Bulletin Boards ????? Any still running

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oldtimer

Bulletin Boards ????? Any still running

Post by oldtimer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:16 pm

Looking to start an old style bulletin board for Speccy like we used to use way back before internet or email....
Are there any still going or does anyone have info they can point me to.
Got the stuff to run one but not totally sure how to go about it???

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Well, there are boards still running but i've not heard of any Spectrum-powered ones... on the 8-bit front there is Antidote or Jamming Signal (which are both running off a C128 but don't have a dial up, they can be reached via TelNet) and i s'pose Quantum Link Reloaded sort of counts (it's a resurrection of the original Quantum Link, which later became AOL) but again that doesn't use a dial in and relies on a PC to provide connectivity to the 8-bit or WinVICE can pretend it's running a modem and connect directly.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:53 pm

Definatly used to use my speccy in the old days for bulletin board stuff.
My telephone handset used to fit into two rubber cups connected to a modem and was dialled manually.
Will have a look at the stuff youve mentioned as it looks interesting...
Seem to remember compunet as well....

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:59 pm

oldtimer wrote:Definatly used to use my speccy in the old days for bulletin board stuff.
Never said you didn't, just that i wasn't aware of any... that said, i misunderstood the question, the boards i was talking about are not only for the C64, in the case of the telnet ones they're running on one - or a C128 to be more accurate.
oldtimer wrote:My telephone handset used to fit into two rubber cups connected to a modem and was dialled manually.
That'd be an accoustic coupler.
oldtimer wrote:Seem to remember compunet as well....
Compunet was dedicated to the C64 for a lot of it's lifespan, it used a proprietary modem during that time too that ran at a slightly surreal 1200 baud in one direction and 75(!) in the other; a friend and i used to transfer work files using User To User 5 (a cracker-modified version of the official software that said "online" when it seized the phone line and "disconnect" when it passed control back to the phone) which allowed us to chat during transfers.

There was also Micronet, that was a far more open system and the Spectrum, BBC and so forth could be connected with the right software.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:47 am

No probs.
Accoustic coupler,thats the word i was looking for......
Def gonna set this BB up.
Ive still got a lot of mates running stuff and i think it might be interesting to see how many people use it.
Anyone remember Prestel ?????
I used to sell TVs in the 80s and i had one with a built in Prestel Decoder,made by Ferguson.
Never seen one since.....

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:00 am

There are quite a lot of Viewdata boards (CCL4!) still running via Telnet...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:42 am

Loads of stuff still running, there are several list websites up for BBS' just Google.