Buying CD's

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

rocky1980

Buying CD's

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:05 pm

So I was in an HMV today, and I saw people buying CD's. For some reason I found it very strange ! HMV feels like a time wrap to the late 90's / early 2000's. I cant think the last time I bought a CD, they have been on sale in the UK for 35 years now, its crazy to think. My car does not even have a Cd player, it came with a DAB / link to mp'3 player
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

mr jenzie

Re: Buying CD's

Post by mr jenzie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:47 pm

last one i got was the last of the four albums by A

on the 4th december 2012
out of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT in glasgow

kinda wanted to get royal blood's HOW DID WE GET SO DARK and foo fighters CONCRETE AND GOLD for my sister's ex, but got my nephew and 5 disc eighties compilation ..... he'll be too busy with that fortnite baloney to listen to it :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:50 pm

I don't think I've bought a CD for over 10 years!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:22 pm

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT
- another name gone from the high street.

Its been more than a few years since I last bought a CD. Does anyone so under 25 buy them :?:
Rocky

Image Image

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 pm

There is still a niche group of people who want a physical collection but don't want to spend £20 on a record that will degrade every time they listen to it. A CD is also desirable to digital freedom fighters who want control over the music they listen to instead of leaving that control in the hands of a company that could remove the music at any time.

This is a good vlog on the subject from a CD enthusiast who believes the format will be as dead as VHS in five years from now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vitQ-k1Q470&t=1s

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:28 pm

This is a good vlog on the subject from a CD enthusiast who believes the format will be as dead as VHS in five years from now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vitQ-k1Q470&t=1s
Thanks I will give at a watch. I can see the end coming for them also
Rocky

Image Image

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 pm

When I buy music which isn't very often, I definitely buy CDs (not CD's though ;-) ). I rip at higher audio quality than you get from downloads too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 pm
When I buy music which isn't very often, I definitely buy CDs (not CD's though ;-) ). I rip at higher audio quality than you get from downloads too.
Same. I rip them as .wma with Media Player, the only issue being that my Android phone doesn't support the file and auto-converts it to something else upon copy-pasting music over. Used to dump them on my dedicated MP3 player which DID support WMA but has now sadly got corrupted and no longer works.

I only buy CD's now for my very favourite artists and I only keep CD's where I listen to more or less the entire album. Got rid of the stuff that I listen to around half of + most of my compilations etc. Have it all on ripped to my PC anyway. Still have around 2 stacks of CD's though and those aren't going anywhere. It's the space they take up (like DVD's) that forced me into doing more digital music, not the trend for non-physical media.

Another interesting factoid is that most of the time, it's cheaper to buy a physical CD from Amazon and have it shipped to your door than it is to download the digital-only version!!! What madness is that?!?

I do like the Amazon listings where you can purchase a proper CD and also download the album while you wait for the disc to turn up in the post.

Might sound old and "out-of-date" but physical media was just so much better. I much prefer buying a CD and flicking through the booklets that double up as covers etc. Also miss the days of swapping copied CD's with mates and finding out about new bands/artists that you may never have been exposed to otherwise. It was just so much more exciting. This one's more of a digital memory but along with trading copied albums, there was downloading music to phones (back when the memory cards could barely hold more than a few songs) and exchanging them with mates via bluetooth!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Most charity shops sell cds for 50p now so I often have a browse and pick up the odd gem. Think last one I bought was guardians of the galaxy 2 soundtrack last year
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:50 pm

I took a load of CDs and DVDs to a local charity shop today , but I do still buy the odd CD but def still buy DVDs
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:53 am

Things have improved a lot on the digital music front now that you can get most music as lossless flac files without any DRM attached, and stream them pretty much anywhere.

Still, it's not like there are any serious downsides to CDs since, once you've ripped them, you can do the same. And yes, unless you're looking for rare ones that are out of print, they're usually cheaper too.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:44 pm

I can't make the move away from CD just yet, let alone owning my music.

Some people are fine just paying for Spotify, but every so often I'll want to put on a specific album while writing and suddenly remember that it's not on there. Granted, this has a lot to do with my taste for obscurities - I wouldn't expect it to have that CD-R exclusive release from that cool band I liked in Metal Hammer 12 years ago that never really got anywhere. But with bands like Pitchshifter, where they were popular enough to be signed to MCA and Sanctuary and the music isn't ancient, that stuff does get me.

I have liked buying through Bandcamp, as I've had the digital files while I wait for the CD to show up. I think Amazon does something similar, too.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 am

I still buy CD's from my favourite band but i also buy digital copies as well.

Rip lots of my old CD's and still make a compilation CD in the car. Second i get a car with an mp3 lead for my phone i'll probably abandon CD's altogether. Same for DVD's, do most things digitally now

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:44 pm
I think Amazon does something similar, too.
Yeah it's quite cool because you can get at your music immediately while also eventually getting a proper CD. As I said above, it's sometimes (bizarrely!) possible to get this combo cheaper on Amazon than buying the download version on its own.
psj3809 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:00 am
Rip lots of my old CD's and still make a compilation CD in the car. Second i get a car with an mp3 lead for my phone i'll probably abandon CD's altogether. Same for DVD's, do most things digitally now
I have a USB stick plugged into my car with all of my music on there. I also have a CD player but the USB is just so much more convenient. Only issue is with compilations or albums where the tracks are mixed/blended together as they sometimes won't play in the correct order. I've altered the file information multiple times on the PC to try and fix it but it doesn't work so I tend to use the real CD's in those cases.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 am

I used to buy tons of CD's when growing up, both albums and singles, and still own the majority of them but these days I barely buy a CD a year. I still pick up the latest ones from by favourite bands like Metallica and Deftones but even with some of my favourite bands I wait to get them on the cheap.

Due to time restrictions I cannot remember the last time I listened to a CD from beginning to end and especially with putting music on a USB and Youtube where it's single songs rather than albums which limits listening from start to finish.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!