Films you REALLY wanted to see at the cinema?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:22 pm

Remember seeing Tron and then Retrun of the Jedi back to back in '83. My local cinema was closing down the day after and there were builders already taking down displays and such. 25 years on it's now an Aldi - yuck!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:30 pm

sscott wrote:Remember seeing Tron and then Retrun of the Jedi back to back in '83. My local cinema was closing down the day after and there were builders already taking down displays and such. 25 years on it's now an Aldi - yuck!
Return Of The Jedi was the first film I saw at the cinema, my dad took me for my birthday....hadn't seen A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back so I was a bit lost, but it sparked a lifelong obsession!

When Jabba The Hutt came on, my Dad said really loudly "I don't like it can we turn over?" :lol:

MC1

Post by MC1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm

sscott wrote:Remember seeing Tron and then Retrun of the Jedi back to back in '83. My local cinema was closing down the day after and there were builders already taking down displays and such. 25 years on it's now an Aldi - yuck!
Which cinema? Just nosey.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:31 am

djcarlos wrote:Return Of The Jedi was the first film I saw at the cinema, my dad took me for my birthday....hadn't seen A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back so I was a bit lost, but it sparked a lifelong obsession!
LOL - I am exactly the same except it was New Hope. My mum took me and my brother and hated every minute of it :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:24 pm

MC1 wrote:
Which cinema? Just nosey.
Bishop Aucland cinema in County Durham.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:52 pm

i hope this time, i can finally see an Indiana Jones movie how it was meant to be seen:

on t'big screen with copious amounts of popcorn and coke.

roll on may 22nd!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

TheCowardlyLion

Post by TheCowardlyLion » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:58 pm

I want to see 2001: A Space Odyssey on the big screen one day

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:23 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:i hope this time, i can finally see an Indiana Jones movie how it was meant to be seen:

roll on may 22nd!!
Have you not seen any of them at the flicks?
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:29 pm

felgekarp wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:i hope this time, i can finally see an Indiana Jones movie how it was meant to be seen:

roll on may 22nd!!

nope, no and never, all in that order!!

1981 - Raiders was released. i was merely a twinkle in me dads eye
1984 - Temple was released. i was quite happily crapping my nappy, unaware of the movie
1989 - Last Crusade was released. wanted to see it, but never got the chance. so, saw it on Sky a year later.

this is going to make up for those three missed, lost, never made chances!
and, from what i have heard, its every bit as good as the others. and Harrison Ford is just as spritely as a 40 year old.
i really can't wait!!
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:45 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:
felgekarp wrote:

roll on may 22nd!!

1984 - Temple was released. i was quite happily crapping my nappy, unaware of the movie
1989 - Last Crusade was released. wanted to see it, but never got the chance. so, saw it on Sky a year later.

and, from what i have heard, its every bit as good as the others. and Harrison Ford is just as spritely as a 40 year old.
i really can't wait!!
I think this is the first time on the forum I've actually felt old :D
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:37 pm

felgekarp wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:
felgekarp wrote: Have you not seen any of them at the flicks?

i really can't wait!!
I think this is the first time on the forum I've actually felt old :D
well, im not that old (25).i remember first seeing Raiders on betamax when i was 3, and being scared sh!tless by the melting faces and exploding head at the end.

now, i just think they're inventive pieces of cinema that can never be bettered.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:34 am

I would have loved to have seen some of the Indy movies on the bit screen. Raiders would have been difficult because I was only 4 at the time. Temple of Doom may have been possible as I had seen Return of the Jedi the year before, I remember getting the comic of it, not the same. I could have tone to see Last Crusade, did not harass the parents enough! I will to see Indy 4!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:33 am

Katzkatz wrote: I could have tone to see Last Crusade, did not harass the parents enough! I will to see Indy 4!

yes. yes you will. im dragging the missus to go see it. wether she likes it or not.

Beakerzoid

Post by Beakerzoid » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 am

SirClive wrote:First film I ever saw at the cinema and we were supposed to be seeing Pinnoccio I think but it was full so we saw Starwars instead. My mum was gutted. She has hated the film ever since. I remember going to the loo in the middle of the film and asking her to tell me what happened while I was away. I think her answer was 'I haven't understood a single thing since 'a long time ago...'

Like others have said, it change my world (as much as a 5 year olds world can change anyway)
I have to join the gang of "We were there when it all arrived in the 70s", although with my experience (at age of 4) my mum enjoyed it too (she's a sci-fi nut herself, which meant that I got to watch all the good films and TV as a kid - Star Trek, Prisoner, Galactica, etc).

I manage to see most films at the cinema now (usually in advance press showings so no popcorn munchers to annoy me). Only a few over the past year that I haven't seen (can't think off top of head which ones thought).

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:31 am

i wasn't born till 78 so didn't see any of the origional trilogy in the cinema...but i did go to see it in the 90's when it was re-released as part of the build up to episode 1. i was so exited i was shaking and i must have been nearly twenty! :D
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...