Retro trainers

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:19 pm

When I was at school, everyone was always trying to outdo each other with 'features' on trainers, mainly involving air properties. Trainers with bigger air bubbles were somehow better, and although stuff like Reebok Pumps would get you some positive marks, Hexalites were not as cool as Nike equivalents. I remember one kid got some of the first Air Maxes outside of America and he instantly got inflated status just because of this.

In this trend, I remember getting some LA Gear boot things with the most ridiculous pump ever on them, with a gauge telling you how much air was in them. Needless to say, as with every other Pump trainer, they broke pretty swiftly (after I played a footie tournament in them). Utterly useless, but how people gawped at the little plastic orange gauges going up when they actually worked.

Jesus, what a waste of time that whole situation was :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:16 pm

djcarlos wrote:I had Reebok Pumps....they were great, until the time I SNAPPED MY ACHILLES TENDON while wearing a pair on a school sponsored walk.

I put my foot down a rabbit hole after about nine miles, heard and felt a snap but carried on.

The support from the trainers was so good, I walked another ELEVEN MILES and finished the sponsored walk, and then walked another FIVE MILES home.

Then I deflated the Reeboks.

Oh...my...god.
Pictures?

I never got into the pumps thing, I always thought it a bit silly. Ditto with the ridiculous prices for trainers then and now. A nice mid range £30-40 pair does the job, looks good without breaking the bank, well enough you don't get looked at like a twonk.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rupert

Post by rupert » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:04 pm

I recall at high school there was abit of a craze for reebok graphite trainers, the ones were half the sole is missing and you get a piece of Carbon Fibre stuff instead. I had 2 pairs of them, king for a week, happy days.. If only life was so simple these days.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:07 pm

I remeber light up ones from when I was in primary school. I couldnt have alot of cool shoes when I was in Secondary due to my feet being freakishly large. Of late I found a stockist of large size Vans Skate shoes which are pretty cool and exspensive a £50 a pop

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:56 pm

I had a pair of 'LA Lights' - I don't know if anyone here remembers them - they had red LEDs on them which would light up for a second or two upon contact with the floor.

bolda

Post by bolda » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:33 pm

Adidas torsion... fitted with a kevlar strip to stop your ankle from rolling over! Superb! :D

And to bring up an age old argument... is it pronounced "A-did-ass" or "A-deeeee-das"?... I go for the latter... :?

Those "wheelie" pumps that the nippers are wearing these days are acers... wish they'd had them when I was a kid like... Why don't they make them for grown ups? I'd love to whizz to work in a pair of them! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:05 pm

djcarlos wrote:I had Reebok Pumps.
Same here. They were the ones with the pump bit that looked like a basket ball. 8)
djcarlos wrote:I put my foot down a rabbit hole after about nine miles.......
Did no one tell you that that's not a sensible thing to do? :lol:

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 am

bolda wrote:And to bring up an age old argument... is it pronounced "A-did-ass" or "A-deeeee-das"?... I go for the latter... :?
At school we always used to say the latter too... I dunno, how did the UK adverts say it? Continental pronunciation is like a mix between the two; still with a "deeee", but with the emphasis on the first syllable.

What about Nike, what's up with all that "nai-kee" business??? Nike rhymes with Bike :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:09 am

The ones the kids have nowadays, with the small wheels in the back i can obviously see why theyre so popular. I'm surprised you dont hear about lots of accidents with those specially from some mums looking for some compensation !

merman

Post by merman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:55 am

The Master wrote:
bolda wrote:And to bring up an age old argument... is it pronounced "A-did-ass" or "A-deeeee-das"?... I go for the latter... :?
At school we always used to say the latter too... I dunno, how did the UK adverts say it? Continental pronunciation is like a mix between the two; still with a "deeee", but with the emphasis on the first syllable.

What about Nike, what's up with all that "nai-kee" business??? Nike rhymes with Bike :D
Nike is the Greek goddess of victory, and is pronounced "nai-kee", as you put it...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 am

The Greek goddess of victory rhymes with bike? :shock:
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:58 pm

No

merman

Post by merman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:46 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:The Greek goddess of victory rhymes with bike? :shock:
No, it rhymes with bikey...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:14 pm

The Greek goddess of victory is a pikey? :shock:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Does that mean that you guys say stuff like:

I likey to ridey my bikey because I'm a pikey! :lol: