War of the Worlds - 2005 (Spielberg/Cruise)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

What did you think of the WotW remake?

Excellent, a great remake of a sci-fi classic
18%
It was good, but not out of this world
52%
Average dross that ruined memories of the original
30%

Total votes: 33

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:59 am

psj3809 wrote:Kinda get your point but for me i just would rather give my money at the cinema to someone else rather than him. Theres actors/singers who have done things i'm not too keen on and granted it doesnt affect their acting/singing but their off-screen issues puts me off.
I see your point too, but I just try to ignore all the media gossip bullcrap about all 'celebs', not just Mr Cruise. All I'm interested in, regarding actors/singers/etc, is their ability to do their job, so I try to blank out everything else (not reading the atrocious Sun 'newspaper' helps). There are some actors/singers who you can't help but hear things about, and if it turns out I can't stand them personally (like Winehouse), I won't buy their music, so I guess that's the same sort of thing as you, but they have to be really overwhelmingly bad to make me resort to that. Cruise is just a bit weird, plus he's a nice guy in person. A friend of mine who collects movie star autographs has met him about 6 times and he always has time to chat, pose for photos, sign things, so I respect him for that. Other actors, like Ewan McGregor, are right arseholes in person, apparently. If the richest, most famous actor in the world can put the effort in, why can't the others? Besides, if I boycotted Cruise's films because he's weird, I wouldn't get to watch The Last Samurai, one of my favourite films! Cruise is awesome in that, I hope he wins an Oscar someday.

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:02 am

I really enjoyed it, though I wish it could have been another 20 minutes longer, plus it would have been nice to see the goings on away from the states, like in France, England and Japan.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:19 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:Cruise is just a bit weird, plus he's a nice guy in person. A friend of mine who collects movie star autographs has met him about 6 times and he always has time to chat, pose for photos, sign things, so I respect him for that.
It just depends on the day you meet them and the image they show when they sign autographs etc.

Eg lots of people think Liam Gallaghers a muppet because of the stories they've read in the tabloids, if i had paparazzi pestering me at 2am after I left a friends house i might go a bit OTT ! My friend met Liam in a bar in London and said he was a top bloke, bought them drinks and chatted to them for ages etc.

But people are funny towards a celeb, if you met a celeb and they were a bit horrible then forever you think theyre a bad person, slate them to your friends etc. If you meet a celeb and theyre nice doing autographs etc then you really like them and kind of presume theyre such a nice person.

Tom Cruise i'm sure knows how to do great PR when he needs to but granted before the scientology stuff i think most people liked him.

But yeah Amy Winehouse may be a great singer but i wont be buying her records at all.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:18 pm

It's true, they're humans like anyone else. We have good days, and bad days, make some good decisions and some bad ones, yet with celebs the negative things stick more than an average person. I guess, a price to pay for being rich an famous. Not a bad trade off if you ask me. I just don't like the ones that whine. I once saw Johnathon Ross (really can't stand him) moaning on his show of how he doesn't get enough free time and he's always "working", has to be up early for radio etc. Made me sick to the pit of my stomach. If only he could realise what some people have to do through a whole lifetime to earn a crust. Man's a tw@t.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Good point ! Hes in the position that if he doesnt want to work he doesnt have to !

I dont mind him but do think the Beeb pay him a ton

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:What TV series? Tripods? Not based on the same source at all, the only thing they have in common is walking machines with a design which clearly were inspired by the Jeff Wayne artwork.
Nothing to do with Tripods. There was a TV series made that followed on from the 50s film but set in the present day. They even managed to find a way to incorporate one of the flying machines into the story as well as the fact that the Martians could take over humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the ... TV_series)

Don't know why this ^ won't work. :?

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:33 am

I think it looks for a "www" to activate the link...?

Tripods was better though. The first series dragged a bit but the second was sublime. I wish to hell they'd have completed the full trilogy, as the BBC adaptation is far better than the original books. Plus the aliens were called Masters, which rocks :D
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:48 pm

The Master wrote:Plus the aliens were called Masters, which rocks :D
No it doesn't! :evil: :P :P :lol:

The Master

Post by The Master » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:17 pm

Xesh wrote:
The Master wrote:Plus the aliens were called Masters, which rocks :D
No it doesn't! :evil: :P :P :lol:
Does so though...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 pm

I love HG Wells classic novel, read dozens of times, love Jeff Waynes musical interpretation, and I quite like the first film, and I think this is ok too.

Most poignant part for me is when they are running along and they have to wait at a railroad crossing and when the train passes it's completely ablaze... dunno why but it strikes a chord with me somewhere...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip