What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Sega2006 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:16 pm

Very nice, wouldn't mind a set like that myself but theres not really the space atm and I'm definately not up to repair.
Watching you sleep since 1990

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue May 11, 2021 5:37 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:16 pm
Very nice, wouldn't mind a set like that myself but theres not really the space atm and I'm definately not up to repair.
I only really keep these really old sets around for those systems that wont play nice with some TVs,
and for playing modern systems on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsjWdfH ... =MikeDixon

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:47 pm

I collect stuff like that more for just likeing the old Tech, I've been fairly lucky with a 14" CRT I got back when I was 16 as it's friendly with most things, oldest item in the collection I belive is the Kodak folding Camera at 99 years old with a 1940 Pilot radio the next although thats currently still blown up after nearly blowing me up.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm

WWE's most wanted treasures.
They go out to find those props that are long gone
First episode has Foley going around looking for his old gear, 2nd episode had Undertaker and Kane looking at there old gear, most of it they kept.
Taker never gave anything away

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed May 12, 2021 1:16 pm

It happens, Motorsport is an an exceptionally notorious one for that as each season Liverys and Sponsors can change and it doesn't just effect the Cars (which are generally team or Manufacturer owned, rarely will a driver buy them when the Car retires), the Helmet and Racesuit can change and obviously saftey requirements cause them to need to change too. so to be able to keep it all is definately an achievement.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 12, 2021 2:29 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:16 pm
It happens, Motorsport is an an exceptionally notorious one for that as each season Liverys and Sponsors can change and it doesn't just effect the Cars (which are generally team or Manufacturer owned, rarely will a driver buy them when the Car retires), the Helmet and Racesuit can change and obviously saftey requirements cause them to need to change too. so to be able to keep it all is definately an achievement.
A lot of them give stuff away, Undertaker didnt as it might of hurt his character. For about 30 years
These days hes retired so hes done a lot of things out of his character
For the most part the gear they have is theres, so it might end up auctioned of for charity, just stuffed in a crate or given to family/friends

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:59 pm

Yeah or in a Museum or Hulk Hogans case a store chain, I don't really follow wrestleing myself and even with Motorsport alot of current stuff just isn't intresting to me, I'd kill for something like the Millie Miglia of old, just an insanely fast road race without all the Politics.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 12, 2021 4:18 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:59 pm
Yeah or in a Museum or Hulk Hogans case a store chain, I don't really follow wrestleing myself and even with Motorsport alot of current stuff just isn't intresting to me, I'd kill for something like the Millie Miglia of old, just an insanely fast road race without all the Politics.
They found Paul Bearers "Betrayal urn" in a museum for undertakers.
The stories behind some of this stuff is interesting

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun May 16, 2021 11:52 am

Brightburn on Netflix. Wasn't bad but shows like 'The Boys' have done the evil 'super hero' better.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun May 16, 2021 5:29 pm

I just binged Season 2 of Love, Death and Robots.

It's a bit different from the first season. They, I think rightly, toned down the gratuitous sex and violence - there's still a fair bit of both but it's done far more in the service of the storytelling - but they also lost the variety and visceral storytelling.

Still, there are a couple of flashes of brilliance with stunning adaptations of Neal Asher's Snow in the Desert and J G Ballard's The Drowned Giant. Elsewhere, the animation is fantastic and so is much of the source material; the adaptations just struggle to connect the dots. Ah well, you could watch the lot in a couple of hours and there's plenty worse on Netflix.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon May 17, 2021 5:47 am

Matt_B wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:29 pm
I just binged Season 2 of Love, Death and Robots.

It's a bit different from the first season. They, I think rightly, toned down the gratuitous sex and violence - there's still a fair bit of both but it's done far more in the service of the storytelling - but they also lost the variety and visceral storytelling.

Still, there are a couple of flashes of brilliance with stunning adaptations of Neal Asher's Snow in the Desert and J G Ballard's The Drowned Giant. Elsewhere, the animation is fantastic and so is much of the source material; the adaptations just struggle to connect the dots. Ah well, you could watch the lot in a couple of hours and there's plenty worse on Netflix.
Some great shorts in there. An excellent use of the Netflix money compared to some other things they've made!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun May 30, 2021 7:36 pm

Rec. Superb horror from Spain.

Just recently finished the entire X-Files saga and, having signed-up to Netflix, have made my way through Season 1 of Designated Survivor. Rather enjoying it. Have tried both VWars and Another Life, but find them unimpressive with all lead characters suffering a complete lack of charisma, the shows also having no sense of threat.

Will be binging on this shortly. A Top 5 favourite of mine. Had to buy my first blu-ray to play it and upgrade the tv. Sheesh!
Attachments
br1.jpg
br1.jpg (275.53 KiB) Viewed 97 times

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Mon May 31, 2021 6:30 am

I was excited for cinemas to reopen in the UK, and my first two films couldn't have been much better.

Gladiator (which I'd never seen before) and Wolfwalkers, a superb Irish animation. It's on at Vue this week for only £2.49, after originally being released as the second lockdown hit last year. Song of the Sea (by Cartoon Saloon, the same animation studio) is one of my favourite films, so I was excited for Wolfwalkers and it didn't let me down. Some of the scenes towards the end are stunning - right up there with the best hand-drawn animation I've seen. I didn't hear a peep from the kids in the screening either.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:06 pm

A quiet place 2 (at the cinema!!)
Decent follow-up with some very tense moments.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:08 pm

Dark side of the ring, covering all the s**t that gets swept under the mat.
The Ultimate warrior one was good and the Grizzly Smith one was really dark.
Its actually hard to binge watch this series