Retro trainers

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:18 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Aren't Pacers green and white stripes, not blue ;)
not sure what you mean? You can get Micropacers in loads of coours..

theres others aswell. some of those above i think look horrible though, I like the White ones but don't fancy paying £200+ :( Ive got some of the blue ones aswell but don't seem to wear them much.

SirClive

Re: Retro trainers

Post by SirClive » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:17 am

Bought a pair of these the other day...

They have a nice retro look to them.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:39 am

This has brought back some memories! :D

I used to have a pair of Gola, and a pair of Pony!

Then there was the Fila phase that everyone seemed to go through. I never did though I'm glad to say!

I suppose my first pair of trendy trainers were Reeboks.

Then a bit later at about the age of 11 or 12 I got a pair of Nike Airs.

These days though I nearly always wear Boots.
Press Play On Tape

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:12 am

Bloomin' ummer, I've got LOADS of trainers, probably 35-45 pairs, I've picked up oodles of pairs over the years and 99% only buy retro/retro-style ones (like the waves of 'new old' stuff Puma released round about 2001). Comfiest pair I've got is a toss-up between these old, 80s Asics running shoes and the classic-style blue/yellow suede Nike Cortez, though I primarily tend to stick with Adidas as the build quality is usually pretty solid and I like the stripes, and I have a fondness for the fairly boring-looking 'Campus'. I've never had a pair of Nike Air though, a mate at work keeps hassling me to buy a pair cos they are so comfy. Also got some proper 1984-style Saucony Jazz, really good for bouncing about in if a little basic-looking (I tend to prefer minimal, can't stand the current 'ED-209' look of modern day trainers.)

Also, in the mid-80s, at my school it was always about Puma Match, anyone remember them? (I had Gola, we were poor, but I really loved my Gola at the time, they were quality products, I didn't care about the Puma Match 'cos everyone else was wearing them!)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:27 am

I only have about 15 pairs, but many have only been worn once and some I have never worn. I tend to wear the same 2 pairs, but just can't help buying more when I see some I like.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:37 am

Crikey, you lot are worse than my missus ;)

I've got one pair of steel-toe working boots that I wear 99.9% of the time, and a pair of Wibbly shoes for "special".

That's enough :lol:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:32 am

The Master wrote:Crikey, you lot are worse than my missus ;)

I've got one pair of steel-toe working boots that I wear 99.9% of the time, and a pair of Wibbly shoes for "special".

Yeah right! I have slightly more though.....

I pair of boots.
I pair of trainers.
I pair of flip-flops for garden excursions.
I pair of slippers.
I pair of shoes for work.

ZXJacob

Post by ZXJacob » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:32 pm

During my school years in the 1980's my trainer of choice was the Puma 'Gripper' Which were Black with a typical 80's luminous yellow/Green lining. Also Adidas 'Youngster' were a fave. they were Black with purple and green stripes along the side.

I So Wish I had a pair now

Going into Secondary school the trainer of choice was either Nike air 'harache'? or Nike air Pegasus.

I am not to bothered about grabbing another pair of these.....

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:54 pm

ZXJacob wrote:
Going into Secondary school the trainer of choice was either Nike air 'harache'? or Nike air Pegasus.
'retro trainers' to me are probably newish to you folk but the craze when I was at school was Nike 'Shox'. I remember people going crazy everytime a new colour was released then spending another £80 or so on them just to look cool. Then there were the fake versions that the local (grotty) shopping centre used to sell :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:10 pm

I used to love Converse trainers, but al lthey seem to offer these days are those bloody all star canvas type things, which I don't like. I almost wish now that back in the day I had just bought several pairs of shoes at a time and stored them away, as my feet have not got any bigger. I did quite randomly buy a pair of virtually unworn Addidas skate shoes/trainers off ebay, the seller said they were from the 80's but I would place them more mid 1990s. They are blue with the really big chunky laces and really thick lines down the side. Luckily my size and had only been worn a few times so thought why not. Wish I I could ID the year they were made and model, they do have a sort of catalogue number on the insde of the label and codes, one ends in 96, which makes me thing thats was when they were made. If anyone knows how to read addidas product codes then let me know :D
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

greenberet79

Re:

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:27 pm

MC1 wrote:Can you remember Nike Wallywaffle?
Ok, 3 years too late....

I don't remember "wallywaffle" but I certainly remember Nike Waffle Racers (blue). In fact, I have a vintage pair at home. If anything ever happened to them I'd cry, they're spotless!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Re:

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:33 pm

bolda wrote:Adidas torsion... fitted with a kevlar strip to stop your ankle from rolling over! Superb! :D
Yes, I've only just discovered this topic - yeah I remember Torsion, with the bar on the sole. In fact, they're BACK! Somehow they don't seem as cool now though.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Re:

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Sureshot wrote:When I was at school, everyone was always trying to outdo each other with 'features' on trainers, mainly involving air properties. Trainers with bigger air bubbles were somehow better, and although stuff like Reebok Pumps would get you some positive marks, Hexalites were not as cool as Nike equivalents. I remember one kid got some of the first Air Maxes outside of America and he instantly got inflated status just because of this.
I had a pair of Reebok Pump Hexalites, white, blue and black. I loved them. More than I liked my Reebok Pump high tops.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:08 pm

I had some really nice Adidas trainers a few years ago, they were designed like old racing driver shoes, with soles like tyre treads and a map of the Monza circuit inside.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 pm

djcarlos wrote:
The Master wrote:Crikey, you lot are worse than my missus ;)

Yeah right! I have slightly more though.....

I pair of boots.
I pair of trainers.
I pair of flip-flops for garden excursions.
I pair of slippers.
I pair of shoes for work.
I forgot the slippers, just replaced mine after two years of service. I've also got a pair of wellies.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip