EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE PROJECT NONSENSE!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

keedor

EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE PROJECT NONSENSE!

Post by keedor » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:12 am

First there was Brexit, now there is Foexit!

Well done to our six Premiership clubs for leaving the proposed European Super League project.

I always felt a "super elite" league where all the founding teams were never relegated simply would not work. What would even be the point of competing? No doubt for the fans - the super rich ones who could afford to attend the matches - the initial novelty would soon lead to repetitiveness and the competition becoming stale.

By stating that he wanted to stop poor games, Juventus Chairman Andrea Agnelli alienated 99.9% of teams around the world. If he really wants higher quality entertainment in football, perhaps he should help share the obscene wealth in the game among the majority of poorer clubs!

Adolf Hitler always wanted to create a superior Aryan race. That did not work. Neither did this.

DPrinny

Re: EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE PROJECT NONSENSE!

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:41 am

A multi-million pound industry selling out?

Wow

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:42 pm

I'm glad it's not going ahead, but football has had this coming, it's welcomed business side and the big money, then it wonders why businesses gonna business. It's a bit rich companies like BT and Sky accusing the Super League of greed, as if they wouldn't want the TV rights.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:12 pm

a glorified friendly tournament
also not telling ANYONE about doing it and LYING to uefa

EVERY SINGLE TIME this came up over the years i said it was never gonna happen, this time they all signed on to the damn thing!
boy did that end quick

f there wasn't a pandemic i'd suggest creating a proper club world cup

merman

Post by merman » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:29 am

This “Atlantic” group of teams has been pushing for a super league for years, wanting more games among the top clubs.

Which won’t increase the quality or help player development. It would also starve lower clubs of revenue and affect the international teams in terms of availability.

The reformed UEFA Champion’s League isn’t much better.

Football in this country needs urgent reform, from greater fan representation (like the 50+1 rule Germany introduced) to solving the issue of cup competitions so that teams don’t play weakened sides.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:51 am

Yeah, it's no surprise that there weren't any German clubs invited to the ESL. Since they're majority fan-owned, the proposal would have had to be run by them.

Not only would they have been as strongly against it as the English fans proved to be, but there'd have been none of the cloak and dagger negotiations that allowed the other clubs to sign up without anyone finding out until the declaration was made.

keedor

Post by keedor » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:53 pm

It looks like Andrea Agnelli is still on the sinking ship! The last I heard he was trying to convince us that the contracts all the clubs signed for the European Super League project were legally binding and there was nothing they could do about it.

If by chance his dream did somehow come true, all the fans would have to do to retaliate is simply stay away and not attend the games. Once there were empty stadiums and the clubs began losing profits I am sure there would be a swift change of heart by everyone involved and their resolve to continue with the League would crumble.

Still, it shows how easily some clubs are willing to sell their souls for money!

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:28 am

Yes when this was all going on I watched about 5-7 videos from various Football News TV from the UK totaling about an hour!!!