Amiga 600 says "DF0:????" when I put a disk in

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

soopytwist

Amiga 600 says "DF0:????" when I put a disk in

Post by soopytwist » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:41 pm

So, I got an A600 off eBay. It is my intention to swap out the floppy drive for a Gotek Floppy Emulator that uses SD cards. I just powered up the A600 to see if it works. It boots Workbench from the HDD but any floppy disks I put in all say DF0:???? and won't open them or boot from them from the boot menu (hold both mouse buttons down).

I still have an external floppy drive from my old A500+ so I tried booting from this instead - it works but the games I've tried all crash, presumably because they don't like booting from DF1? I don't think I ever tried to boot a game from DF1 when I used my A500+ so I'm just guessing that Chuck Rock 2 for example doesn't boot from DF1.

A quick Google would suggest the floppy drive heads need a clean, it knows there's a disk in it but can't open it or recognise what's on it.

Since I'm going to take the FDD out anyway I don't suppose it matters if the drive is borked or not. I just wondered if anyone here has had experience of this happening with an old 500, 600 or 1200.

knight_beat

Re: Amiga 600 says "DF0:????" when I put a disk in

Post by knight_beat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:20 am

Have you tried to format a blank disk? The "DF0:????" error often appears if Workbench can't find a recognised Amiga file system on the disk.

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:54 pm

Most games.. and I mean a huge amount ( apart from the early ones ) won`t boot from workbench.
So you will get that in the GUI... that error or NDOS errors..
Only if workbench can reconise the disk will it show content..

You need to put the disk in then reset... because it will boot from DF0: before the HDD..

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:48 pm

It was booting from the HDD instead of DF0 despite having a bootable disk in. When I complained to the seller on eBay he asked for photo's so I set the Amiga up and tried again and this time it worked - booting straight away from floppy (without having to hold the mouse buttons for the boot menu). I had to apologies, although the case was broken so the top and bottom halves pull away easily. The seller offered to refund but since I'm refurbishing and modding it I think I can fix it up.

I'm pretty sure it was just mucky read heads on the FDD. It seems to work fine now although I've noticed if I don't leave the Amiga powered off for long enough between games I get a Guru Mediation frequently - not sure if that's a fault with the HDD or the ROM.