Where are they now?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oldtimer

Where are they now?

Post by oldtimer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Reading back over the oldest posts makes me wonder where lots of the original forum members are now?
Some got bored, some got banned, some left, some still lurking but not posting.
Lots of names who one day disappeared never to return.
Who do you remember?
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

psj3809

Re: Where are they now?

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:42 pm

Yeah wondered if some just left the retro scene or moved on etc.

A fair few big name posters are over at Retro Canteen which is a great site. Recognise a fair few names at World of Spectrum still, think some people must limit the sites they're on. Also Facebook has sadly taken a chunk away from forums as lots of people find it easier to post in groups there

David

Post by David » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:51 pm

I'm not on any social media at all so loved this forum. It was mega busy a couple of years ago. What a shame

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 pm

Got a some people on Facebook, but the FB timeline is messed up.

Forums are a dying breed
psj3809 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:42 pm

A fair few big name posters are over at Retro Canteen which is a great site.

Its a toilet of s**tposts

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:16 pm

I started looking back in here when issue 200 hit the stands. I'd stopped buying the mag but not playing retro games. I've reinstalled my sub now and look in here now and again.
Thoughts and prayers.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:07 am

I've not logged on here for aaaaaaaaaaaaages, there used to be a good trading scene on here. I think as the forum got smaller, there was less going on, so I stuck with my other hangs outs like UKvac forum. I check in now and then to see whats going down.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:30 am

bensonrad wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:07 am
I've not logged on here for aaaaaaaaaaaaages, there used to be a good trading scene on here. I think as the forum got smaller, there was less going on, so I stuck with my other hangs outs like UKvac forum. I check in now and then to see whats going down.
Ive been tempted in UKVac since Jamma+ went away, but I have to admit im not fully into collecting arcade machines.
Ill have to get on it sometime as ive been told it has a guy that's willing to import some Arcade 1ups (Want that Star wars one)

Trading wise I just use Facebook,

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:01 am

I also haven't been on here for a good while. I used to log in a couple of times a day at one point then just stopped for whatever reason.

I was walking my dog this morning and this forum came into my head so I thought I'd load it up today.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:24 pm

A lot of members moved to Facebook and UKvac. I tried NeoGaf - way to many posts! A thread I would be reading would be 5 pages back in a few hours
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:25 am

bensonrad wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:07 am
I also used to enjoy the trading scene here too but it pretty much died a death , think most of it went to facebook or ebay .
There are 2 or 3 people from here i recognise over at AtariAge forum and i guess there are some with different forum names now or have reinvented themselves here or elsewhere .
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 am

Since you mention it, The Laird has a good thread at AtariAge.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:14 am

I've started nosing back on from time to time but only really go between here and Retro Canteen. Wouldn't mind another forum that was actually active as this place was fun when it used to be busy.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:20 am
Since you mention it, The Laird has a good thread at AtariAge.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shame it's locked. That was a good daily read.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:32 pm

Definitely miss the days when most of the subforums here were updating so quickly that it was impossible to keep up but times change and people move on.

All forums are pretty much dead. I used to post on Retro Collect and that's dead as well. Tried some new forums but just couldn't find the enthusiasm to start over as a newcomer in already established places (even though I would have done that HERE originally...).

Not interested in Facebook at all (for anything). Never used Twitter. Occasionally dip in and out of Instagram but just find that 99% of what is on there is attention-seeking rubbish, and there's no real community feel.

Occasionally still posting here, and also on Retro Canteen but that'll probably be it. Once these places go under for good then I'll be done.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:22 pm

I've got to join the Canteen. I do know a couple of people there, just keep forgetting! I'll do it now.