Possible Dumped Out Run cabinet at Walton-On-Naze

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

baz

Possible Dumped Out Run cabinet at Walton-On-Naze

Post by baz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:50 pm

I've been reading the mag for years but never posted here before. However, I thought that this needed a mention.

I was on Walton-On-Naze pier last week (that's in Essex, fact-fans) and there seemed to be some demolishing going on, presumably as it's the end of the season. As you go in, on the right hand side there is a large area full of old metal and stuff just piled high, which I assumed was all being scrapped. This area was cordoned off slightly, but I could see what looked like an Out Run cabinet right over at the back (by the side windows). I think there might have been one other machine there, but it was tricky to see amongst all the stuff. I snuck round the cordon a bit and could see that it it was indeed a single seater Out Run cabinet. I'm no expert on these things (and it obviously wasn't plugged in) but it looked to be the original game (there's a large four-seater of a newer version running in the main arcade there). There's a link here to pics of some different cabinet versions, it was the top photo in the article, although i couldn't see if it had the base and coin slots. https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=8938

I was back there today and saw that a load of stuff was being chucked in a massive skip-thing they've got at the front of the entrance. The Out Run cabinet was still where it was last week, alone and unloved. I have neither the space or the wherewithal to do anything with something like this, but I thought someone on here might. I don't know if it's being dumped, if it works, if it's for sale, if it's just being moved, or what's going on with it. But I hate the idea of one of my all-time faves ending up dumped in a skip, so I thought that I should at least stick a bit of info on here in case someone is interested. I won't be back there this year, so I won't be able to update this with any more info. I'm realising now that I should have taken a pic, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Anyway, if anything happens with this, I'd be interested to know! Hope this helps someone.

The Laird

Re: Possible Dumped Out Run cabinet at Walton-On-Naze

Post by The Laird » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 am

baz wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:50 pm
I've been reading the mag for years but never posted here before. However, I thought that this needed a mention.

I was on Walton-On-Naze pier last week (that's in Essex, fact-fans) and there seemed to be some demolishing going on, presumably as it's the end of the season. As you go in, on the right hand side there is a large area full of old metal and stuff just piled high, which I assumed was all being scrapped. This area was cordoned off slightly, but I could see what looked like an Out Run cabinet right over at the back (by the side windows). I think there might have been one other machine there, but it was tricky to see amongst all the stuff. I snuck round the cordon a bit and could see that it it was indeed a single seater Out Run cabinet. I'm no expert on these things (and it obviously wasn't plugged in) but it looked to be the original game (there's a large four-seater of a newer version running in the main arcade there). There's a link here to pics of some different cabinet versions, it was the top photo in the article, although i couldn't see if it had the base and coin slots. https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=8938

I was back there today and saw that a load of stuff was being chucked in a massive skip-thing they've got at the front of the entrance. The Out Run cabinet was still where it was last week, alone and unloved. I have neither the space or the wherewithal to do anything with something like this, but I thought someone on here might. I don't know if it's being dumped, if it works, if it's for sale, if it's just being moved, or what's going on with it. But I hate the idea of one of my all-time faves ending up dumped in a skip, so I thought that I should at least stick a bit of info on here in case someone is interested. I won't be back there this year, so I won't be able to update this with any more info. I'm realising now that I should have taken a pic, but I didn't think of that at the time.

Anyway, if anything happens with this, I'd be interested to know! Hope this helps someone.
Incredibly likely, as I was there in the Summer and there was an area at the end of the pier where a bunch of seemingly broken/not working arcade and amusement machines had been stacked together inside some sort of cage.

Tom_Baker

Re: Possible Dumped Out Run cabinet at Walton-On-Naze

Post by Tom_Baker » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:10 am

What happened with this does anyone know?