What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Matt_B » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:08 am

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:01 pm
Cowboy bebop (live action)
It was........
Bloody boring, it lacked what made the anime fun, yeah sure it changed things (like most the plot) and Ed was missing (till the last minute) and why did they make every episode an hour? It becomes a slog.
The sets and CG looked bloody good, thats the only thing it has going for it.
TL;DR - Meh
To be fair, Ed is one of those weird anime characters that'd be really easy to mess up in a live action adaptation, so better a late series cameo - and see how that goes for what to do in the second season - than ten episodes of overacting that'd annoy both old fans and newcomers alike. I've yet to get to that point, so I'll pass further judgement when I do.

I think they did a decent job with the rest of the cast though, the visuals are fine and that soundtrack hasn't aged a day. Maybe they'll get there with the writing in the second season too?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:01 am

Matt_B wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:08 am
DPrinny wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:01 pm
Cowboy bebop (live action)
It was........
Bloody boring, it lacked what made the anime fun, yeah sure it changed things (like most the plot) and Ed was missing (till the last minute) and why did they make every episode an hour? It becomes a slog.
The sets and CG looked bloody good, thats the only thing it has going for it.
TL;DR - Meh
To be fair, Ed is one of those weird anime characters that'd be really easy to mess up in a live action adaptation, so better a late series cameo - and see how that goes for what to do in the second season - than ten episodes of overacting that'd annoy both old fans and newcomers alike. I've yet to get to that point, so I'll pass further judgement when I do.

I think they did a decent job with the rest of the cast though, the visuals are fine and that soundtrack hasn't aged a day. Maybe they'll get there with the writing in the second season too?
Already seen a lot of people calling her "Cringe",
Its weird how a Netflix series looks better than a lot of films (poke at Marvel and DC), id like to see the budget on such a thing

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:42 pm

New Gamesmaster.
It was "Ok", needed more retro stuff, I have no idea who most the people on it where, bar Grado and Trevor, who actually fits the role.

"Call of Duty is the king of FPS" nar m8,

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:26 pm

Outlaws, really funny Stephen merchant bbc one show. Falls a bit apart at the end, but there are plenty of nice moments.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:22 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:01 am
Matt_B wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:08 am

Already seen a lot of people calling her "Cringe",
Its weird how a Netflix series looks better than a lot of films (poke at Marvel and DC), id like to see the budget on such a thing
I finally got there and... Yeah, what I said. Either they're going to need to stick to very occasional appearances or dial it back a bit.

Funnily enough, Ed is based on a real person - composer Yoko Kanno - so perhaps if they styled the character around her boundless enthusiasm and exaggerated gestures rather than the anime, it'd work better.

Anyway, not bad but not great. The bar is pretty low for live action adaptations of anime but I think they just about scraped over. There's definitely room for a second season where they parallel the movie and wrap up the overall storyline but I don't think this is going to run and run.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:22 pm
Anyway, not bad but not great. The bar is pretty low for live action adaptations of anime but I think they just about scraped over. There's definitely room for a second season where they parallel the movie and wrap up the overall storyline but I don't think this is going to run and run.
We have had a few good anime to live action adaptations
GTO
Rurouni Kenshin
Alita Battle angel
Gintama
City Hunter (Nicky Larson et le parfum de Cupidon its French watch it its mental, the Chan one was decent,)
Golgo 13 (2nd film)
This is off the top of my head

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:47 am

Initial D was Okish although they messed with some of the characters for the worse and some translations are hilariously bad.
Watching you sleep since 1990

laughrain

Post by laughrain » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:26 am

Just finished True Detective Season 3 and Community Season 6. Many say Community Seasons 4-6 aren't as good as the first three. S4 sure did feel a little sloppy, but S5 and S6 hit the spot for me. The jokes and set ups didn't feel forced, and Paget Brewster was phenomenal (huge crush). But Joel is so big in S6, it felt like time just sped by, especially since I watched the last two seasons a good 3 or 4 yrs after i watched S4.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:10 am

Saw the last Bond - not the best of the bunch. I think my biggest issue with it was that Craig is getting old(er) and they wrote the whole film around that. They also did another cardinal sin for a Bond movie; they leaned too much on what had happened in previous Craig films so as not to make it 100% accessible to random movie goers. A number of things seemed to happen without the explanation/motivation I would expect, and the glitz and glamour and quick quips were mostly gone - "The heroes are tired". I actually thought the best scene was the one with Blofeld, which kinda says something. They really went out of their way to burn the whole thing down to the ground - for the next movie I think they should start all over, including M, Q and the rest.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:30 am

Spiderman homecoming, it bugs me that Marvel dont put numbers in film titles so without Googling have no idea where this one goes, also having to watch other films to know what hes referencing
Why is he such a whiny wimp?
Past Peters reailed on his own strength and cunning to do stuff, not a supped up tech suit.

Only bit that I liked was the call back to the only bit in the comics where he is under a load of rubble and feeling hopeless, but in the film version he seemed more pathetic

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:41 pm

Masters of the universe revelation part two

Gonna get a bit spoilery

First up the things it did good......................................
Fist-o saying hed like to fist Skeletor

Onto the bad
Three people died in the first episode.
If anyone can hold the sword up and do the thing why dont they just pass it about?
Sword less He-man because he dont need it
The final battle animation running at 10fps
Telia's endless bitching about everything
"Im going to bring an army of the dead" also Orko
Teila bitching to her mum about things.
Sequel baiting, because hes yet to kill off more of the cast
Teila bitching about not being able to use her new powers right away
Seriously, she does that about everything.
Why couldn't they use Skeletors OG VA?
"Ive seen that life is pointless so I must destroy everything" Well do it then rather than hold it off.
The bit where Evil-Lin and Skeletor are about to get it on and she gets him to "Powerdown" as having sex with a god might killer her, this is after she has become one.

The whole thing was stupid dumb. The kids CG series that also came out this year was way better

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 am

Enjoying Cowboy Bebop on Netflix. As someone who has never seen the film/show or read any of the Manga i came into this with a totally open mind. Enjoying it, reminds me of like Strontium Dog, bounty hunters seeking different people every episode. Right mix of comedy/violence/storyline, halfway through so far, hope it gets another season

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:15 am

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 am
Enjoying Cowboy Bebop on Netflix. As someone who has never seen the film/show or read any of the Manga i came into this with a totally open mind. Enjoying it, reminds me of like Strontium Dog, bounty hunters seeking different people every episode. Right mix of comedy/violence/storyline, halfway through so far, hope it gets another season
The anime or the live action?

The anime is way, way, way better, the live action is pish

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:46 am

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 am
Will and I really enjoyed that too.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords