70s sci-fi flicks before Star Wars

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Wil

70s sci-fi flicks before Star Wars

Post by Wil » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:20 am

I'm not getting in to whether Star Wars is sci-fi or fantasy or whatever; you know what I mean :)

I just watched the I Am Legend trailer (Will Smith - last man on Earth - or not) which, of course, was first done as The Omega Man with Chuck Heston in '71 and I'm wondering if it'll be Planet of the Apes all over again - better effects but a far worse film.

Sci-fi back then certainly wasn't all flash and spaceship chases but they definitely had something we don't get now (apart from downbeat endings).

So, what were your faves? I'll go for Beneath the Planet of the Apes (psychic mutants and everybody dies!), A Boy and his Dog (with a pre Vice Don Johnson), Zardoz (Sean Connery in a red nappy with a flying gun spitting statue head) and, save the trees with amputees in robot suits adventure Silent Running.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:03 am

The Omega man is by far one of my fave movies of all time!!!! Have loved it since I was a kid.

Yup, beneath the planet of the apes is the best for pure freakyness although the first one for pure originality is close behind. The other 3 were ok but all had the cash in vibe....

There was loads of pre star wars scifi thats still a gud watch today....

Dark Star
Silent Runner

Both great movies. Also if u like omega man then try "The last man on earth" another movie based on the I am Legend book but a bit older. still an interesting watch an follows the book story more closely.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:32 am

Yup, Silent Running is pure class. My wife found the end of the movie absolutely devastating - I've never seen her cry so much over a film! :D

I also have a lot of love for 70's-80's Sci Fi, THX 1138 and Blade Runner being other favorites.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:59 am

What about 2001?

Pure class!!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:14 am

2001, Dark Star and Silent Running are excellent films :)

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:51 am

Silent Running. One of my faves. A beautiful film. Bruce Dern portrays his part with aplomb.

Hollywood - please do...NOT...remake! Thank you. :D

OK, so it came out after Star Wars but I also love Capricorn One, a sci-fi film that doesn't rely on fx (for our benefit, just the watching world). Brilliant.

Andromeda Strain, Coma and The China Syndrome are also excellent.

Elgin_McQueen

Re: 70s sci-fi flicks before Star Wars

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:36 am

Wil wrote:I just watched the I Am Legend trailer (Will Smith - last man on Earth - or not) which, of course, was first done as The Omega Man with Chuck Heston in '71 and I'm wondering if it'll be Planet of the Apes all over again - better effects but a far worse film.

Personally I reckon Will Smith does too good a job of getting involved in his movies to let that happen.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 am

One of the best sci-fi films of all time, The Day the Earth Stood Still, came out in 1951.

Other pre Star Wars to concider,

Westworld (Jurassic Park with cowboys), Logan's Run (Jenny Agutter, hubba, hubba), A Boy and his Dog (a good Don Johnson film!!!), Rollerball (a reason why remakes should be banned) and the Thing From Another World, (ok, so not all remakes).
Last edited by Scapegoat on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:04 am

Scapegoat wrote:One of the best sci-fi films of all time, The Day the Earth Stood Still, came out in 1951.
Another one up for a remake - out next year. What's the betting he'll be warning us of our own destruction through global warming this time?

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:19 am

Wil wrote:
Scapegoat wrote:One of the best sci-fi films of all time, The Day the Earth Stood Still, came out in 1951.
Another one up for a remake - out next year. What's the betting he'll be warning us of our own destruction through global warming this time?
But It must be good 'cos it has Keanu Reeves in it! :shock: :evil:

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:50 am

Scapegoat wrote:
Wil wrote:
But It must be good 'cos it has Keanu Reeves in it! :shock: :evil:
I reckon he's playing Gort.

And yeah, I'll go with Westworld (although not Futureworld).
Last edited by Wil on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Planet of the Apes was cool!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

moshboy

Post by moshboy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:55 am

I'll second Rollerball... awesome pre-Star Wars flick. The remake was just awful.

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:02 am

Rollerball was an AA. They wouldn't let me in to see it so I had to wait until video arrived.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:16 am

Sputryk wrote:Silent Running. One of my faves. A beautiful film. Bruce Dern portrays his part with aplomb.

Hollywood - please do...NOT...remake! Thank you. :D

OK, so it came out after Star Wars but I also love Capricorn One, a sci-fi film that doesn't rely on fx (for our benefit, just the watching world). Brilliant.

Andromeda Strain, Coma and The China Syndrome are also excellent.
OMG yeah. Capricorn one is an absolute classic. Elliot gould at his best!!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image