When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

boyo

Retro Fusion 2008 Reaction..

Post by boyo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Thoughts on a postcard...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Now you tease us. Surely you have some pics from your own event for those of us who couldn't go?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Who won the arcade machine ?!?

Great day, next time i'm going for the whole weekend for sure.

Thought the name badges were an excellent idea as many times it got people talking as they recognised a name from a forum etc. In previous years it was difficult to mingle really.

Met up with a fair few people, lots of good stuff on display, the new Speccy game was great, enjoyed playing that. Sold a few books also so that was good ! Good to see Sandy White and other celebs there.

Great to see Koops doing well with the cider ! I did regret not being able to drink !

Must admit i'm not a fan of the guitar/drum hero type stuff but at least the music from that game isnt that bad thank god !

Really good day despite the sore throat i had previously in the week. You have to do one next year for sure !

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:12 pm

All my thoughts (and those of some others) in here: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... &start=480

FatTrucker

Re: Fusion Reaction..

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:13 pm

boyo wrote:Thoughts on a postcard...
I imagine you're pretty burned out from everything at the mo. When you've had some rest and stuff though, any pics and stuff would be great. Gutted I couldn't go, especially if this was the last one.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Wil

Post by Wil » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:18 pm

I thought it was a great day Boyo. I hope the artwork went to someone who actually wanted it :)

True, it was quite small and it would have been nice to either have the Q&As in the separate room or to get the volumes turned down while they were on. It was quite hard to hear Martin (Hollis).

Again, RB isn't my thing and it was very loud but I understand loads of folks love it.

Loads of good games, great people and the chips weren't bad either.

Name badges = good!

Great fun and I'd go again!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:24 pm

Really disappointed I couldn't go, main thing I wanted to do was meet some of the RG/RP forumites in person, share a drink (or ten) with them and maybe apologise to everybody that I've ever pi55ed off in the past. I'll do my best to get to the next one (if there is a next one). :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:25 pm

My thoughts copied from the other thread....

I got back at around 1am last night/this morning after what was a very long but enjoyable day... Just finished unpacking all my kit to find absolutely nothing missing or broken, which once again illustrates the respect and honesty of the retro gaming community! :)

My personal highlights were:

- Catching up with some of the forum members I met last year at Retro North, and acquainting myself with many new ones like SureShot, sscott, mohicankid, VinnyM, ZeroCipher (thanks for the CD!) and countless others whose names I may never have caught but still had a good chat with regardless.

- Fluking my way to the Saturn Bomberman final despite not killing a single opponent in the 'heat' that I qualified from I'm really pleased the game went down so well as it was my idea to bring it...

- Making my Rock Band debut with a 100% rated vocal performance of Foo Fighters "Learn to Fly" and later forming an impromptu band with mohicankid and the two Bullfrog guys where we were all getting 90% or higher ratings on a consistent basis... 8)

- Extoling the virtues of Import gaming and Japanese obscurities to anyone that would listen (whether they liked it or not!)

- Coming home with more money than I started the day with due to selling everything from my box of goodies...

I was suprised the venue was as small as it was, but I think that everyone fitted in there and helped contribute to a cosy and friendly atmosphere.

I'd just like to add my congratulations to boyo for organising a great event, and hopefully we'll see another Fusion next year. Even if we don't, this has rekindled my own desire to put a retro gaming event on next year, so expect an announcement in the next month or two... :D
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:27 pm

psj3809 wrote:Who won the arcade machine ?!?
Good question! My mate bought a strip of tickets...
psj3809 wrote: Really good day despite the sore throat i had previously in the week.
I now have a sore throat as a result of the event - too much singing! :roll:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:28 pm

witchfinder wrote:I now have a sore throat as a result of the event - too much singing! :roll:
My ears are still bleeding due to some of the singers ;)

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:32 pm

psj3809 wrote:My ears are still bleeding due to some of the singers ;)
Not me, I was f**king awesome! (according to what the game itself told me anyway :wink:)

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:45 pm

Copied over:

I'm also back for the evening! And a cracking day it was indeed!

Highlights:

- From the three Q&As I was in the vicinity of, I could hear the most of Martin Hollis' which was really interesting. Thought Mr. Drury did a fine job as an interviewer too.
- Winning the Bomberman tourney, but who needs glory when American Idol on PS3 was the star prize - wooyeah! The rest of the prizes were alright though (a variety of Blitz stuff & a Reservoir Dogs DVD).
- Managing to trade said copy of American Idol to SirClive in exchange for a t-shirt and Weekend Gamer DVD. It was, apparently, 'for his missus'.
- Playing some great games of Sensi on the CD32 with boggyb68, Retrorik and some others. I thwarted those pesky Icelandians in the end...
- Managing not to lose EVERY game to Woody at SF2, then giving him a good old fashioned pasting at Tetris & Dr. Mario.
- Playing Typing of the Dead with sscott and doing great as a team up until the point where quotes like 'can I shave your legs?' and 'I'm all saggy!' came up, at which point we were no longer able to type due to cracking up.
- Playing Chuckie Egg for a good 30 minutes and getting just 2 levels away from my personal best.
- Managing to pick up a new DMG and SPF2X for Jap Saturn for the grand total of £10 off Witchfinder. Bargain!
- Watching Darran almost bore a hole into his DS screen due to playing some version of Track & Field on it (requiring some serious stylus action), while I played Hypersports on the bartop cabinet.
- Hearing one bloke (who I don't know the name of) who sounded like he was actually dying when doing his thing on the Rock Band mic.
- Slagging off every forum member who wasn't in attendance. Only joking! (or am I?)
- Other than this, the overall professionalism, the vast array of systems and putting names to faces in general was just great. Oh, and so was the bar.

If I can pull myself out of bed tomorrow I'll be down there again.

Oh I have one more highlight:

- Witchfinder shouting 'I'M LOOKING FOR AN ABNORMAL CHICKEN' across the event a few times as they were supposed to be playing in the final.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:09 pm

Sureshot wrote: - Witchfinder shouting 'I'M LOOKING FOR AN ABNORMAL CHICKEN' across the event a few times as they were supposed to be playing in the final.
Hmm, that rates fairly high on my list of things I never thought I'd say or hear... :D

uglifruit

Post by uglifruit » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Firstly double thumbs up for boyo for a thoroughly enjoyable weekend.

random thoughts.

Overwhelming feeling of goodwill and friendliness. People very open to just letting others walk up and have ago. Nice to see a general degree of trust. I didn't feel I was goign to get robbed. Call me old fashioned, but this is a nice feeling.

And it is great to put faces to forumnames and chat to people in the flesh. Namebadges were a great thing. [If only they'd had avatars].

Gamewise there was plenty to play on, and more importantly, people to chat to about their equipment - although finding the owner of things could occassionally be tricky.

I went home determined to get a Vectrex. Thanks SirClive and Simon Goodwin, you have ubdoubtedly cost me a bunch on cash! I can see me ending up in a bidding war with psj3809 on ebay.

All the guests were great to talk to, and In particular meeting Sandy "I of the mask" White was great. Ste Pickford was very funny and the Bullfrog guys were particularly friendly afterwards. Good to see Darren putting in the hours.

Watching Merman get further than I ever have on my Typing of the Dead was humbling. And saddening.

Winning the last game on Pacman VS was divine.

The RockBand was a bit intrusive, but very popular - so swings and roundabouts there.

Frustrating that I didn't get to play Sureshot at DrMario and Sscott at MrDo. I think they're the only games I could really hold my own on. Next year perhaps.
...you been goofin' with the bees?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:13 pm

As I'm sitting here in the US at the moment... awaiting any photos from the event..? :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...