already the place was pretty packed. I guess in future if I can't beat them, I'll join them and be there waiting to pounce as soon as they open their boots :lol:

But then again, its sometimes worth heading back half an hour before the end to hoover up anything left over that then down to stupidly cheap prices, as people just don't want to take it all home again.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

arcadebarn

Post by arcadebarn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:55 pm

Picked up a mega CD 2 + megadrive unit with games on sunday. Guy wanted £20 for it. NOt up on prices so not sure if thats all that cheap but I never had one at the time so I got it for interest more than anything else.....