Horror films

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:18 pm

I watched the classic Boris Karloff movies, Frankenstein (1931) and its sequel Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) last week, inspired by a girl at work's bad hairdo.

Great movies, haven't seen them in years so thoroughly enjoyed them. Found it quite amusing in Bride when they teach the creature to drink and smoke and tell him these are good things :lol:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:34 pm

I like how the last few Hellraiser films (5,6,7) get more and more LSD...

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:39 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I watched the classic Boris Karloff movies, Frankenstein (1931) and its sequel Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) last week, inspired by a girl at work's bad hairdo.

Great movies, haven't seen them in years so thoroughly enjoyed them. Found it quite amusing in Bride when they teach the creature to drink and smoke and tell him these are good things :lol:
I really want to see those as I watched The Ghoul recently and loved it, of late Ive been watching quite a few black and white horrors including funnyley enough, Nosferatu from 1922, which is silent aswell. Not too bad for a quid I supose

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:25 pm

RetroRik wrote:Even though it is tongue in cheek i still like Evil Dead I and II

Regards

RIK
evil dead one scared the f*** out of me :oops: :oops:

witchboard freaked me out as did the 1st freddy

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:11 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I watched the classic Boris Karloff movies, Frankenstein (1931) and its sequel Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) last week, inspired by a girl at work's bad hairdo.

I really want to see those as I watched The Ghoul recently and loved it, of late Ive been watching quite a few black and white horrors including funnyley enough, Nosferatu from 1922, which is silent aswell. Not too bad for a quid I supose
<cough>torrents<cough> Surprised you enjoy those so much. In my pre-video childhood through the 70's, these old b&w movies and random Hammer Horrors would be shown on a Saturday night. My big brother would babysit while my folks went to the pub down the road for a couple of hours and I'd get to stay up late for them. Early exposure gave me a sentimental fondness for them, I thought easy access to anything you want would have dulled their impact for you, but I'm glad you're still able to enjoy them. Frankenstein does tend to make me feel sad though, especially Bride of. Poor bloke just wants what the rest of us have. Ok, so he's a bit carefree with the throttling to death, but what's a man to do? ;)
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:17 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Early exposure gave me a sentimental fondness for them, I thought easy access to anything you want would have dulled their impact for you, but I'm glad you're still able to enjoy them.
Yet another example of what can be done without multi-million dollar special effects.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:41 am

I'm surprised that nobody hasn't mentioned The Ring (Japanese horror film).

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:43 am

jabbawokkie2 wrote:
RetroRik wrote:Even though it is tongue in cheek i still like Evil Dead I and II

Regards

RIK
evil dead one scared the f*** out of me :oops: :oops:

witchboard freaked me out as did the 1st freddy
Evil Dead III ( Army of Darkness ) was on sky the other day...
That's even more tongue in cheek but good to watch all the same..

RIK

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:21 am

thl wrote:I'm surprised that nobody hasn't mentioned The Ring (Japanese horror film).
Seen both the Japanese and American versions, saw the Japanese one first and it's one of the first films in a long time to scare the beejezus out of me, I thought the American version was a bit tame but I'm not sure if it's because I watched the Japanese one first.
Splink!

Rosetinted Gamer

Post by Rosetinted Gamer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:29 pm

Near Dark is a great 80's vampire movie that stars half the cast of Aliens.

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:09 am

There were bits cut in the first Frankenstein movie that have been shown on occasions since, but not always. When Frankenstein realises that the creature is alive and that he's succeeded, he goes crazy shouting "It's alive! It's alive!!" Then the cut happens when he says "Now I know what it feels like to be God!!!" I had that on VHS a few years back, and the cut was still there. Also the classic bit with the little girl and the flower when she's throwing the petals into the water. They cut out the bit where the creature throws her in. I wonder if the version you had includes those bits?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:04 am

Spector wrote:

There were bits cut in the first Frankenstein movie that have been shown on occasions since, but not always. When Frankenstein realises that the creature is alive and that he's succeeded, he goes crazy shouting "It's alive! It's alive!!" Then the cut happens when he says "Now I know what it feels like to be God!!!" I had that on VHS a few years back, and the cut was still there. Also the classic bit with the little girl and the flower when she's throwing the petals into the water. They cut out the bit where the creature throws her in. I wonder if the version you had includes those bits?
Yes, both those scenes were in the cut I watched. While I can understand the cut on Frankenstein in the 'Its alive' scene as its not essential, removing the creature with the girl seems an odd choice. Without it, the movie loses some of its empathy for the creature.

lee gray

Post by lee gray » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Love those movies, I think Glen Strange is a great frankensteins monster too

watched the original wolfman the other day

I love all those clasic universal horrors plus hammer horror and the serial killer horrors too, infact i love most horror :)

Looking forward to the halloween remake

TheStitch

Post by TheStitch » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Well, im looking forward the halloween remake too, but honestly, i dont think we need one.
Retro Cigarette Smoker

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:01 am

For horror, nothing quite compares to The Exorcist. Watched it as a kid before it got banned and loved it. Still the greatest. The 'Making of...' is interesting, too, getting actors to do things they really didn't want to do.

Love the Japanese scene. Ringu, Ringu 2 and Ringu 0 (Birthday) are all great, as is Ju-On (yet to see Ju-On 2). I NEVER want to see the Hollywood re-makes as I understand that they are nowhere near as good and the stories have been altered to a degree. Premonition, though not all that scary, is a little unsettling.

'Audition' is also worth everyones viewing. Not exactly horror, more....disturbing. Quality throughout, though.