GameCube Action Replay

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Superchunk72

GameCube Action Replay

Post by Superchunk72 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:17 am

Hi, i used to have an action replay for my GameCube about ten years ago and it seems prices have skyrocketed since.Wondered if the newer versions that work on wii as well are as good? Can you still add your own codes?
Thanks for any info

English Invader

Re: GameCube Action Replay

Post by English Invader » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50 pm

You can still get them NOS on Amazon for £18. I got mine back in 2011 for about the same price and I don't think it's too bad a deal for all the functionality you get. I mainly use it as a freeloader for imports rather than cheats, though.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:22 am

How come they have become so expensive?

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:58 pm

RichL wrote:How come they have become so expensive?
Like most retro games, collectors have pushed prices up...

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:23 am

Just as a heads-up, it was only the first revision of the Gamecube Action Replay that had the ability to add your own codes - I've not seen a version online in years that retains this feature.

As for the skyrocketing prices? I know the ones where you could enter your own codes are very hard to come by, so basic supply & demand there. As for the rest? I'm guessing chancers have been seeing the prices of the earlier AR discs and been trying to sell theirs off at the same price.

I would like to add in here that if you have a copy of Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2, you should be able to run the Gamecube Action Replay Simulator - also known as GCARS. This'll let you do all the codes you'll ever want.
Where logic won't work, I will

RichL

Post by RichL » Mon May 02, 2016 8:15 am

Gutted about this, I used to have the Action Replay for the GC and off the back of this thread thought I would dig it out and play some Metroid Prime with infinite health, I can find my disc, but not my cartridge.

Now the hunt begins!!

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Mon May 02, 2016 5:21 pm

Anotherway round it is to just softmod a Wii, there's action replay style programmes on it that you can use such as Ocarina, that's what I use when I need to cheat :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu May 12, 2016 11:41 am

I have a Mastersystem Datel Pro Action replay cartridge boxed with instructions and they go for really stupid money!! bet £100/£200 in some cases!
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun May 15, 2016 7:49 am

It is crazy what these carts go for.

Along the same lines I have one of those carts that let you play import mega cd games but it's useless to me at the moment due to me having a mega cd 2 and it will only work on the first unit. They can go for silly money.

Tried selling on ebay and they kept taking it down saying it's breaking rules when so much other rubbish gets away with it :lol:

Back on topic. Those gamecube action replays are going for crazy money in America compared to here.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Like someone said, its only certain models that people go for. I sold one and started it on ebay at 99p a while ago thinking I may get a few quid. was shocked when someone in the Us won it for £130.

Apparently its the one where you can add codes and unlock the Fzero AX codes ETC.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:31 pm

That's the version I own, and yes I used it to unlock the F-Zero stuff too heh. I'll have to seriously consider whether to keep it or not :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...