Buying CD's

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sega2006

Re: Buying CD's

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:36 pm

I'm the polar oppisite to my age group, I hate downloads and prefer a physical copy as I'm always of the mind set of what happens if its lost by accident and the service has gone tits up.
I'll use youtube sometimes like a jukebox when I'm at home but I'm usually driving when out and the M3 has an unfinished nav conversion in it so can't attach anything.
Watching you sleep since 1990

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:41 am

Mentioned it before but all this 'what happens if the service goes tits up' i wouldnt worry about. Far more important things to worry about than that, Apple/Spotify arent going anywhere

Just got a new car and i thought there wasnt a CD player (as its all bluetooth). Found it tucked away deep in the glove compartment !

I just think back to my dad with the 'why do you need 1000 channels' when Sky arrived but was soon converted. Granddads avoiding tapes as records sounded better etc. I dont want to sound like that !

Happy to go with the latest tech ! (He says on a retro gaming forum !)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:49 pm

I use new tech as well but I like to have a bit of both.

Had 1000+ tracks on my mp3 player for example and it randomly corrupted at the end of last year. If I'd have been a dummy and not had all that backed up then that would have been it. It was a real mix of stuff ripped from CD's or downloaded from various providers so it's not as if I could have just re-downloaded everything again.

Love CD's and having an actual product but I only buy them for my absolute favourite artists now. It is however, just a fact that ripped CD's in WMA format sound way better than the mp3 format. The downside is that WMA isn't compatible with a lot of non-Windows phones so I don't really get the advantage anymore now that I use my phone for all of my music.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:40 pm

WMA was good for about 20 years ago, but you should try FLAC nowadays. It's completely lossless, i.e. the compressed audio file can be used to re-create every last bit of the original. Files end up somewhat bigger, but you know you're getting the best quality, and you've generally got that much more storage to play with these days anyway.

There are players for nearly ever Android phone out there too. Apple, of course, have to be different and their phone support ALAC which is basically the same thing but using their own technology.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:29 am

I found a load, well maybe not a 'load', but quite a few music CD's in a drawer under my bed a few months ago. Not sure what I'm gonna do with them, heck, I don't even own a CD-player anymore!

It's still kind of sad to see the format die off though, and I think it will eventually. And of course the end is coming for HMV. I remember there being so many different music shops being around back in the 80's, 90's and early 00's, all gone now. I used to visit 'Our Price' quite often back in the day.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:34 am

Yeah i remember the days of cassette singles and then obviously CD singles. Did love those shops back then but always found the prices to be sky high, started buying all my music from Amazon. Remember getting an Oasis album back in 1997 from Sam Goody (Be Here Now) and as i was at the front of the queue i got a free t shirt !

Then back in 2000 I remember using Napster and being amazed by it. After that i've mostly been digital apart from my favourite bands

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:35 pm

Lol would love to get the Depeche Mode 12" singles on CD in their boxsets, but those things go for stupid prices. That's where downloads from iTunes really are good, you can get the extended versions you used to have on vinyl without breaking the bank