A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:50 am

Isn't that Brother Beyond?

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:41 pm

Sputryk wrote:Groovy! 8)

Will it consist of just the Top 40 or the official Top 75? Or, for that matter, the extended Top 100?! :D

You could save yourself much hassle by buying the Guiness Book of British Hit Singles (and Albums), despite the odd inaccuracy and missing tune. :)

Oh, yes. And why are you not yet in the Fantasy Football League?
It's the top 40. I'm copying the list from the retro chart section of everyhit.com. It doesn't have every week (it's split into early, mid and late for each month), but I should get 99.99% of the top 40. I'll only miss one if a song appeared at something like number 40 for one week, then dissapeared.

I don't think I'll bother with the FFL this time. I'm not really into football (apart from the World Cup, and a general interest in how Middlesbrough do). I'm in a Fantasy Formula 1 league, so that's enough for me. I like F1 quite a lot, so I'm much more interested in that, than a football one.

This post was written to the sound of "What's the colour of money", playing on my PC :D

I first heard that song on a long music show that was on TV (possibly Channel 4), and they were showing loads of videos (I remember a "Beat It"/"Eat It" video comparison was on it). The show was brilliant, and Hollywood Beyond were on it. I remember liking the song lots, and a few months later it was in the charts. Does anyone know what the programme was called?

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:56 pm

I believe it was Music Box shown during 1986 every night from midnight until 6am. 1hr for each jockey, involving the then desireable Amanda Reddington and finishing with The Shadow. I tuned-in every saturday night without fail. :D

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Sputryk wrote:Current roster being played:

Journey, Boston, Beach Boys, Sputnik, Ultravox, BOOWY (fab Japanese group), smattering of Power Ballads, Shaky(!), Tiffany, Billy Idol, Voice of the Beehive and The Ramones.

Without resorting to a download I am struggling to find one track I definately want in my collection and can find nowhere - Hollywood Beyond's 'What's The Colour Of Money?'. Any help?
i forgot about shakin' stevens.....have got the collection cd with the dvd. only thing is it hasn't got two of his best songs on it: true love (a cover of bing Crosby's original) and I Might (the cover was littered with Viz characters with shaky characterised as well!). damn good singer, though. want to get his new album. get in!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:01 pm

If you buy the DVD (not the CD with DVD) I believe you get at least the excerlent I Might. I, too, was a bit annoyed that the single was not on the CD. I have the CD-single, though, so it's not a total disaster! :D

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:47 pm

my brother has the vynal single...well....he HAD it :twisted:
as i said, the artwork was ace on it, though. Think I'll have to invest in the dvd if i can find it.

...listening to: Duran Duran - A View To A Kill
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:21 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:i did have the song for the Goonies by Cindi Lauper......but then the missus pc went bang and i lost it. havent been able to find it since......sniff :cry:
the music vid is on the goonies dvd

playing the gta vice city games got me back into 80's music in a big way, fellow journey fan here too, i love don't stop believing it's gotta be my fave journey tune, i was pleasantly surprised to see archer's section contain the journey arcade game

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:32 am

I just have to mention that I'm totally disgusted that I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls didn't make the top 40!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:26 pm

fancy listening to a bit of Level 42 now!

It's Over is.....well....have a listen for yourself

telengard

Post by telengard » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:53 pm

I like just about any 80s music. Even stuff my friends cringe at like Hall and Oates, Huey Lewis, etc.

I'm also in a 1980s New Wave cover band. :)

~telengard
My mame cabinet and 8 bit gaming room:
http://home.comcast.net/~bsturk/

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:50 am

I Could Be Happy watching The Whole Of The Moon on my Lost Weekend with my Sunday Girl, Eloise, by my side. (Feels Like) Heaven. Unbelievable! :D 8)

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:24 pm

(Feels Like) Heaven. Unbelievable!
I love that song!
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:32 pm

Huey lewis and The News: the power Of Love from Back to The Future. one of their best songs. EVER!

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:58 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:Huey lewis and The News: the power Of Love from Back to The Future. one of their best songs. EVER!
IMO, not as good as The Power of Love by FgtH, but better than the J.Rush one.

thl

Post by thl » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:48 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:Huey lewis and The News: the power Of Love from Back to The Future. one of their best songs. EVER!
Glad you mention that track because I thought the movie soundtracks was brilliant back in the 80s.

My favourite are:

Beverly Hills Cop
Footloose
Karate Kid
Lost Boys
Rocky IV
Streets Of Fire
Teen Wolf
Top Gun

Also not forgetting movie singles such as:

Ben E. King - Stand By Me
Peter Cetera - Glory of Love