How to clean an Amiga?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

soopytwist

How to clean an Amiga?

Post by soopytwist » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm looking at picking up an A600 on eBay. They're really expensive though so I can only assume that's down to the internal IDE for custom HDD's and the general portability of them over the monstrosity that is the 500 and 500+ (with it's silly RF modulator!).

I still have my ageing 500+ though the clock battery leaked a long time ago it still works apart from the 500k RAM board - the battery leaked on that too and now it's busted so I only have 1Mb RAM now.

I've been looking at the Gotek floppy emulators too so I intend to replace the floppy drive in the 600 with one of those so I can run all my games as ADF from USB or SD card.
I also intend to finish converting some D-Paint IV .iff images to ADF that I never got the chance to when I used to have a PC running XP and a Catweasel FDD controller.

I still have the Catweasel but no computer that can install and use it (the Mk4 and Mk4 Plus don't work with Windows 7 64bit)... and I don't have a PC with a floppy drive any more!

The one thing that's making me hesitate dropping 90 quid on a 600 is the staining of the keys and case of the one I've looked at. The almost white of the plastic has turned a nasty shade of yellow/beige - just like my 500+ in the loft, just like they all do I suppose.

Is there a way to clean the plastic to restore it to it's former glory? What do I need to clean it? What's safe to use to clean, more importantly, that won't harm the plastic?
Last edited by soopytwist on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hiro

Re: How to clean an Amiga?

Post by Hiro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:22 pm

I've successfully whitened some very-yellow-almost-brown plastic, if you look for "retrobrite" you will find all you need!
Personally I use hydrogen peroxyde at 40 volumes, a cream I find in perfume shops (made for hair colouring), being a cream is very useful.

My "recipe" is: a small basin with water and a bit of active oxygen based detergent, where I pour the hydrogen peroxyde cream to obtain a compound I spread on the plastic with cotton.
I let it dry under direct sunlight, and then redo the process every about 20-30 minutes. After one "treatment" you can already see the difference, but you can repeat for several days if needed.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:27 pm

This 1084SD was literally the same colour as the paper, before the treatment :!:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Peroxide? LOL, takes all sorts I guess. I'll give that a go! Thanks.

male retrogamer

Post by male retrogamer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Nice! You have an amiga console... very great because amiga emulator is too complicated to handle.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Toothpaste and zitpaste, yellowing unfortunately is down to oxidisation so this sort of thing is abrasive enough to remove the oxidised layer with out harming the finish too much just take care near any printed logos.

Rule of thumb is if it cannot harm you its not likely to harm the plastic :D
Watching you sleep since 1990

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:36 pm

40 degree wash with non-fast powder. Delicate spin. :wink:

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:39 pm

Wipes, air duster and IPA alcohol (not the Greene King version) work wonders...

trunky

Post by trunky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:11 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:Wipes, air duster and IPA alcohol (not the Greene King version) work wonders...
Don't ever get these two mixed up. Ever. Mind you, they were very nice in the hospital. No one laughed. Much.

Having just retrieved my 1200 and 1085s from the loft I would recommend the above.