Computer, Game Consoles, Arcade Cameo role in Films&TV

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:42 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:The Wizard - a kids flick with that dude (Paul Savage) from the Wonder Years also features a NES.
this movie was just a bloody long nintendo advert that kids paid to see. fantastic marketing. kids wanted to see it because nintendo had put footage of the (at that point) unreleased new mario game as the final "battle"

i just finished the book game over by david sheff theres a lot of cool stuff in there about that

im downloading a movie called "joysticks" at the moment. thats gonna have a few in

8 simple rules always has an xbox in.

sorry but it was Fred Savage not paul

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:19 am

Anybody remember "The Adventure Game" in the early 80's on the BBC? Early forerunner to the Crystal Maze, only WAAAAAAAAAY trippier (Drogna Drogna!) There was a final game they played every week called "the Vortex" where volunteers used to play turn-based "stepping stones"sort of game, taking care not to step on the same spot as the AI controlled player.
All done on a BBC micro I beleive. Well it would be, wouldn't it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:45 am

Moira Stewart the news reader was the host.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:51 am

Outrun arcade, came out on The Bill being played by off duty police badly and having a go at each other. That was years ago though.

Was watching Harry Enfield's TV Programme on UKTV G2 last weekend & saw a scene from The Scousers when they were nicking stuff from each others rooms, one of them being an NES.

Anyone wanna see retro machines on display as brand new, then watch the old Bullseye. So far have seen an Amstrad CPC 464, Sega Master System & Commodore Amiga. I'm pretty sure but can't remember too well that a C64 and an Atari 800 has also been featured.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:08 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:Anybody remember "The Adventure Game" in the early 80's on the BBC? Early forerunner to the Crystal Maze, only WAAAAAAAAAY trippier (Drogna Drogna!) There was a final game they played every week called "the Vortex" where volunteers used to play turn-based "stepping stones"sort of game, taking care not to step on the same spot as the AI controlled player.
All done on a BBC micro I beleive. Well it would be, wouldn't it.
The graphics (and sound) of the Vortex were done on a BBC, then added by chroma-key (blue screen) to the live action.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:46 pm

hudson hawk had the line

"will you play nintendo with me"

does that count. i believe nintendo is also mentioned just as he gets out of prison.
cant remember if you actually see a console and im not watching it again.

home alone has a nes in the big brothers room too i think

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:00 pm

Actually surprised now that no-one's mentioned Stay Alive. Not seen it in full yet but they referred to Silent Hill 4 as well as various other games.

I think there was also loads of arcade machines being played in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the first movie) at Shredder's place.

Plus did anyone see the episode of X-Files called DPO? A high score screen on an arcade machine which showed a list of names, times and dates... but no actual scores?

Home Improvement also had an episode with the kids playing on arcade games in a bowling alley (it's the episode where Tim's wife keeps beating him in ten pin bowling). It ends up with a bully being handcuffed to the machine? (And that's punishment how?)
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:00 am

Just watch Stormbreaker with my daughters. Alex Rider has been supplied with a modified red DS, one cartridge to track bugging equipment, another is communication, another releases tear gas from the machine and Mario Kart DS for playing during the journey.

The Adventure Game the early espisodes had a actual BBC B as a task, it was a maze program they had to get through to complete it.

Futurama had a espisode titled "Was if it was like?" Fry wonder life like as a video game.

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:05 pm

ichi the killer has loads of playstation bits in

MC1

Post by MC1 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:30 pm

sleeper77 wrote:Anyone wanna see retro machines on display as brand new, then watch the old Bullseye. So far have seen an Amstrad CPC 464, Sega Master System & Commodore Amiga. I'm pretty sure but can't remember too well that a C64 and an Atari 800 has also been featured.
I didnt realise Bulleye had boobie prizes.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:25 am

Just watching Ghostbusters last night I have notice a couple of arcade machines were they eating their last meal before their first ghost capture.
I have a small telly and just can't read the name of the machines.
Can anybody help?
Captured the image on computer but can't placed it on the message thing.

"We came...We saw...We kicked its Ass!!!"

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:05 am

what was that movie where the guy gets the high score on some space invaders kind of game and aliens come get him to fight for them ?
did i dream it ?
i only remember that little bit. sorry

must stop playing invaders and eating cheese before bedtime

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:16 am

punkdaddy wrote:what was that movie where the guy gets the high score on some space invaders kind of game and aliens come get him to fight for them ?
did i dream it ?

The last Star Fighter.
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

Wil

Post by Wil » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:23 am

http://www.apple.com/trailers/pictureho ... g/trailer/

The new Wizard? Well, not really (not at all, actually) but it looks like a good watch.

punkdaddy

Post by punkdaddy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:28 pm

Wildnites wrote:
punkdaddy wrote:what was that movie where the guy gets the high score on some space invaders kind of game and aliens come get him to fight for them ?
did i dream it ?

The last Star Fighter.

cheers man