EIGHTIES MUSIC.

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

EIGHTIES MUSIC.

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:38 pm

i dont know if its been done (dont know a lot, do i?), but, meh, i'll do it anyway.

Music from the eighties.

only just getting back into it. mainly rock music, like Journey (Only Solutions from Tron is just cool. As is Any Way You Want It), Motley Crue (man, theyre sooooo good. Dr. Feelgood, totally excellent!), Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister, KISS, David Bowie. Other music like Duran Duran (View To A Kill one of my favs) and Huey Lewis and the News are sneaking into my collection.

What music from the eighties do you still go to when playing yer speccy, Amiga, Nes, whatever, to reignite those memories? Or just to listen to for the pure hell of it?

expect me to start wearing large shoulder pads. Coming Soon!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:52 pm

Adam and the Ants is the one that really does it for me, especially the Kings of the Wild Frontier album - the percussion on those is fantastic. Failing that, a bit of Blondie doesn't hurt, mixed with a healthy dose of Depeche Mode and Simple Minds.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:54 pm

I love '80s music. Today, for example I have been listening to Madonna's True Blue album, Michael Jackson's Thriller, and Guns N' Roses' Greatest Hits.

I have never listened to music while playing games (apart from when we used to play Microprose Golf on the Amiga), as listening to two pieces of music at the same time is very, very wrong (and insane). Plus, you can't hear what is going on in the game.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:00 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Adam and the Ants is the one that really does it for me, especially the Kings of the Wild Frontier album - the percussion on those is fantastic. Failing that, a bit of Blondie doesn't hurt, mixed with a healthy dose of Depeche Mode and Simple Minds.
ahh, Depeche Mode........Just Can't Get Enough and Enjoy the Silence..classic.

Adam and The Ants, another classic choice. Stand And Deliver. pure gold. My nephew recently did it in his schools Stars In Their Eyes. He had the full costume and everything. was well pukka :D
Last edited by JetSetWilly on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Alison Moyet's 'Alf' album always reminds me of playing Sabre Wulf!

I used to play Space Rogue on the Amiga with my headphones on listening to David Bowie (well he's only partly 80's I guess).
I also found Flight Simulator II on the Amiga was greatly enhanced by Jean Michel Jarre's Equinoxe album!
And a quick burst of 'Utter Madness' could also spur me on quite well whilst playing Speccy Commando.
Queen's 'The Miracle' album whilst playing Bards Tale II on Amiga.

Too many to mention really!

Interesting question though, will try to think of some more!
'What's a Ftoomch?'

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:32 pm

Band Aid reminds me of playing Ant Attack.
Probably due to them both being on the Soft Aid compilation that came out.

I believe that the 80's produced the most amount of classic songs.
Far more than any other decade............ :shock:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:10 pm

stvd wrote:Band Aid reminds me of playing Ant Attack.
Probably due to them both being on the Soft Aid compilation that came out.

I believe that the 80's produced the most amount of classic songs.
Far more than any other decade............ :shock:

i totally agree. having been born in the very early eighties, ive grown up with all kinds of music. even Elvis Presley and Billy Fury from the 50's on wards. but i personally think that music can, generally, enhance the playing experience and put you in a kind of mood to play a game or reflect the kind of mood your in.
I mean, once i listened to Killer Queen whilst chainsawing someone in Gears Of War, for chuffs sake! (ok, i think that one might be a coincidense! :D ). But, say you listen to Kickstart my Heart and at the same time, your playing....ooo, i dunno....Lotus 2 or Road Rash on the amiga. it does set the adreneline pumping. especially with the guitar doing the motorcycle at the start.

and to be honest, russ, ive no idea where this question came from!! it just 'popped' out!
Last edited by JetSetWilly on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

forestville

Post by forestville » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:31 pm

Depeche Mode
Gary Numan
Iron Maiden
Venom

8) :D
Press play on tape

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:31 pm

I usually listen to a lot of Madness, Jean Michel-Jarre, U2, Enya, Clannad and Seal.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:37 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Adam and the Ants is the one that really does it for me, especially the Kings of the Wild Frontier album - the percussion on those is fantastic. Failing that, a bit of Blondie doesn't hurt, mixed with a healthy dose of Depeche Mode and Simple Minds.
Adam of the Ants definately. KotWF is one of the greatest albums ever.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:34 am

I listen to 80s music on my mp3 player at work nearly every day. My favourites are OMD, A Flock of Seagulls and The Buggles.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

korean***

Post by korean*** » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:03 am

<a href="http://www.discogs.com/release/324139" target=blank>the italo disco collection!</a>

ugh! -what have i started here!

edit:

the italo disco collection! clicky linky

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:26 am

Been to see Depeche Mode twice, ace band, own all the albums and about 92% of the singles (all the old ones).

Also been listening to Kajagoogoo lately (you might only remember the hit 'Too Shy' but I barely listen to that).

Check out:

1. The Power To Forgive
2. Ergonomics
3. Turn Your Back On Me (U.S Version if possible, just for the better opening)
4. White Feathers
5. This Car Is Fast
6. Shouldn't Do That (You will love this).
7. Hang On Now
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:58 am

I loved a lot of the 80's music growing up, went off it a bit then discovered a local studenty dodgy sweat on the walls type of club in Reading - The After Dark. Better than any of this dance/rave rubbish played at normal clubs !

My friends took me there years ago and since then i used to go there tons before i moved. Had my 30th birthday there which was a right laugh.

Its a little dive of a club but because everyones older everyones friendlier, bump into someone and theres no fights, drinks were cheap, lights were down low so you dont feel as much of a prat for dancing and it was just a great laugh after the pubs in Reading.

Tons of 80's music i still love, Adam Ant, some Duran Duran, love 'Crash' by the Primitives, Reward by Teardrop Explodes, Forever Young by Alphaville. Some of Aha's early stuff was classic also, King 'Love and Pride' another gem.

Also like some of the tunes on the Top Gun soundtrack and Beverly Hills Cop especially ! Really takes me back !

But yeah and 80's club is superb, friendly people, a great laugh and music which doesnt sound like a lorry reversing which you get in the usual dance nightclubs.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:16 am

The Clash
Iron Maiden
Operation Ivy
Dead Kennedys
Motorhead
Metallica
Depeche Mode
Queen

Now there's some quality 80s for ya.

Oh yeah, and the original Transformers The Movie soundtrack....."You Got The Touch.....You Got The Power!"