Films you REALLY wanted to see at the cinema?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:19 pm

necronom wrote:Aliens. It's the only "Alien" film I haven't seen at the cinema, and it's my favourite film of all time.

"The Terminator" is another I never saw.

I was too young when they were out.
Same here - although The Terminator is my fav and Aliens is my second fav. I just bought Aliens on DVD from Tesco for £3 yesterday - BARGAIN!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:37 pm

woody.cool wrote:
necronom wrote:Aliens. It's the only "Alien" film I haven't seen at the cinema, and it's my favourite film of all time.

"The Terminator" is another I never saw.

I was too young when they were out.
Same here - although The Terminator is my fav and Aliens is my second fav. I just bought Aliens on DVD from Tesco for £3 yesterday - BARGAIN!
Would loved to have seen Aliens at the pics - but I bet Alien was better . Saw T2 and that was pretty awesome
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Blumf

Post by Blumf » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:38 pm

Jaws. I would have loved to have seen that on the big screen.

I remember watching it back on TV back in in the early 80's, when it was first shown on TV, everybody at school was talking about it the next day. Thinking back it was probably the last great film event to be shown on TV before video rental really took off.

Ghostbusters, I really should have gone an seen this at the cinema. darn.

On the plus side, I did see all three original Star Wars films at the cinema when they were released.
And Aliens and Indiana Jones, so I'm not complaining too much. :)

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:51 pm

felgekarp wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:I was young/old enough to see Satr wars at the pics first time around
It was an awesome experience
Same here, it made it even more awe inspiring being only 4 at the time.
Are you me? I saw Close Encounters on the same night, although I found it pretty dull at the time, I love it now and my Blu Ray copy is winging it's way to me right now.

I don't think there are many films that I have missed at the cinema, I got to see Jaws about 7 years ago when a local multiplex started showing older films and since then have seen Bladerunner, Halloween, The Thing and various others that I was too young for at the time.

The only downpoint with these are they tend to be late showings mid week!!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:31 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:I was young/old enough to see Satr wars at the pics first time around
It was an awesome experience
Same here, it made it even more awe inspiring being only 4 at the time.
Are you me? I saw Close Encounters on the same night, although I found it pretty dull at the time, I love it now and my Blu Ray copy is winging it's way to me right now.

I don't think there are many films that I have missed at the cinema, I got to see Jaws about 7 years ago when a local multiplex started showing older films and since then have seen Bladerunner, Halloween, The Thing and various others that I was too young for at the time.

The only downpoint with these are they tend to be late showings mid week!!
Am I you, I'm not sure, you've got me all confused now. I did see Close Encounters at the pictures but I don't think it was in '77 and whilst not thinking it dull I didn't appreciate it then as much as I do now.

Does that multiplex still show older films then?
Splink!

atari_ghost

Post by atari_ghost » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:27 am

Uhm, I'd like to see Braveheart and Count of Monte Cristo again in cinemas. Only got to watch them on t.v.

supermario

Post by supermario » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:53 am

Paranoid Marvin wrote
but I bet Alien was better
When Alien 3 came out, our cinema re-showed Alien (which I'd never seen before) so I went to watch it. Class.

The "would like to see" list
Aliens, Blade Runner

The "nah nah I've seen these" list
Apocalypse Now, T2, Total Recall

When my bro was at Uni they showed the first 5 Star Trek films one after the other to a totally full cinema. Every time the Enterprise appeared there was cheering and every time the baddies appeared there were boos!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:56 am

T2 was the 'first date' I had with my ex wife. So it is all Arnie's fault.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:48 pm

Flight Of The Navigator (please don't hit me, I was only 10), even if the sound cut out a couple of times.
Aliens 3, not the best Aliens film I thought but the tunnel chasing scene was excellent together with the Dolby Surround sound.

thl

Post by thl » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Back in around 1988-89, I believed it was Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Batman, Ghostbusters 2 and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:13 pm

I would have like to have seen;

Terminator 1 and 2
Back to the Future 1 and 2 (have seen the third one at the cinema)
Blade Runner

Have seen at the IMAX: Batman; The Beginning (not sure of the title, but the last one out recently)
The adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl - 3D - no laughing here, I know but it was with my younger nephews and was it was quite good in the 'dreamland' 3D bit
Superman - the last one out

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:11 pm

Anything - im Stevie Wonder :cry:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

vp002

Post by vp002 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:19 am

DEAR ALL,

OUR LOCAL CINEWORLD CINEMA holds a 80s nite every month with the local paper with showing such gems as terminator 1 batman (burton) ghostbusters blade runner goodfellas and aliens,

They do this in birmingham but i am sure it could be done in any areas ! maybe if people pestered them enough they would do it.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:45 pm

first film I ever saw at cinema with my parents was the 1986 "classic" ferris buller, my dad loves that film, even now, I was 6, couldnt really comprehend what was going on....but watched it may years later and now love it.

Films Ive have liked to see at cinema:The Terminator, The Abyss, Aliens (all james cameron at the moment, but he shoots for the big screen). The original cuts of the starwars trilogy, blade runner and dark star.

My local cinema, the majestic in scunthorpe was a fantastic cinema, saw alot of movies there before the corporate bastards that were vue cinema moved in for the kill....anyway, the building was fantastic, late 40's early 50's sudo-art deco building, red crushed velvet, sticky floors and classic pearl and dean intros (lol). There was news of reopening the cinema as a restraunt in the lower floors and then adapeting the remaining screens to show classic movies from the past 50 years......the guy was outbid, his dreamed died, the cinema was knocked down, there building faceless office blocks where it once stood....shame on man, shame......
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:47 pm

vp002 wrote:DEAR ALL,

OUR LOCAL CINEWORLD CINEMA holds a 80s nite every month with the local paper with showing such gems as terminator 1 batman (burton) ghostbusters blade runner goodfellas and aliens,

They do this in birmingham but i am sure it could be done in any areas ! maybe if people pestered them enough they would do it.
If I pestered your local cineworld enough do you think they'd come to Sheffield? :D
Splink!