Buying CD's

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: Buying CD's

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:57 pm

I was going to see The Hu earlier this year but, a week prior to their Australian tour, COVID hit pandemic level and the whole thing got canceled.

Downloads are pretty much dead these days. It's pretty much been supplanted by streaming for casual listening and the collectors will always want something to put on the shelf.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:41 am

Matt_B wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:57 pm
Downloads are pretty much dead these days. It's pretty much been supplanted by streaming for casual listening and the collectors will always want something to put on the shelf.
I bought the Data Discs Streets of Rage 1,2 and 3 as digital files. It was a cheap and convenient way to get them in audiophile sound quality without adding another 3 records to my already space-stressed vinyl and CD collection. I wish Data Discs would release more of their catalogue in digital format as it would save me a lot of space and money.

Most of these video game scores are available to stream on YT but, if it's music I care about, I want my own set of digital files that I can archive. Some people may think "Well, if that goes, I'll just find something else to listen to" but that doesn't cut it for me and I won't use software to record YT content on principle.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:03 am

Just ordered Sophie Ellis-Bextors latest CD Release Songs from the Kichen Disco
Fantastic singer ,just gets better and better.
(had to spell kichen like that as it comes out as cheap mdf rubbish!!! why????????????
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm

AC/DC new album

Its in a fecking sh**e cardboard sleeve. Why is this a thing?

Bloody great shuff tho.....

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:18 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:02 pm
Its in a fecking sh**e cardboard sleeve.
Like a record sleeve with nice artwork and a tracklist? Or a naff one like a freebie from the front of a newspaper.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:18 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Its in a fecking sh**e cardboard sleeve.
Like a record sleeve with nice artwork and a tracklist? Or a naff one like a freebie from the front of a newspaper.
More like a record sleeve that opens out

Every other one I have by them has a cardboard outa with a plastic disc holder
Even the previous album "Rock or bust" did it.

This is the "Cheaper" CD realise, the other one comes in a light up box, but I cant justify the price,

feels like im gonna scratch the disc every time I pull it out

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:10 pm

Last week I bought the new albums by Collapse Under the Empire and pg.lost - both post-rock bands. I also received Live White Horses by Heather Findlay in the post.

I finally bought Civilized by Stellastarr*. They're a mid-2000s indie band, most famous for their song Jenny. Their third album never made it to the UK or streaming services, so I ordered it from the US. This month I also ordered Portrait by Yann Tiersen, a 2CD Best Of of new recordings, and Don't Believe, Watch Out by Pencey Sloe, a French shoegaze/dream pop band, but neither of those have arrived yet.

And that's the total number of CDs I've bought this year, all in the past month. I'd like to order Moon Shot by The Lees of Memory (I love the cover image), but shipping from the US is expensive.
CosmoDreamy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:25 am
rocky1980 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:22 pm
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT
- another name gone from the high street.

Its been more than a few years since I last bought a CD. Does anyone so under 25 buy them :?:
I do, I'm 18, then again I'm just weird lol. :D

Online streaming usually offers unnecessary remasters which sound unnecessarily loud and "airy" compared to the original mixes (which is likely done to be tailored to a 'modern' audience better somehow), oh and I am building up a steady collection of stuff by Feeder, so...
It's great to see a fellow Feeder fan! They're the band that got me seriously into music. Apart from Two Colours, I have all the albums and singles on CD and all 7" singles. I'm not one to buy the recent RSD stuff, which I consider a rip-off.
oldtimer wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:03 am
Just ordered Sophie Ellis-Bextors latest CD Release Songs from the Kichen Disco
Fantastic singer ,just gets better and better.
(had to spell kichen like that as it comes out as cheap mdf rubbish!!! why????????????
She's great live too - really knows how to work a crowd!
DPrinny wrote:
AC/DC new album

Its in a fecking sh**e cardboard sleeve. Why is this a thing?

Bloody great shuff tho.....
Cost-cutting I guess. It's the reason I haven't bought the new Secret Machines CD. I suppose the advantage is sleeves take up less space, but how are you supposed to find the right album if loads of them are in cardboard sleeves?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:49 pm

TheAlex wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:10 pm
Cost-cutting I guess. It's the reason I haven't bought the new Secret Machines CD. I suppose the advantage is sleeves take up less space, but how are you supposed to find the right album if loads of them are in cardboard sleeves?
It has a spine, but its rubbish, think they where hopping that people was going to get the deluxe box instead, or the vynal, or the cassette.

Id like to get more CDs, but all the good shops have closed for good

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:35 pm

Therion - Lemuria -- Three Ships of Berik [both parts] is the standout track, absolutely superb
Therion - Sirius B

FLAUNT IT - Sigue Sigue Sputnik -- The rerelease as a 4-disc box set, and I got in so early I bagged the scarce badge to go with it! LOVE the group!

Got Zappa's motion picture soundtrack on the horizon. Definitely on 3-CD; but also hankering after the limited 5-LP box, all on smoky vinyl.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:07 am

I got some Clearance CD Sets today from BigW, pretty wierd!!!

They were 2 copies of a 3CD Set of Delta Blues, $5 each.
Plus a 4CD set for $5 of Pop 90s Songs.