EIGHTIES MUSIC.

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:33 am

culture club........blurgh! :roll:

hate them! load of pap!

Escape is a really good album. it has one of the best artworks i've ever seen. so much so, ive got it as a background on the PC and as an icon too! :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:46 am

Being born in the late '70's I grew up with '80's stuff and love

Madness,
Nik Kershaw
OMD
Iron Maiden
Depeche Mode
U2
Soft Cell
Human league

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:04 am

Somebody else mentioned Journey here? Yeh I like them too. I completely forgot about them until I saw a video on Youtube of an 80s arcade done through a computer animation with Stone In Love playing in the background. How about 808 State and Pacific, maybe one of the most memorable house/techno tunes & almost always features in a retro compilation.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:19 am

is it me, or does music from the eighties sound much better than the manufactured crap nowadays (Britney 'Hairloss' Spears and Christina 'Dirrty' Agilara spring to mind......too manufactured and too sh!te!). And why does every singer new singer nowadays HAVE to do r'n'b and rap songs? why not go back to classic rock songs? songs that make you sit up and listen and say 'you know what? that was pretty good!'
its all throwaway rubbish. Here today, gone tomorrow.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:49 am

I quite agree. Music today conforms to the lowest common denominator - cheap, cheap, cheap. It's more about image and bad-attitude lyrics. RnB is not RnB, it's a disaster - compare it to the original sound of RnB! Pop and pure and simple manufactured rubbish using inferior instruments. Oh, and a lack of vocal capability - how many appear 'live' yet 'sing' to backing tracks! :evil:

Of all the new artists that have appeared this decade I can literally count the decent ones on one hand. Stalwarts such as Brian Wilson, Journey, Boston and Stratovarius keep top quality music coming. Newbies would be:

Katie Melua
The Darkness
Jim Noir
Dragonforce (now there's a British (well, multi-culturally British, anyway!) group to get your teeth into! Fast and furious music with style and substance - check the songs Heart Of A Dragon (it thunders along and will leave you quite simply breathless), Starfire and the lovely Above The Winter Moonlight).

Please, don't anyone mention any of the 'cool'/indie rock groups out there. They all sound the same and none of them are competant enough musicians to be lauded as they are. It's all tosh. Proper music gets continually ignored by the music press, other than Brian Wilson's SMiLE project but even then I don't remember NME saying much.

Bring back Classic Rock. Bring back the 80's synthesizer. Bring back the 'good times'. Stop the sickening and cheap marketing ploys.

Oh, and Status Quo's 'Something 'bout You Baby I Like' is currently playing. Yay!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:16 am

I always liked Howard Jones.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:22 am

yethboth wrote:I always liked Howard Jones.
Do you mean the singer from Killswitch Engage??

:D

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:25 am

More than Nik Kershaw?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:40 am

can't beat a bit of eighties Bon Jovi!laods of classic tunes, especially from the albums New Jersey, Keep the Faith and 7800oC Farenheit.
if any album has to be duff, it has to be This Left Feels Right (2006). A rehash of all the classics......done CRAP!
any copies should be hunted down, destroyed and erased from every decent Bon Jovi fan's memory!
i mean, WHO SLOWS DOWN 'YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME'??? :shock:

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:52 am

He did a concert for us at school one afternoon after we raised a load of money for Africa back in the 80's.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:24 pm

felgekarp wrote:
He did a concert for us at school one afternoon after we raised a load of money for Africa back in the 80's.
I can't imagine how he disappeared from the charts with gigs like that ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:34 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:is it me, or does music from the eighties sound much better than the manufactured crap nowadays
I agree.
Although we tend to think of 80's as "pop" it realy is a completely different beast to "pop" as we know it today.
An awful lot of 80's "pop" bands were just that - bands. Playing their own instruments and writing their own songs. Not something you can say about todays artists with their teams of song writers & come-and-go session musicans.
Many have survived and evolved and are recognised as, not "pop" but great bands, Depeche Mode being a stand out example.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
I can't imagine how he disappeared from the charts with gigs like that ;)
It was a high profile gig, it was a very posh school :D I do remember thinking at the time 'howard who?' but we got out of classes for an afternoon.
Splink!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:54 am

i still think even now howard who? have never heard fo his music. :?

korean***

Post by korean*** » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:05 pm

i have just aquired the the's 'soul mining' for 69p on ebay! get in!