Who made better Monster Munch?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which company made better Monster Munch?

Walker's
8%
Smith's
92%

Total votes: 48

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:38 am

No doubt Walkers will take up any popular Golden Wonder brands, as they did with Smiths. Walkers are the EA of the potato and maize snack world!

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:38 pm

From BBC Article wrote:Kroll said it hoped the firm could be rescued but warned that the own-label operation in Corby would close.
Hmmm... Something about owning a factory in Corby? Commodore had an assembly plant there and looked what happened to them... :shock:

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:52 am

No More Wheat Crunchies!!!!!?????? nnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

3DMonsterMaze

Post by 3DMonsterMaze » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:29 pm

Smiths, by a wide margin.

Beef Monster Munch will be freely available in any heaven worth going to.
1980's retro gaming nostalgia t-shirts, hats and mugs at
www.cafepress.com/tshirtypoo

emalder

Re:

Post by emalder » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:54 am

Markie wrote:
Wil wrote:Another vote for Smiths.

I also had a soft spot for cheese & onion Ringos. Smelt like old feet but were yummy. Are these still around?
You won't believe this but yes!! I had a packet the other night from a 'Tesco's Express', as it was the only place open. I was on my way home after a very late night working on RG19!

And they still smell vile, taste lovely and have the texture of soggy cardboard! Yum![/i]
Sorry, I'll have to disagree, modern Ringo's are foul, they're made from maize these days, the originals were made from real potato

achromic

Post by achromic » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:47 pm

Definatly Smiths!

I work in an industry where we are 'supposed' to sell them. And to be honest, I don't think that at the moment we could give the blooming things away! The spicy flavour (the only one available to us) looks like plaster, tastes like a used plaster, and the pack is about as inviting as a nose bleed!
Achromic -

If it's not in stock, you really don't want it!

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:05 am

Yet another vote for Smiths. They were twice the size of the Walkers ones and had more flavour to them. Plus you could pretend to have monsters teeth due to the sheer size of them. :D

On another note, Even though they are yummy, don't Scampi and lemon nik naks make your fingers smell rather fishy........Hmmm :o
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:15 pm

Smiths were the best. Its like saying who as the best arse J Lo or Posh Spice no contest.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:36 am

As the macc lads once said, nice arse shame about the boat race..!

M.A.G

Re:

Post by M.A.G » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:55 am

Opa-Opa wrote:As the macc lads once said, nice arse shame about the boat race..!
Macc Lads now theres a top band.

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Both wrong! The best maker of the Monster Munch is Tayto! That was when Mighty Munch was called that of course.

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:43 pm

And here's me thinking that Tayto were bootlegged versions of Taito games. :?
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

big1aust

Post by big1aust » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:21 pm

Smiths Pickled Onion Monster Munch were just superb - they were almost thermo-nuclear in very much the same way as Spar salt and Vinegar crisps were. Used to make your gums itch for ages afterwards very much like lancashire cheese.

Out of interest , does everyone know that they still make Space Raiders in Pickled Onion and in Beef flavours - available from my local pie shop!! And of even more bizarre interest is that they're only half a point on the weighwatchers diet - so if you're over 17 stone you can actually live on 60 packets of Space raiders a day.

Cheers
big1aust

Joe_Blade

Post by Joe_Blade » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:02 pm

Some good memories posted in this thread. I used to love Beef MM, It was the nicest looking packet too with the coolest monster. I used to like the red ones as second choice but I'd always go for the Beef especially when we used to go 'on the rob" after school lol. There was a certain euphoria about stealing en mass from a shop, too many kids you can't nab them all.

I've since paid for my sins lol.

Anybody remember Piglets? They were the greatest - i used to try and stuff as many in my mouth as could fit and then the delightful 'crunch'. Also I remeber Tubes as somebody posted - used to love them.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:25 pm

I used to love Tudor XL Gammon flavour crisps as a kid - I could easily get through twelve bags in one sitting! :)