Gamecube Broadband Adaptor (why so expensive)?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oldtimer

Gamecube Broadband Adaptor (why so expensive)?

Post by oldtimer » Sun May 16, 2021 10:18 am

A few years ago i bought a few of these broadband adaptors cheap from CEX for about £6 each (boxed) more as an investment after seeing the prices commanded for the Dreamcast Broadband adaptor go sky high.
Id forgotten i had them up till the other day and thought i would see if they had gone up in price at all so went on the old ebay to have a look and was shocked to find the average SOLD price for them is around £100 now, some are more some are less.
Why do these things rocket in price so much ? especially as you cant do a lot with them nowadays?
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

DPrinny

Re: Gamecube Broadband Adaptor (why so expensive)?

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 am

oldtimer wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:18 am
A few years ago i bought a few of these broadband adaptors cheap from CEX for about £6 each (boxed) more as an investment after seeing the prices commanded for the Dreamcast Broadband adaptor go sky high.
Id forgotten i had them up till the other day and thought i would see if they had gone up in price at all so went on the old ebay to have a look and was shocked to find the average SOLD price for them is around £100 now, some are more some are less.
Why do these things rocket in price so much ? especially as you cant do a lot with them nowadays?
Well, at least for the GameCube you can do LAN with them, but next to no games use this (Mario Kart and Wave race), only PSO is online and at this point with all the faff it ends up not really worth bothering with as better versions of it exist that actually have people playing it.
The only real reason I can think of is those fad collectors with more money than sense
"Gotta have it now"

merman

Post by merman » Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 pm

There were fewer broadband connections back then, so there were fewer broadband adapters made for the PAL market.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 18, 2021 3:50 pm

There are people that collect all accessories, even redundant ones that they won't use. I've seen loads of useless add-ons sell for big money over the years just because they are official products and hard-to-find. Usability is neglible.

I can see the adaptors being worth something for people wanting to put on LAN events for Mario Kart but, even so, is Double Dash really the most popular Mario Kart? Also, we still aren't at stage when such events are possible so value from that standpoint shouldn't be climbing.

I would definitely go with it simply being an official accessory that ism't exactly plentiful (as explained above by Merman).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue May 18, 2021 4:01 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:50 pm
I can see the adaptors being worth something for people wanting to put on LAN events for Mario Kart but, even so, is Double Dash really the most popular Mario Kart? Also, we still aren't at stage when such events are possible so value from that standpoint shouldn't be climbing.
It has been set up at events in the past, getting a group of people to play it all at the same time is tricky.
And you always get that one guy that just wants to play that boring oval track

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 19, 2021 1:06 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:01 pm
Megamixer wrote:
It has been set up at events in the past, getting a group of people to play it all at the same time is tricky.
Ah, yes - Baby Park. Not one of my favourites. Often just a fluke if you win.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed May 19, 2021 1:42 pm

Well im glad i bought my local CEX entire stock of em !!
They were giving them away almost at that point, bit like Gamestation when they were selling boxed Atari Jaguars for £15 each , i bought two , and a Virtual boy for £60.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 19, 2021 1:51 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:06 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:01 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Ah, yes - Baby Park. Not one of my favourites. Often just a fluke if you win.
Thats Mario kart in a nutshell