Temple Of Doom
4%
The Last Crusade
23%

Total votes: 47

TheDude18

Your Fav Indiana Jones Film

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:45 am

Seeing as the new film is not on the way( and without Sean Connery :( )
I just wanted to know which film is the best. A hot debate in my house as mrs dude thinks Temple of Doom is the best and Last Crusade is the worst as I think Raiders is top and Temple of Doom is the worst.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:54 am

Always thought the original was a classic. Second one as a kid i really liked as i was really into it but as i've grown up i've got to really dislike Temple of Doom ! The third one i was never a big fan of , loved the 'old skool' beginning with River Phoenix which was excellent but wasnt keen on the last one at all.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a classic though, and of course that beginning was amazing.

RetroRyan

Post by RetroRyan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:53 am

The original film is superb, but the sequels aren't as good.

I was personally really pleased to hear that Sean Connery won't be in the new one - I hated the whole Indy's dad thing in the Last Crusade.

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:54 am

There's things to love in all 3, but it has to be Raiders for me.

Temple of Doom has a great opening and finale but the screeching woman (yes, I know she was boinking Spielberg) and annoying kid ruin it for me.

Last Crusade is very satisfying all over but feels too polished and a little pleased with itself. Smug, even. A little like the Star Wars prequels...

Raiders captures all you could ask for in an action popcorn movie and feels very bare-knuckle - that fight on the airstrip still makes me wince. Maybe the FX isn't 100% but it has buckets of charm and a cracking script. I've seen it a dozen times and still watch it whenever it comes on TV.

I don't think I can get excited about a 4th instalment... the moment for these films has passed. About the only recent film I can think of that tried to capture the feel of the Indy films (and the serials that inspired them) was Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, which looked fab but was spoilt by dodgy casting and a duff script. Raiders got it all spot on.
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:59 am

jimbobmitch wrote:Temple of Doom has a great opening and finale but the screeching woman (yes, I know she was boinking Spielberg) and annoying kid ruin it for me.
Yep same here for me, two of the major reasons why i'm not keen on that one. Did enjoy all those Indiana Jones games at the time though

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:21 am

1: Raiders
2: Last Crusade
3: Temple of Doom

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:23 am

Raiders Of The Lost Ark was the most exciting of the three.

thl

Post by thl » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 pm

This is quite a tricky one. I might have to say the Temple of Doom.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:48 pm

The problem I have with Temple Of Doom is the Sankara stones don't quite match up to the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail, well that and Kate Capshaw.
Splink!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:52 pm

I'm with Mike Haggar. Raiders and Last Crusade first, then the slightly whiffy Temple a long way behind. Short Round may as well have been named Small Irritation.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:32 pm

psj3809 wrote:Always thought the original was a classic. Second one as a kid i really liked as i was really into it but as i've grown up i've got to really dislike Temple of Doom ! The third one i was never a big fan of , loved the 'old skool' beginning with River Phoenix which was excellent but wasnt keen on the last one at all.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a classic though, and of course that beginning was amazing.
That's exactly how I feel about Temple Of Doom. Loved it as a kid, now it's only ok.

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:48 pm

Temple of Doom gets a bit of a rough ride I think and it's mostly because it is, understandably, compared to Raiders and Crusade.

It's a completely different animal to the others and you can see Lucas and Speilberg's thinking in trying to emulate Empire and making it a little darker.

Raiders is an absolute classic though that stands alone well and as part of a trilogy (much like the original Star Wars) with so many classic scenes and set-pieces.

Arguably Crusade has a stronger storyline though....

I'm still plumping for Raiders
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:01 pm

TOD is great - for the first hour , up until they find the opening to the hidden mine - the opening sequence is the best of the 3 , and is one of the best intros to any film ever (and I love the chilled monkey brain sequence!)

over all I would go for Crusade , as it has the most laughs . There are so many great one-liners "I prefer the Austrian way" and the meeting with Hitker was magnificent (I also like the cameo with Alexi Sayle)

Not sure what the next movie is about , but they could do a LOT worse than follow the script for Fate Of Atlantis - that game was begging for a movie to be made of it , the script writers did an unbelievable job
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:41 am

Quite liked Last Crusade but Raiders is a classic.

Not a fan of Temple of Doom but Kate Capshaw is a babe.!

Voted Raiders.

RIK

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:50 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Not sure what the next movie is about , but they could do a LOT worse than follow the script for Fate Of Atlantis - that game was begging for a movie to be made of it , the script writers did an unbelievable job
Then it would be the best game based movie ever too ;)