War of the Worlds - 2005 (Spielberg/Cruise)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

What did you think of the WotW remake?

Excellent, a great remake of a sci-fi classic
18%
It was good, but not out of this world
52%
Average dross that ruined memories of the original
30%

Total votes: 33

EvilArmourKing

War of the Worlds - 2005 (Spielberg/Cruise)

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:48 am

How do you rate this film??
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:51 am

Utter sh*te. Badly cast, woefully acted, didn't give a f**k about any of the characters, no sense of pace, no sense of tension, very little excitement, altogether a completely wasted opportunity.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

David

Post by David » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:54 am

Having never seen/read any original version of this, it was ruined for me by the fact that the space monster thingies die of a feckin cold.

jeezo, do they not have Space Lemsips or something?

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:05 am

Sorry guys, thought I had included an option that said :

"One of the worst Sci Fi films I have ever seen"

So I'm guessing those of you that have already voted may have liked a similar option :wink:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:08 am

Didnt think it was the worst ever film, i'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but i found the film watchable. Seen much worse films than War of the Worlds but would say its better than say the latest Indiana Jones film !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:55 am

It was very poor, didn't do the book justice at all. It showed promise in its presentation but ultimately was lacking, being a hollow experience. The Jeff Wayne version is far better even without the visuals (I'll even accept it as a 'good' musical, a particular hatred of mine).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:22 am

Dreadful. I buy a lot of DVDs without seeing the film first. Very glad I watched a pirate copy of this and didn't waste a tenner.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:25 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:It was very poor, didn't do the book justice at all. It showed promise in its presentation but ultimately was lacking, being a hollow experience. The Jeff Wayne version is far better even without the visuals.
Sums up my feelings too.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:29 am

Really like the first hour and the tension built up, particularly when the first alien crawler thing rises from the ground and people are running down the streets. Once it gets to the scenes where they're holed up in the house with Tim Robbins I think it loses it's way. The ending of course, will always suck.

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:34 am

It's certainly not the worst sci-fi i've ever watched (and i like bad sci-fi, when it's done really badly it can be hysterically funny) and generally speaking i quite liked it. But only quite liked... got nothing against Tom Cruise, but if i were looking of something he'd done i'd probably go for Minority Report or the first M:I (does that count as sci-fi considering the gadgets and futuristic train?) in preference.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:42 am

sscott wrote:Really like the first hour and the tension built up, particularly when the first alien crawler thing rises from the ground and people are running down the streets. Once it gets to the scenes where they're holed up in the house with Tim Robbins I think it loses it's way. The ending of course, will always suck.

I agree. Good 1st half, poor 2nd half.
Not due to the director or lead man but because the story isn't
up to much in the first place.

The original isn't a "classic" but a "cult-classic" which, as we all know, equals = crap. :)

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:51 am

The ending wasn't great. The original ending wasn't great either, of course, but while the earlier movie did play up the philosophy of it - God will protect us, the arrogance of the aliens was their undoing etc. etc. - this movie just kinda let it happen then rolled the credits.

I didn't like how they had the only working car in the United States; that just defied my ability to suspend disbelief. The news reporters were also a little too conveniently placed. The kids were annoying; the boy's stubborn stupidity that really made me want to yell at the screen, and the girl's neurotic, uncompromising selfishness (the actress was amazing, the character stank); frankly they were two horribly self-centred, thick morons that I wouldn't have minded seeing getting "processed." Cruise himself was never quite convincing as a deadbeat-dad harbour worker. Too manicured.

Overall, though, I liked it. It's a completely different movie from the first so I've no trouble judging them separately. I did enjoy the "grassroots" perspective of the whole thing, the way the focus was kept on an average schmo and never once went near the government/military response. And the tension up to the point where they left the city was great.

I haven't read the book or heard the Orson Welles version.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:06 am

stvd wrote:I agree. Good 1st half, poor 2nd half.
Sounds like 28 days later. LOVED the first half, the second half went downhill fast, shame

David

Post by David » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:14 am

have you seen 28 weeks later?

an hour and a half of Robert Carlyle running along to really LOUD guitar music.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:34 am

Dunjohn wrote:the philosophy of it - God will protect us
Can I honestly say that I have never considered this to have any connection to gods (well, other than Mars).

It hadn't even occured to me that it would be misinterpreted in such a way.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.