Doctor Who Finale

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Doctor Who Finale

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:55 pm

I only just saw it (both episodes) on a big f...... projection screen.

Wasn't it brilliant?
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:48 pm

Yeah, but I had a couple of problems with it.

1. No Georgia Moffett. They should have bought her back for the finale, would've been great having both her and Billie Piper on screen at the same time ;)

2. I noticed a gaping plot hole. Davros kept putting everyone in holding cells straight away. When the TARDIS reappeared and the 'clone' Doctor rushed at Davros, Davros zapped him and then immediately said 'Put him in a holding cell'. When Donna rushed at Davros and got zapped, she was just left unattended to get back up and start messing with the controls. That was just stupid and I don't believe for a moment that Davros would have made such a mistake.

But I'm probably analysing things too much there, I still enjoyed it. Davros reminded me of the Emperor out of the Star Wars films, the way he was going on about wanting to feel the Doctor's anger and all that, I was half expecting him to get a light saber out and ask the Doctor to join the dark side :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:43 am

My only thought was that he zapped a Timelord and knew he would survive (or even regenerating as need be). Zaps an ordinary human (so he thought) and he would kill her... or not as the case was!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

iLOVEZelda

Post by iLOVEZelda » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:36 am

I liked it but i did feel it went a little flat, there were a couple of problems for me personally.

1st-Rose should of been with the real doctor or nothing at all!, it was just such a perfect ending for her it didn't feel natural to me. All wrapped up neatly with a bow! lol.

2nd--Donna, her ending was the worst! it was very sad ( I'll admit that i cried) but it all happened so quickly. It felt like they had to hurry up and find a way out for her. I will miss Catherine Tate a lot, she proved me wrong and i'm ashamed i ever doubted her!

But at least David Tennant will be back, i really thought that was it for him!

Sorry if these are shallow comments to some but they are just my personal bug bears!
DOCTOR WHO RULES!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:45 am

Now that the spoilers are posted, I'm glad to see the back of slack jawed Donna. Big mistake bringing her in and I'm so happy she's only spoiled one season. Rose was good, but didn't like her family and Mickey. Martha was ok but quite bland (and the puppy dog thing wore thin). Donna is by far the worst of the new companions - the Bonnie Langford of this era.

Davros was on good form. I've just started watching all the old Davros eps (beginning with Genesis) and was surprised at how little he's changed over the years. A good finale but the regeneration was a tad suspect, would have been better if they'd actually committed to it. As it was, the follow up to that was a let down - was it filmed before Tennant had signed up for another year as a get out clause?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lolocaust Bouncybhall

Post by Lolocaust Bouncybhall » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:55 am

I think that the episode suffered from an exceptional first part, which the finale could not better. Yes the Doctor's 'daughter' should have returned, but the whole episode has me in conflict.

I loved the scale of the episode, but then it was also incredibly lazy with the plot, Sarah-jane's pendant for one.

The Supreme Dalek deserved more of a fight. First they managed to kill off an entire army of Daleks with, well Rose and some golden magical vortex dust, then they managed to simply suck two armies into a void in the season 2 finale. Season 3's finale started off well, but then turned into a farce, and effectively killed off a long standing and highly popular character, rubbing salt into the wound with a Return of the Jedi/Flash Gordon double rip off. Is it really that difficult to just have an ending that is bleak?

The most annoying thing though, was the Return of the King style series of 'endings'. Does everything need resolution? Would it have hurt to have killed off a main character?

Damn you RTD, damn you and your 'keep it for the famly' principles. Here's hoping that the Steven Moffat helmed series will be a bit darker.
"Welcome to the Stage of History"

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:17 am

iLOVEZelda wrote:1st-Rose should of been with the real doctor or nothing at all!, it was just such a perfect ending for her it didn't feel natural to me. All wrapped up neatly with a bow! lol.
Perfect? She's basically been left with the rough equivalent of a Doctor Who sex doll.

For me, the RTD finale pretty much summed up why it's time for him to move on. During Confidential, he was rattling on about BIGGER, and how this time EVERYTHING is at stake. Again. Only, this time ALL of the universes were under threat! Bleh. It's just lazy, and wheeling out the Daleks yet again for this, and defeating them in such a trite manner, just irked.

Here's hoping the Moff can finally give us a New Who season with real consistency.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:29 am

I think you are all a bit to caught up in this..
It's a bloody kids program and it was far better than ANYTHING on the TV at the weekends now.
I would rather watch another 6 series of RTD Dr Who than any of the utter pap dancing/singing/talentless pooofy rubbish that is on of a saturday night now..!
Why can't some people just enjoy some fantasy popcorn TV without trying to rip it apart or better still, submit your own scripts if you think you can do better...

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:24 am

I enjoyed it, Doctor Who has always been a family program, its one of the few things that i can sit down and watch with the whole family and all enjoy. as Opa-Opa said its a lot better than anything else on a saturday night and saves us from yet more natioal lottery connected quiz shows

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:38 am

Opa-Opa wrote:It's a bloody kids program
Which doesn't excuse inane plotting. And the thing is, RTD proved with many of his other tales in this series (notably Turn Left) that he doesn't need to do this. However, for the finale, he just threw logic out the window for an hour-long masturbation session, throwing all sorts of junk into the mix with scant regard for the final result.

It's pretty telling that most boards I frequent have Who threads and posters who have kids, and the kids were just as baffled by the final episode as the adults.

Yes, Who is better than most other British TV output. Hell, I'd argue that it's better than the bulk of US TV output (it's more imaginative, less regimented, and has far more variety). But I'm really hoping the fifth series has much, much better script editing, because Who could be glorious.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:30 am

CraigGrannell wrote:an hour-long masturbation session
But there was no Georgia Moffett in it......
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:39 am

Well , I still think the new Dr Who is rubbish. There hasn't been 1 single episode which has come even close to replicating Destiny Of the Daleks , with nowhere near the same budget or capability for special effexts
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retrogamer48k

Post by retrogamer48k » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:27 pm

the new docter who kinda suks but the german darlek bit was cool

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:06 pm

Even in German, its Dalek ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Oh not again!

Post by Oh not again! » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:06 pm

The only thing that really disappointed was the dreadful graphics of all and any of the space scenes, but especially when the Tardis is towing Earth back to orbit. It struck me that they'd spent so much on Davros that they had to scrimp elsewhere. In fact, given the utter stinker I've just endured which is Bonekickers, I'd say Davros consumed a lot of other budgets as well! :)