STAR TREK 2

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:12 pm

I took Tuesday off work and with a bit of help with Sky+ throughtout the day I watched all 5 of the ones they showed on Tuesday back to back.

8)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:38 pm

i missed it. was at work from 10 till 7. and when i got in just couldnt be knackered to move.Generations is on now, though. might watch the rest of it.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:44 pm

managed to catch Star trek 2 on telly last night (sat), and it was the directors cut!!! followed by TMP directors edition. with the added effects and re-cut scenes. in my element or what!!!
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:51 pm

dont like star trek full stop i,m affraid .to much of a huge star wars fan

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:16 pm

i like star wars just as much as star trek. in my opinion, they both have strengths and weanesses.

weakness for star trek: the original series had some dodgy acting
weakness for star wars: hayden christiansons acting in ep 2 and 3 was as wodden as an MDF panel

strengths for star trek: space battles, phaser battles, comedy (spock and mccoy) and khan
strengths for star wars: death star battles, lightsaber duels, natalie portman and darth vader

as i say, i like both. im not partial to one over the other. mainly because im a hugh sci-fi fan. hey, even like AKIRA!!!

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:41 am

I enjoyed TWoK but I could never get past the fact that Chekov had never met Kahn (Kahn featured in the first season of TOS whereas Chekov didn't appear until season 2).

Always hated The Search For Spock though. A cheaper, nastier Star Trek movie has never been made (even Nemesis wasn't that bad).

Leonard Nimoy hated filming ST:TMP and decided he didn't want to do Star Trek anymore so they killed him off in II. However he actually enjoyed filming II so much that he changed his mind afterwards so they had to create another movie where they brought him back to life.

This irritates me somewhat as Nimoy is due to cameo in the new Star Trek movie whereas Shatner isn't because the character of Kirk is dead (okay we all know the Kirk isn't really dead and that in the novels he was brought back to life by the Borg, but the novels aren't canon). If they can bring Spock back it seems a bit unfair that they can't do the same for the most legendary character to ever grace a screen.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:03 pm

DrBlue wrote:This irritates me somewhat as Nimoy is due to cameo in the new Star Trek movie whereas Shatner isn't because the character of Kirk is dead (okay we all know the Kirk isn't really dead and that in the novels he was brought back to life by the Borg, but the novels aren't canon). If they can bring Spock back it seems a bit unfair that they can't do the same for the most legendary character to ever grace a screen.
i know how you feel. a star trek movie without kirk is like chips without barbecue sauce: no point

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:01 pm

i know how you feel. a star trek movie without kirk is like chips without barbecue sauce: no point
:lol: Especially in a Star Trek movie which will feature the original Spock!

Heroes fans, Zachary Quinto (Sylar) plays Spock (although Leonard Nimoy is to cameo as an 'older' Spock) in the new movie. No news on Kirk though...

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:24 pm

DrBlue wrote:
:lol: Especially in a Star Trek movie which will feature the original Spock!

Heroes fans, Zachary Quinto (Sylar) plays Spock (although Leonard Nimoy is to cameo as an 'older' Spock) in the new movie. No news on Kirk though...

is it Shia lebouf from Transformers whos playing younger kirk?

memo to paramount; bring back William Shatner! He IS KIRK

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:04 pm

I haven't heard anything, could be though.

I'd have forgiven it even if they had a 70 year old, rather portly William Shatner pretending he was 40 years young surrounded by younger people playing the other roles.

Although I've actually grown to like James Cawley who plays Kirk in New Voyages (http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/). I'd better stop now, I'm entering serious nerd territory...

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:27 pm

DrBlue wrote:I haven't heard anything, could be though.

I'd have forgiven it even if they had a 70 year old, rather portly William Shatner pretending he was 40 years young surrounded by younger people playing the other roles.

Although I've actually grown to like James Cawley who plays Kirk in New Voyages (http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/). I'd better stop now, I'm entering serious nerd territory...
join the club, dude. join the club!!

have you heard anymore of the online trek movie? cant remember what its called, but its got Chekov, Sulu and the bloke from generations in it who played the captain of the Enterprise-B

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:48 pm

I'd be quite happy to see an animated (note NOT CGI!) movie voiced by either the original actors (if alive) or impressionists (if they have passed away)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:44 am

JetSetWilly wrote:
DrBlue wrote:I haven't heard anything, could be though.

join the club, dude. join the club!!

have you heard anymore of the online trek movie? cant remember what its called, but its got Chekov, Sulu and the bloke from generations in it who played the captain of the Enterprise-B
The bloke from generations who played captain of the Enterprise-B was Alan Ruck (Capt. Harriman) also played as a passenger in the film "Speed"

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:47 am

resident paul wrote:The bloke from generations who played captain of the Enterprise-B was Alan Ruck (Capt. Harriman) also played as a passenger in the film "Speed"

And he was in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:56 am

Cameron.....!!!!

I don't know why people dis Generations so much.

Sure, Wrath of Khan is by far the best movie fo the lot but I think gens had a huge job of linkin the two crews together in some tenuous way an the story does it perfectly. It modernised the entire trek scene well, had a bit of everything in there to cover all tastes an was generally a well thought out top movie.

Still get goosebumps on the opening music with bottle of dom perignon spinnin in space.

No.1 - Wrath (by a long way)
No.2 - joint between Generations an First Contact

The rest in no specific order...they all got something!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image