Trading cards with chewing gum in

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:12 pm

errr....

* EDIT *
Last edited by DonkeySpank on Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonkeySpank

Re:

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:13 pm

roberthazelby wrote: Why does that not surprise me ;)
You're Pac-Man mad I tell you.

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:19 pm

Anyone remember the Batman: The Movie trading cards? These were THE thing to own in '89/'90 where I grew up. They constantly sold out in all the shops in my home town so the kids were rabid for them. Whenever there was a rumour that a shop might have some in stock, kids would congregate for hours before it opened just in case. One kid in my class was even mugged for his complete set. I found one as I was moving house recently and all the memories came flooding back.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:49 pm

Ah man, Yeah memory trigger!!!!

I remember original Star Wars cards, Marvel Super Hero stickers, Star Trek The Motion Picture Cards and Superman The Movie Cards.

All the cards always had the unique smell of the sickly sweet gum that came with them.

Didn't the Starwars ones have a picture on the front and were part of a huge picture on the back?
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

greenberet79

Re:

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:59 am

Dark Reaper wrote:Anyone remember the Batman: The Movie trading cards? These were THE thing to own in '89/'90 where I grew up. They constantly sold out in all the shops in my home town so the kids were rabid for them. Whenever there was a rumour that a shop might have some in stock, kids would congregate for hours before it opened just in case. One kid in my class was even mugged for his complete set. I found one as I was moving house recently and all the memories came flooding back.
Blast from the forum past. I loved the Batman movie cards. It was such a huge film, everyone in school had the cards!

I also obsessed over Panini footy stickers, the Garbage Pail Kids, and the 1994 USA World Cup (for some reason!)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

themightymartin

Re: Trading cards with chewing gum in

Post by themightymartin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:00 pm

I have some Howard the Duck packs from the 80s. The gum is still in them. Who dares me to chew some? :)
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:17 pm

The only set I completed was the Spitting Image ones.
[img]http://martin_bradford.tripod.com/tennis/mcenroes.jpg[/img]
Going Solo...................

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Never saw proper trading cards. I remember Panini used to give away the sticker books in comics with one pack of stickers, then maybe another pack the following week, then leave you on your own. Not football, but I do remember a Return of the Jedi one. Not that I ever actually bought any more sticker packs as even then I could see what a rip-off the whole thing was.

pyroxian

Post by pyroxian » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:46 pm

I remember collecting Dune / Empire Strikes Back / Return of the Jedi stickers, but my Mum would only let me buy 1 pack a week. Then later, I collected all the TMNT cards (Think I've still got them somewhere)...

Then Magic: The Gathering came out, and it all got a bit out of control...

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:30 pm

tried to collect the panini cards but got bored with them but really got into the garbage pail kids cards,i had loads of them,stuck them in a book,don't know if there was an official book to put them in.a mate even had a hooky vhs of the film,in fact i think i'll have to see nock off nige to see if this can be found again.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:46 am

I have to admit I was crazy about Garbage Pail Kids, collected every single series of them and had hundreds.

I also collected the ALF ones for a while too and WWF

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 am

I still collect Garbage pail kids cards. I'm mainly concentrating on my ANS sets and flashback sets so my OS sets are on ebay at the moment. I have the USA origanal Series 4,7 and 9 for sale.

I also have a complete variation OS 10th set which I'm thinking of selling too but am not sure...