Free stuff in breakfast cereal.

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

will2097

Free stuff in breakfast cereal.

Post by will2097 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:45 am

I just recently got back into eating breakfast, to discover that there is no grotty little piece of plastic floating around in the bottom of the cereal bag. A quick check of Waitrose and it's true - no freebies. No little bits of crappy plastic or indeed stickers anywhere. My brother and I often fought to the death of these...

When did they get cancelled?

vixen

Post by vixen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:16 am

havn't you heard the latest?

they don't give plastic away much any more, it's 'non-educational' or something.

they do books now! :roll:

personally i think the plastic toys were better, you could hurt people with them! :lol: :twisted:
nuckin' futs!
bompletely collocksed
shotally t*tfaced

*sigs gone due to being too big!* THERE...ya happy?! miserable, bland, plain people.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:04 am

Someone probably choked on one.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:08 am

Mmm.. anyone remember Shrinkie Dinks in packs of Shreddies? :)

vixen

Post by vixen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:29 am

vaguely :o
nuckin' futs!
bompletely collocksed
shotally t*tfaced

*sigs gone due to being too big!* THERE...ya happy?! miserable, bland, plain people.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:32 am

Yep. Used to have a big collection of various freebies, but most of them got thrown out in a house move... :(

Particularly ones I remember include the Shrinky Dinks for the Black Hole, the Black Cauldron figures in Corn Flakes packets, and the divers/submarines that worked with bicarbonate of soda. Also got a set of Choose Your Own Adventure Books from Weetabix, IIRC.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:28 am

remember the "cool" plastic reflectors you got in your cereal that you could put on the spokes on your bike?

I had so many my bike used to get blown over in strong wind

(i didnt really, just exaggerating to prove a point!)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:02 am

merman wrote:Yep. Used to have a big collection of various freebies, but most of them got thrown out in a house move... :(

Particularly ones I remember include the Shrinky Dinks for the Black Hole, the Black Cauldron figures in Corn Flakes packets, and the divers/submarines that worked with bicarbonate of soda. Also got a set of Choose Your Own Adventure Books from Weetabix, IIRC.
Ooh , I think I remember these - was one something about a Bugatti? - what were the others?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:17 am

Shreddies sometimes put a PC CD game just inside the pack, that's the nearest you get for a freebee!

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:02 am

vixen wrote:havn't you heard the latest?

they don't give plastic away much any more, it's 'non-educational' or something.

they do books now! :roll:

personally i think the plastic toys were better, you could hurt people with them! :lol: :twisted:
and cd demos lol... its a bit of plastic

merman

Post by merman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:04 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
merman wrote:Yep. Used to have a big collection of various freebies, but most of them got thrown out in a house move... :(

Ooh , I think I remember these - was one something about a Bugatti? - what were the others?
That was the second set, I think, will have to find mine on the bookshelf in the other room...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:22 am

What I sometimes did if it was a good freebie was to sneakily open up a couple of boxes and take out the ones I liked then open up another box and put it all in there and put it in with the rest of the shopping. :oops:

How I never got caught I will never know. :lol:
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:17 am

bonerlaw wrote:remember the "cool" plastic reflectors you got in your cereal that you could put on the spokes on your bike?

They were cool, along with the clackers you had to put on so it sounded like you were riding a motorbike (though it sounded like one that was out of gear)

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:06 pm

retrogarden wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:remember the "cool" plastic reflectors you got in your cereal that you could put on the spokes on your bike?

They were cool, along with the clackers you had to put on so it sounded like you were riding a motorbike (though it sounded like one that was out of gear)
I just stuck a used coke can in between the brake and the tyre, no purchase needed :D
Watching you sleep since 1990

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
retrogarden wrote:

I just stuck a used coke can in between the brake and the tyre, no purchase needed :D
Apart from the can of coke.......

Anyone used to stick an old lolly pop stick in your cogs to make your bike sound like a motor bike............just me then????

:oops: