Free stuff in breakfast cereal.

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Post by will2097 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:34 pm

The cool kids had spokey-dokeys. 8)

User avatar
Technomancer
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:15 am
Location: North Norway
Contact:

Post by Technomancer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:25 am

In Norway we still get freebies with the cereals. I got a CD with some games the other day. Bad games, and demos as well, but still...
Image

User avatar
ColonelK
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:05 pm
Contact:

Post by ColonelK » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:15 pm

I still have the Frosties holograms from the front of the packs, with Tony on a bike, on top of a mountain, and one of him with that sneezy rabbit.

User avatar
BennyTheGreek
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: you dont care

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:06 pm

We couldnt afford cereal when I was a kid.....

We use to get the plastic fastenings off a loaf of bread and put them on our spokes....

You could also snap it in half and stick it on your finger and flick it .....it was very painful if you got hit with it....

(The bread fastener was square flat plastic with a circular hole cut out which went around the loaf of bread when you tightened the top....)

User avatar
Wil
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:40 am
Location: Warwickshire

Post by Wil » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:42 am

Collecting cereal premiums opens you up to a whole new world of niche geekdom :)

My favourites (from a nostalgic point of view) are Kellogg's Crater Critters which were given away in Sugar Smacks around 1970. Still to get the final one in the set - Kingly Critter because he goes for stupid amounts of money.

I remember Shrinky Dinks, too but one cereal give-away I've never heard anyone remember was from (as far as I can remember) the mid 70s and was a strip of red plastic tape that you could run along a pin and it had a very short sound message on it. I imagine it worked like a very crude record.

As for something to stuff on your bike wheels, we always used a peg and a bubblegum trading card.

User avatar
djcarlos
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Just outside the Imperial Capital Of Seaford

Post by djcarlos » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:34 am

Wil wrote: As for something to stuff on your bike wheels, we always used a peg and a bubblegum trading card.
Yep a peg and a playing card here (the Ace Of Spades, natch)
Image

User avatar
STranger81
Posts: 2507
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:42 am
Location: Derbyshire

Post by STranger81 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:10 am

I used to hate those plastic submarines you filled with bicarb of soda to make them move in the bath!

I had a phase of eating shreddies beacuse they gave away limited edition POGs.

User avatar
SexyWayne
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Kidderminster, UK

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:14 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:We couldnt afford cereal when I was a kid.....

We use to get the plastic fastenings off a loaf of bread and put them on our spokes....

You could also snap it in half and stick it on your finger and flick it .....it was very painful if you got hit with it....

(The bread fastener was square flat plastic with a circular hole cut out which went around the loaf of bread when you tightened the top....)
yeah, i remember the plastic bread bag fasteners, i had hundreds of them on my brake cables and spokes, on my raleigh boxer :lol:

User avatar
Titan
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:14 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Titan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Heh, I remember getting these Simpsons squirt-ring things from packs of Frosties (really crappy little water-pistol type things basically), as I'm a geek in all things Simpsons I collected them all :P
Image

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

User avatar
pinkfearie
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:13 pm

Post by pinkfearie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:00 am

forgot the name but i used to have loads of those ball things you put on the spoke and it made a clacking noise cos they fell up and down depending on were the spokes were, i used to alpabetically arrange them by colour. (OCD as a child and still am :P )

User avatar
djcarlos
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Just outside the Imperial Capital Of Seaford

Post by djcarlos » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:07 am

pinkfearie wrote:forgot the name but i used to have loads of those ball things you put on the spoke and it made a clacking noise cos they fell up and down depending on were the spokes were, i used to alpabetically arrange them by colour. (OCD as a child and still am :P )
Spokey Dokeys
Image

User avatar
Dunjohn
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Ireland

Post by Dunjohn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:50 am

Monsters in my Pocket. I forget which cereal, probably Frosties. That kicked off a major collection I still have up in the attic.

I also remember something Kellogg's Cornflakes did when the Willow movie came out. I loved them. I think they were mazes but can't quite remember. It's really strange having very fond memories of something but you don't know what.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

User avatar
rupert
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: manchester, england
Contact:

Post by rupert » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:43 pm

My mate just won these on ebay, im jelous..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=STRK

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6414
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:10 pm

rupert wrote:My mate just won these on ebay, im jelous..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=STRK
Are they just cardboard trading cards or are they card games for the SMS?
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
rupert
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: manchester, england
Contact:

Post by rupert » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
rupert wrote:My mate just won these on ebay, im jelous..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=STRK
Are they just cardboard trading cards or are they card games for the SMS?
I think there actually scratch cards to win proper SMS games. Assmbled Like a packet of Panini stickers, So you tear it open and theres a scratch card inside. It's not very exciting for most people but for a hardcore SMS collector like me it would be very nice to have.

better pic..

Image

Further reading from the Beano November 20th 1993..

Image

and winners from the Dandy January 29th, 1994.

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest