The Dark Crystal

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:08 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sega2006 wrote:Its not fizzyjig Its Fuzzgig
Fizzgig if you're being pedantic ;)
Fizzgig was the best thing about that movie...
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Beakerzoid

Post by Beakerzoid » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:09 pm

The Dark Crystal is a great film which stand up to the power of memory (unlike, say, Krull which is a steaming pile of poo when you rewatch it as an adult). The long mooted sequel to Crystal is (allegedly) coming out in 2009, but I'm not holding my breath - it was supposed to be out last year when it was first announced.

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:04 pm

i have that film on dvd i love it. Only problem being my nine year old nephew watched it whilst stopping over once and now his mum wonders why he finds hedgehogs kinda scary

CLOADM

Post by CLOADM » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:56 pm

Saw 'The Dark Crystal' on a double bill with 'Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom' back in the day when your cinema ticket packed a bit more value for money. Brilliant films, both of em. Not sure how i feel about Dark Crystal 2-hope it doesn't spoil things with too much cgi.
Saw loads of films as double bills when i was a kid, weird when i think these days i have to pay at least six quid just to see one!
End Of Line

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Fri May 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Dunno why I never noticed this thread before...

Dark Crystal is a fascinating piece of work. I only saw it less than ten years ago though when I was at uni and my girlfriend lent me it (we were both massive Labyrinth fans). I don't think it's a great film (I prefer Labyrinth in spades... partly due to nostalga of course and the ending gives me a fuzzy feeling) but Dark Crystal is amazing to look at and nothing like that would ever get made today.

Labyrinth the game was of course covered in the free Zzap! suppliment that came way back when but a making of feature would be incredible - surely that was the true beginning of Lucasart's point and click love affair. And what happened to the Speccy version?! Make it so!

I'd also like to know about other adventure games based on 80's movies, such as Ocean's NeverEnding Story. Don't make em like they used to, etc, etc...

ColonelK

Post by ColonelK » Sat May 31, 2008 5:18 pm

I always thought that the astrologer woman from Dark Crystal and the old trampy collector woman in Labyrinth, who appears after Sarah east the apple (with loads of stuff piled on her back) were the same muppet.

On a side note, she looks just like a woman that I used to work with, who we used to refer to as "Bulldog Face."

Odd, but true.