Where are they now?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re: Where are they now?

Post by merman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:44 am

Megamixer wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:50 am
Last thing I recall of The Master was him doing some sort of countdown at the end of each of his posts...does anybody remember what actually happened when it hit 0?!?
Maybe he regenerated
https://www.c64books.co.uk - new books for C64 and retrogaming fans coming soon!

merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:10 pm

was looking at the members list , sooo many gone ,lots of em were prolific contributors too.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:18 am

I guess a lot of them have sold off their collections ,or grown up!! hahaha .
Even i dont play too much nowadays but rekindled my interest during the lockdown when i had the time to enjoy my stuff.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:28 pm

I've posted a bit on RC but thought i'd swing back here i gave facebook up. I've been mostly cycling playing xbox and switch had a holiday in july and planning a 2022 holiday
This guy are sick

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:52 pm

Welcome back!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:14 am

Some of those banned were part of the RG forum when I got into it. Sad to see them gone and lets face it , the forum has been hit and miss since some of them left / change of ownership. That said , I never bothered with Canteen as I don't get it. Last time i tried browsing I felt too damn old and out of the loop to care about most of what was on there. Maybe its just not my humour level - each to their own and all that - but just trying to stir a pot for reactions and controversy never did anything for me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:48 am

I am still here. Joined over 14 years ago. Look here maybe once a week. Technically a 47 year old pensioner as had to retire from teaching and got my pension early. Hope everyone is well. Occasionally hop on Spector's discord chat but just been getting on with life!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:07 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:14 am
Some of those banned were part of the RG forum when I got into it. Sad to see them gone and lets face it , the forum has been hit and miss since some of them left / change of ownership. That said , I never bothered with Canteen as I don't get it. Last time i tried browsing I felt too damn old and out of the loop to care about most of what was on there. Maybe its just not my humour level - each to their own and all that - but just trying to stir a pot for reactions and controversy never did anything for me.
Good to see you around again shifty - a welcome blast from the past :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:17 am

I wonder where evilarmourking is>????????????????? and krusty the clown ,

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:28 pm

"Good to see you around again shifty - a welcome blast from the past :)"

Good to be 'back' - Mostly lurking , grumbling away in the background - nice to see some familiar faces still around.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:04 am

Maybe they should have a push in the mag to get new blood in here?
Im sure there are lots of readers who dont even know this place exists, plus it might encourage old members to put their heads round the door again?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:54 pm

oldtimer wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:04 am
Maybe they should have a push in the mag to get new blood in here?
Im sure there are lots of readers who dont even know this place exists, plus it might encourage old members to put their heads round the door again?
I don't know...forums and message boards are on the way out, have been for ages now, and the situation won't reverse. I just think forums are too slow and not instant enough when we've all been spoilt by how fast discussions can be on social media with far more people to talk to. Not saying that I use the likes of FB or Twitter myself to get my retro discussion fix, but it's obviously where people have gone now. A lot of younger, potential "new blood" can't be bothered with typing out detailed posts and responses on forums so they will never be enticed sad to say.

Everybody is obviously on social media or the likes of reddit because the retro scene certainly hasn't died out as the prices/popularity for old stuff prove.

Plus, forums are absolute ars3 on smartphones where I can't be bothered with any of the BBCode formatting stuff.

I also believe that there has been a generational shift. I use Instagram, and the "retro" that I see on there getting heaps of attention, comments, and likes is all Nintendo, PS1, and even PS2/Xbox/GC era. There is definitely less interest in home computers from newcomers to the hobby.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:48 pm

Very few People under 30 use forums anymore, some even rarely buy physical print mags now, you'd be better off converting it to a FB group if you want new blood.
Watching you sleep since 1990

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:24 am

Sega2006 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:48 pm
Very few People under 30 use forums anymore, some even rarely buy physical print mags now, you'd be better off converting it to a FB group if you want new blood.
Resetera is pretty big
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:05 pm

Facebook has loads of gaming posts it’s hard to keep up with them all. Lot of posts about the old computers and just as many about newer games like X Box 360 Fallout 3.

NeoGaf is an active forum I dislike like it there as there’s to many posts. I’d be reading a thread return a few hours later and it’s 5 pages back.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"