Trading cards with chewing gum in

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Ash

Trading cards with chewing gum in

Post by Ash » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:47 am

Can you even get these anymore?

I remember the gum tasted awful and the card collection was almost always impossible to complete. I spent most of my school days with about 50 Simpsons cards, tied together with an elastic band, weighing my pockets down ready to trade during the lunch break.

Wil

Post by Wil » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:00 am

I had two great binges on bubblegum cards in my youth. Google 'em both and see what a fool I was :D

Firstly - early 70s - You'll Die Laughing. Pics of classic Universal horror movies with 'funny' captions underneath (I have sccumbed to the dreaded fleayBay for these again recently - such is the power of nostalgia!)

1977 - Star Wars (this was a school-wide phenomenon at the time). I collected the red and blue sets.

My mate 'wallpapered' his room in Superman the movie bubblegum cards!

Wil
Last edited by Wil on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:54 am

Heh! I had those StarWars blue, red, and green sets back in the 70s. I also remember collecting the Superman Movie cards, and for some obscure reason the Battlestar Galactica cards too! A few years ago I bought (nearly) all the complete sets (5 of 'em!) of the Star Wars cards, then decided I needed all the Empire Strikes Back cards, and of course life wouldn't quite be complete without then having to get the Return of the Jedi sets too! Sad!! Then a mate came around and we watched Superman 2 on DVD, started chatting about the bubblegum cards we used to get, so then we decided that we needed to have these again - so started another card-hunt, this time for Superman Movie cards, then Supes2 and eventually I stopped after getting the Superman3 set! Phew! After that I had a break from bubblegum cards for a while until another mate of mine put his Goonies set up on eBay - I had to get them, just to p*ss him off! heh! Got them for under a fiver! :wink:

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:49 am

The ones that really took off at our school were Garbage Pail Kids.

For the unitiated: http://www.garbagepailkidsworld.com

A friend and I had a scheme we used to use with these cards, as well as the Panini footy stickers. We called it O.R.O.L.O. which was the acronym of Operation Rip Off Little Ones. We would trade cards in the playground and always pretend that the most common cards we had were rare, and so swap them for five or so properly rare cards (especiallt foil club badges) from these naive kids. Made a killing.

Then the staff actually SAW the Garbage Pail Kids cards and they were swiftly banned at school. A guerilla faction emerged of secret trading under jumpers and in the corners of the playground, but the teachers seemed to have some uncanny sixth sense, and would invariably swoop and rip up the cards in front of the distraught pupils.[/url]
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:23 pm

Used to get the Mad packs and wished I kept the album they were stuck in as it was great. :(

Also got the Pac-Man ones as well and loved the scratch card game that came with it, very nicely done. 8)
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

Ghostbiscuit

Post by Ghostbiscuit » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:53 pm

Yep, I traded all sorts, but seem to remember Turtles ones the most. The cards probably had more taste than the bubblegum. However, the ultimate at my school was the Panini Football '89 Sticker Album. Begging, borrowing and stealing were all commonplace to get that one completed.

I even have a complete collection of Star Wars Tazos (in an album), even though I should have probably known better at that age.

smilertoo

Post by smilertoo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:54 pm

Last ones i saw were just cards/stickers, no gum...so you dont get the nice smell.
yes i have a sig.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:17 am

I had the full set of 'gremlins' movie cards (chewing gum was powdery and gross)

also love garbage pail kids (can't remember if you got chewing gum with those)

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:49 am

Heh, I've got that Star Wars TAZO album right in front of me. Complete too.

I seem to remember some cards or stickers based around the Marvel comics characters - Dr.Doom, etc. They had gum with them. Must've been late 1970's I'd guess.

James A

Post by James A » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:27 pm

I used to have a massive collection of Garbage Pail Kids cards when i was in school, but as stated before they were banned. I got caught trading them in a lesson with a friend and had them swiftly confiscated by the teacher who said i could have them back at the end of the year. Anyway being a little swine in school at that age i made teachers life hell for the rest of the year only to have him destroy every card infront of me and my class on the last day

Last laugh was on me though as my dad caught up with the teacher and promptley recommended that he get me a new set of cards!!

I've seen people trying to sell the Star Wars Tazo album for stupid prices. The last one i saw at a carboot one woman was trying to sell it for£50 and it wasn' complete.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:09 pm

I also used to collect GPK cards, but they were never banned in our school. I even had (and still do, I think) some French ones that I got on holiday once. They were called 'Les Crados' and about twice the size of the regular ones. It wasn't particularly successful trying to trade them in the playground either :P

I remember the backs of the cards were actually as cool as the front, with comics and stuff on them, which was a nice touch.

They did come with chewing gum as well, koops, some tutti-frutti stuff.

retro mania

Post by retro mania » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:04 pm

I use to collect the simpsons trading cards they were massive at our school and yeah they had that horrible stick of chewing gum in.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:40 pm

Garbage Pail Kids even got it's own movie which was......garbage

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:28 am

I still have my complete set of Ninja Turtle series 1 & Movie 1 cards :)
I have a few series 2 cards but it died out before I could get too many.

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:12 am

Frank Chickens wrote:Also got the Pac-Man ones as well
Why does that not surprise me ;)

You're Pac-Man mad I tell you.