70s sci-fi flicks before Star Wars

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:32 am

I've always thought the opposite, as its shaped like the drawings of female reproductive system you'd get at school.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Re: 70s sci-fi flicks before Star Wars

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:59 am

Wil wrote:I just watched the I Am Legend trailer (Will Smith - last man on Earth - or not) which, of course, was first done as The Omega Man with Chuck Heston in '71 and I'm wondering if it'll be Planet of the Apes all over again - better effects but a far worse film.
Love that film. Amazing the scenes where hes just driving round an empty city. Also love that scene in 28 days later where London seems deserted.

Didnt know there was going to be a remake, happy to see that, hopefully it'll be decent.

jimid2

Post by jimid2 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:36 am

Randall Flagg wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Also worthy of note is War Of The Worlds ,although I really wish they'd make a version set in Victorian England , as in the book
Someone has an apparently its f**kin awful!!!

see here - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425638/
I own that Victorian-setting, true-to-Wells version of The War of the Worlds on DVD, and it is rather sad... It was an ambitious project that was grossly under-funded from the start, and ends up coming off something like what you would get if you set up a video camera to capture an amateur theatre company reading Wells' novel, and then added some basement generated special effects using your Amiga with a Video Toaster... That being said, I was able to sit through its entirety (once), and it was nice to see the original novel brought to the screen, however feebley... We can only hope that someone does a live action version right someday, but after Speilburg's maudlin reworking, we probably won't see another version for 20 years...

Unfortunately, although there was talk of a CGI version of Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" a couple years back when the hype for Speilburg's film was high, it seems to have died a quiet death since then - I can't find anything about current production on the web...

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:18 pm

jimid2 wrote:....CGI version of Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds".....
There was a DVD of one of his recent performances which had CGI parts in it. It was filmed in Wembley Arena on 25/04/2006. He's also doing some performances this year as well (I've already got tickets to the December 22 show)! On place to get more info is War of the Worlds site.

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:30 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Things To Come , Close Encounters , The Day The Earth Stood Still , Forbidden Planet , This Island Earth , At The Earths Core ,When Worlds collide... the list is endless

Also worthy of note is War Of The Worlds ,although I really wish they'd make a version set in Victorian England , as in the book
i agree for war of the words in victorian england.

i quite liked Forbidden Planet 1956

Barkie

films

Post by Barkie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:51 am

I loved Omega man and Soylent Green, hope the new version of Omega man is good.

Then again it's Will Smith so it could be full of silly one liners.

Some other films to check out are Fahrenheit 451 (also up for a remake i hear) and Invasion of the body snatchers 50's and 70's versions.

Also Outland with Sean Connery a sort of high noon in space, great film.

Emperor_Megatron

Post by Emperor_Megatron » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:54 pm

I actually quite enjoy Death Race 2000, the remake of that is going to clock the shabs.
Rollerball is awesome, I daresay without Rollerball we would not have Speedball, and without Speedball there would be no Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe. Mhmmmmmm!
My girlfriend tells me theres a film called "The Miracle Mile" that isn't quite sci fi but she tells me its quite quite brilliant. Not sure when it was made though.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:43 pm

As a fan of the novel I enjoyed the 1956 version of 'Nineteen Eighty Four'. It is rather grand and the actual 1984 movie version conveys the spirit novel alot better.

There is a remake due out in 2009.

'It! The Terror from Beyond Space' is, despite the title, a fantastic little Sci-Fi movie from 1958. A space ship (a typical 1950's rocket shaped affair) is sent to rescue the crew of an earlier, ill-fated, mission. Finding only one survivor they suspect him of murdering the crew. However, when they blast off for Earth they soon discover they are not alone.

Some have claimed that 'It!' was one of the inspirations for Ridley Scott's masterpiece 'Alien' (some have even gone so far as to suggest that 'Alien' is in fact a remake of 'It!').

jimid2

Post by jimid2 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:59 pm

DrBlue wrote: 'It! The Terror from Beyond Space' is, despite the title, a fantastic little Sci-Fi movie from 1958. A space ship (a typical 1950's rocket shaped affair) is sent to rescue the crew of an earlier, ill-fated, mission. Finding only one survivor they suspect him of murdering the crew. However, when they blast off for Earth they soon discover they are not alone.

Some have claimed that 'It!' was one of the inspirations for Ridley Scott's masterpiece 'Alien' (some have even gone so far as to suggest that 'Alien' is in fact a remake of 'It!').
hehehe... It! The Terror From Beyond Space is certainly fun, and it certainly is "fantastic"... I love the way they wield side arms and throw hand grenades in their tiny space craft as if the hull were two-foot thick concrete!

On the topic of good movies with silly titles, The Monster That Challenged The World is certainly worth a look, as is The Monolith Monsters - both are above average 50's Sci-Fi fare...

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:55 pm

my favs in ascending order (silly organ music, please)

The Omega Man
The War Of the Worlds (1958) (and a remake set in victorian london sounds good...now, imagine it with Jeff Wayne's music....mmmmm)
OUTLAND
Battle Beyond The Stars (live fast, fight well and have a beautiful ending..)
the Quiet Earth (similar to the last man on earth but everyone gets eradiated into nothing through nuclear testing)
battlestar Galactica (imho better than the 2003 re-imagining and it counts as the pilot was re-edited to 125 mins for its theatrical release)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:12 pm

I'm amazed at how many people like Battle Beyond The Stars considering the reputation it's got, my parents took me to see it when I was younger, it was on at the local cinema that showed mainly adult films, Russ Meyer stuff etc, so not only did I get to see a great sci-fi film but I got to see some fantastic film posters as well :D
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:39 pm

its just one of those films thats, even though a complete rip-off of both seven samurai and magnficent seven, its still a brilliant film in its own right!

and to me, the bottom front part of the ship looked a bit like a pair of boobies with nipulars on...
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:26 am

JetSetWilly wrote:its just one of those films thats, even though a complete rip-off of both seven samurai and magnficent seven, its still a brilliant film in its own right!

and to me, the bottom front part of the ship looked a bit like a pair of boobies with nipulars on...
It even ripped off Robert Vaughan ;)

Yes definitely looked like an enormous pair of norks, if I remember rightly the actress who played the ship's captain was suitably well-endowed as well..

EDIT: Yep I wasn't wrong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_Danning

Really should try and get on with some work now ;)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:50 pm

mikeb wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:its just one of those films thats, even though a complete rip-off of both seven samurai and magnficent seven, its still a brilliant film in its own right!

It even ripped off Robert Vaughan ;)

Yes definitely looked like an enormous pair of norks, if I remember rightly the actress who played the ship's captain was suitably well-endowed as well..

EDIT: Yep I wasn't wrong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_Danning

Really should try and get on with some work now ;)

oh, yeah? 'work' is it? i know what i call it! i call it wan.....

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:32 pm

I still love 'Logans Run' although this was made in 1976 so only just before Star Wars.

A quirky, slightly dark film I feel made all the better for the lovely Jenny Agutter!
'What's a Ftoomch?'