Why is the colour flickering on my PSone?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Papa_Midnight

Why is the colour flickering on my PSone?

Post by Papa_Midnight » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:21 pm

Hey guys,

I'm really hoping this is the right section for this. i recently purchased a PSone but whenever i start to play a new game i get the colour flickering like in this video https://streamable.com/j1nrw I'm using Ridge Racer as it's the most obvious on this game but its doing this with every game.

Full disclosure i am using the scart from a regular PlayStation AND to get it to work on my TV i am using a scart to HDMI converter, could these be the reason it's doing this? Could it also just be a setting on my TV? (i'm kinda hoping it's this, easier, option)

Any help would be much appreciated
"when everything is going right, something is wrong"

Megamixer

Re: Why is the colour flickering on my PSone?

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Have you got access to an older TV to test the console + scart plugged directly into something non-HD? That would immediately rule out the console being at fault. It's more likely going to be an issue with using an old machine on a modern TV. Even with converters, it isn't always straightforward, unfortunately.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:33 am

Yep it will be a combination of the scart to hdmi converter and the tv not liking the signal being output.

Best to pick up an older TV with scart. Or spend real big bucks on a good converter.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:57 am

It IS an RGB Scart cable and not a composite one, isn't it? Not all Scart cables are equal.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.