Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post by dste » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:23 pm

20th anniversary today of what is possibly my all time favourite show.

Any other fans?
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

necronom

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Post by necronom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Yep, it's possibly my favourite show, too :-)

I've just been reading web pages about it, doing a quiz, and reading SMG's message to fans. It's also the cover story in SFX magazine this month, which I get.

It's one of the few series' that I've bought on disc (Angel being another).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Always a fan from the first episode and original movie. I was more drawn towards willow than buffy though, she was the more interesting character-and better actress.
Season 2 or 3 finales were epic, although the total finale episodes were rushed and quite underwhelming...gutted about Anya though.
Loved the Hush episode with probably the scariest enemy in probably the weakest season although willow going nuclear is a close second.

I didnt really get into Angel and watched maybe the forst 2 seasons then havent gone back, i recall something about angel having a son then i bailed.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:12 pm

I own the boxsets for both Buffy and Angel, think that they are both fab.

I stuck the first season of Buffy on and ended up watching the first three episodes. Episode four is Teacher's Pet with the praying mantis. I always forget how much slimmer, paler and more talkative Angel is in the first season.

Angel season three was where he had a son, Connor. Could have been an interesting storyline but as ruined for me by having Connor being such a whiny brat. It did introduce Holtz though who was good.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:27 am

Yeah i must have seen a few extra episodes as iirc he was a bit edward furlong looking. Buffy had a knack of inserting a killer ending or arc during a pretty lame episode..like the episode before the body which was 99%dire until buffy comes home. I find when regular characters move on or only appear rarely -like when Giles goes for a lot of the final 2 seasons.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:24 pm

dste wrote: Angel season three was where he had a son, Connor. Could have been an interesting storyline but as ruined for me by having Connor being such a whiny brat. It did introduce Holtz though who was good.
Connor was awful but did at least get good at the end. Buffy's sister was the worst character from anything ever.

I got onto Buffy quite late. My missus was watching it and I walked in on an episode of Angel season 4. The Jasmine storyline. I thought the concept was amazing. So from there I went back and did both shows from the start and then watched the last few series as they aired.

It was good overall. Got a bit annoyed with moody post-dead mum Buffy. And season 5 of Angel was rubbish because Spike was entirely wasted on that series.

But yeah overall it was good.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:Buffy had a knack of inserting a killer ending or arc during a pretty lame episode..like the episode before the body which was 99%dire until buffy comes home.
Yeah, the episode before The Body was I Was Made to Love You which was pretty much a throw away episode but had that ending.

Bluce_Ree wrote:Connor was awful but did at least get good at the end. Buffy's sister was the worst character from anything ever.

I got onto Buffy quite late. My missus was watching it and I walked in on an episode of Angel season 4. The Jasmine storyline. I thought the concept was amazing. So from there I went back and did both shows from the start and then watched the last few series as they aired.
I don't know about Dawn, she did start off pretty annoying but I think after Once More With Feeling she started to get better and the scene In Potential with her and Xander where they thought she might be a Slayer but then wasn't was really good.

Angel season four was really good especially the way they had each episode follow the last one. Plus the return of Faith... :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Yep at the start Dawn was a whiny brat but the scene where buffy goes to her class to tell her about "the body" gave and still does give me goosebumps. Season5 was probably one of my faves where willow almost lost Tara and became pretty powerful.

I was never keen on the episodes where they visited Angels past in olden days, and i seem to reacall the finale of season 4 seemed tagged on after they got shot of Adam some random slayer stalked her dreams saying death is your gift, totally bizarre until the end of season 5.

Worst actresses would probably be Glory or Kendra and sarah michelle gellar who at times pretty bad especially those staring bits where her eyes go wide while she stands still for some reason or other. Plus those army guys from season4.

I liked Drusilla but then to give spike a kind of comedy partner they reintroduced that awful blonde sidekick of cordelias , Harmony.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Sort of got into it much later on - around season 2, when it was showing on the BBC(remember they showed two version - one on a Wednesday and an uncut one late on Friday night). I avoided it at first - mainly because of the panning that the film got. It does improve as it goes along. Highlights are : Buffy and Angel's relationship, and Angel going bad, then later on with the mystery over Dawn's identity, Faith, Willow going psycho, etc.

I liked Angel as well - shame that got mucked around in schedules on Channel 4. I did manage to catch the first two seasons, then had to wait awhile and caught it on Sky One(season 3) and then the rest on SyFy. Yeah, it's a much more grown-up version of Buffy and more violent. I did like it. Cordelia's storyline was good(seeing her going from being Miss Popular at school and then finding the real world very tough and then later on what happened to her). All the dealings with the evil company as well were intriguing. Wesley was a good character as was Lorne. I thought the "puppet episode" was quite novel. A shame they had to rush the ending - I hear that it was continued in comic book form(SPOILERS -Wesley comes back as a ghost in that).

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 am

20 years wow, that has gone past fast. I used to love the '18+' episodes of Angel on C4
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Buffy is currently showing on the SyFy channel at the moment(if you have access to that). It's on season one at the moment.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 pm

I abhor the sufy showings , the episodes are cut to shreds almost causing the show to make no sense. I recently caught the end of the final buffy episode and there was no showing of the outcome to some people who died and when spike tried to hold back the Evil while wearing the brooch thing was cut so badly it really did spoil the episode. to repeat myself that it made no sense was an understatement. i think most episodes are on youtube uncut.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:13 am

Zavvi are currently selling the complete seven season boxset for just £29.99

I thought I would watch the opening two-parter of season one to celebrate the anniversary and ended up watching all twelve episodes. A couple of episodes that I thought were bad first time round (Teacher's Pet and The Pack) were actually slightly better than I remember, though the Praying Mantis from Teacher's Pet is still absolutely terrible.

I also went and bought the Once More With Feeling and Radio Sunnydale CD's. I did own them years ago but loaned them out to never get them back. OMWF is still fantastic but I was slightly disappointed with Radio Sunnydale as had a lot more ballads on then I remember. Still some really good songs on there but think I prefer the first soundtrack CD.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm

I hate when shows do the Once More With Feeling thing. Really didn't like that episode, it was way too far off base, a low point for the series. I know it isn't a serious show, but it was ridiculous.

But that's musicals in general. Don't see the appeal and can't understand why Americans shoehorn that stuff into shows that don't need it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Get out of this thread you heathen. :P

OMWF was great. Good songs and they were not meaningless as every song pushed forward the plots of the season. I think with any musical episodes it depends on how good the songs are and the purpose of the episode. Scrubs had a musical episode which was explained as being in the head of a patient who had a tumour and was seeing everyone sing. The songs were not particularly memorable but it was a decent episode.

Saying that, I gather from posts in the TV/Film thread that you are not really a fan of musicals like that though. :)
Game Over Yeah - My Blog