How toys affected your gaming

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kaptain_Von

How toys affected your gaming

Post by Kaptain_Von » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:57 am

Whilst lounging around our staffroom some of us like-minded people got to talking about how what we played with as kids affected our later gaming preferences. I had not really thought about it but it was quite interesting to realise that in effect I have continued to play the same sort of things as I did as a child but in a different medium.

When I was a kid my favourite toys were Airfix soldiers, Matchbox cars and Lego. The soldiers got played with the most and imaginary battles would rage for days over my bedroom floor. Lego tended to be used to build villages and bunkers for them to do battle in. The cars would naturally be raced down the old fashioned tracks that you could buy for this purpose.

Nowadays, apart from 'retro' games my preferred genres are the FPS, mainly ones like the 'Call of Duty', 'Medal of Honor' series, 'Brothers in Arms', 'Killzone', 'Ironstorm' and racing games such as the 'Burnout' series. So, in effect the plastic soldiers and die cast cars of my childhood just gave way to playing soldiers and cars in another medium. Having chatted with colleagues this seems the same with them as the ones who enjoyed playing with toy cars the most seem to prefer the racing genre, the ones who played with toy soldiers the most prefer FPS type games or military sims, the Lego obsessed ones seem to like god games or city simulations, the D&D players are into RPGs and utterly bizarrely the one who seemed to spend his childhood climbing trees is into platformers.

So, the question is: Did the toys you played with when you were a kid affect the games that you play nowadays ?
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:26 am

No.

Next question, please...

Hungry Horace

Re: How toys affected your gaming

Post by Hungry Horace » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:03 am

Kaptain_Von wrote:Whilst lounging around our staffroom some of us like-minded people got to talking about how what we played with as kids affected our later gaming preferences. I had not really thought about it but it was quite interesting to realise that in effect I have continued to play the same sort of things as I did as a child but in a different medium.

When I was a kid my favourite toys were Airfix soldiers, Matchbox cars and Lego. The soldiers got played with the most and imaginary battles would rage for days over my bedroom floor. Lego tended to be used to build villages and bunkers for them to do battle in. The cars would naturally be raced down the old fashioned tracks that you could buy for this purpose.

Nowadays, apart from 'retro' games my preferred genres are the FPS, mainly ones like the 'Call of Duty', 'Medal of Honor' series, 'Brothers in Arms', 'Killzone', 'Ironstorm' and racing games such as the 'Burnout' series. So, in effect the plastic soldiers and die cast cars of my childhood just gave way to playing soldiers and cars in another medium. Having chatted with colleagues this seems the same with them as the ones who enjoyed playing with toy cars the most seem to prefer the racing genre, the ones who played with toy soldiers the most prefer FPS type games or military sims, the Lego obsessed ones seem to like god games or city simulations, the D&D players are into RPGs and utterly bizarrely the one who seemed to spend his childhood climbing trees is into platformers.

So, the question is: Did the toys you played with when you were a kid affect the games that you play nowadays ?
To a degree, I would agree with you. Living in Devon as I do (and did when a child), I always had fields close to my house. When I was young, and the world was so that my friends and I could go and play in the fields without any worries in the evenings, I lived a life of imagination and adventure. The fields were full of dens, small rivers and trees to climb, and we soon began to craft an alternate universe, a form of Dungeons and Dragons lite, in which we were the defenders. It then comes as no shock that I got in roleplay a little after I became a gamer; and to this day RPG and adventure are my favourite genres by quite a mile.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Morkin

Re: How toys affected your gaming

Post by Morkin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:41 pm

Kaptain_Von wrote:
No.

Like you I had Lego, Matchbox cars, Action Men, but I prefer stuff like Katamari, Animal Crossing & the odd platformer. The only games where I do shooty shooty stuff, is Splinter Cell.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:56 pm

It was more the other way round. I saw my Dad playing Duke Nukem or Doom and that had me playing with some toy pistol I got for Christmas. When I first saw driver I wanted to play with simlar toy cars.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:12 am

I think it's more of case that the toys I liked and the games I played / play both reflect the things I enjoy, rather than one making me like the other.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

LoungeVamp

Post by LoungeVamp » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:12 am

I mostly played with Barbie dolls and matches...

I...I had a troubled childhood alright :cry:

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:48 am

I guess space lego and Elite have some vague link....

I don't seem to remember smashing up my mates lego spaceships and then trying to sell my mate as a slave though.....or storing large amounts of narcotics in my spaceships either :D
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:04 am

Hmm. I'm not sure. I played with stuff like Action Force, and I made model aeroplanes a lot when I was a young 'un, and I guess that could have had something to do with me being into simulators and turn-based strategy games.

But then again I also played with Micro Machines LOADS and I've never been that much into driving games.

Robbo

Re:

Post by Robbo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:20 am

revgiblet wrote:I think it's more of case that the toys I liked and the games I played / play both reflect the things I enjoy, rather than one making me like the other.
Yep

ImperialWalker

Post by ImperialWalker » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:32 am

I find myself asking for a 'Lego Star Wars' game for PS2 for christmas last year when I used to be lego mad when I was a kid! I buy matchbox cars with my pocket money so it would look and play great on my toy car mat, then it inspired me to buy Stuntman, Sega Rally and Burnout games. I used to play on the skateboard a lot which eventually transformed itself into Tony Hawks series of games!

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:06 am

for the most part I stopped playing with toys when I got my first home computer. I pretty much considered any toy totally inferior to the amount of entertainment a computer could give.....probably why I had no friends..... :D
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Serial killer

Post by Serial killer » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:25 pm

Didn't have toys as a child just had an orange and a pencil and that had to last me all year til christmas when i got a new orange! :lol:

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:56 am

Serial killer wrote:Didn't have toys as a child just had an orange and a pencil and that had to last me all year til christmas when i got a new orange! :lol:
With a name like yours i thought you might have been given a knife as a toy for Xmas when you were young !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:08 am

Does this work in reverse? Will our younger members brought up in the era of rumble packs have an affinity with vibrating toys in adulthood? :lol:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.