EIGHTIES MUSIC.

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Anyone else fancy a bit of Kate Bush? Forget Wuthering Heights, the Hounds Of Love album is another must have for its percussion.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:47 pm

not the music, but in the Babushka video... oh yes :wink:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:59 pm

SirClive wrote:not the music, but in the Babushka video... oh yes :wink:
This one?
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:08 pm

Hounds of Love is awesome, great pop songs on side A, and the hauntingly eerie 9th Wave suite on the other... GET OUT OF THE WATER

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:12 pm

kate bush? not 'The Screeching Terror'?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:13 pm

Howard Jones is brilliant, so is Kate Bush. I was listening to Hounds of Love last week.

For the last few nights (after reading this thread), I decided to create a spreadsheet of every song in the charts from Jan 1980 to Dec 1989 (up to Oct '82 so far)! My masterplan is to get every song released, then when I get some sort of MP3 player, put them all on there and wallow in the greatness that is the best decade of music :D

It may take some time though...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:20 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:kate bush? not 'The Screeching Terror'?
As I said - forget the Wuthering Heights era. The Hounds Of Love is far from screechy.
Possibly yhe only CD I've ever bought twice.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:17 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
SirClive wrote:not the music, but in the Babushka video... oh yes :wink:
This one?
Thats the one!!!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:30 pm

i dont know why....but at this precise moment in time...i fancy listening to limahls NeverEnding Story.....i dont know if its the guitar solo or the haunting harp thing that draws me to it...either that or im a sad, nostalgic git :D
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:23 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:i dont know why....but at this precise moment in time...i fancy listening to limahls NeverEnding Story.....i dont know if its the guitar solo or the haunting harp thing that draws me to it...either that or im a sad, nostalgic git :D
I was listening to that about an hour ago!

I've got a massive 80s playlist thing on an almost constant repeat at the moment.

It's funny but when I was younger and going through the cringeworthy BritPop fad I was convinced that the only good thing musically to come out of the 80s were The Smiths and The Stone Roses. Funny how you can realise just how full of crap you really are isn't it?!

Currently listening to Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads with The Warrior by Scandal up next.

Oh yes.
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:11 am

Ritchardo mkII wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:i dont know why....but at this precise moment in time...i fancy listening to limahls NeverEnding Story.....i dont know if its the guitar solo or the haunting harp thing that draws me to it...either that or im a sad, nostalgic git :D
I was listening to that about an hour ago!

I've got a massive 80s playlist thing on an almost constant repeat at the moment.

It's funny but when I was younger and going through the cringeworthy BritPop fad I was convinced that the only good thing musically to come out of the 80s were The Smiths and The Stone Roses. Funny how you can realise just how full of crap you really are isn't it?!

Currently listening to Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads with The Warrior by Scandal up next.

Oh yes.

my playlist consists of: Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Billy Fury (absolutely brilliant!), Elvis (gotta have a bit of Elvis once in a while!....erm....), Meat Loaf, Journey (and why not?), Level 42, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure soundtrack (do you realise how hard this b"st"rd was to find!), Depeche Mode, Duran Duran and various other 80's goodies! i did have the song for the Goonies by Cindi Lauper......but then the missus pc went bang and i lost it. havent been able to find it since......sniff :cry:

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:57 am

necronom wrote:Howard Jones is brilliant, so is Kate Bush. I was listening to Hounds of Love last week.

For the last few nights (after reading this thread), I decided to create a spreadsheet of every song in the charts from Jan 1980 to Dec 1989 (up to Oct '82 so far)! My masterplan is to get every song released, then when I get some sort of MP3 player, put them all on there and wallow in the greatness that is the best decade of music :D

It may take some time though...
Groovy! 8)

Will it consist of just the Top 40 or the official Top 75? Or, for that matter, the extended Top 100?! :D

You could save yourself much hassle by buying the Guiness Book of British Hit Singles (and Albums), despite the odd inaccuracy and missing tune. :)

Oh, yes. And why are you not yet in the Fantasy Football League?

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:10 am

Current roster being played:

Journey, Boston, Beach Boys, Sputnik, Ultravox, BOOWY (fab Japanese group), smattering of Power Ballads, Shaky(!), Tiffany, Billy Idol, Voice of the Beehive and The Ramones.

Without resorting to a download I am struggling to find one track I definately want in my collection and can find nowhere - Hollywood Beyond's 'What's The Colour Of Money?'. Any help?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:03 am

Search for "Hollywood Beyond" on eBay....there are 7" and 12" singles on there right now!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:43 am

djcarlos wrote:Search for "Hollywood Beyond" on eBay....there are 7" and 12" singles on there right now!
You sure that's not a typo!!!!
(check out the little pig man playing keyboard!!)

The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward