Hardware Film

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Doddsy

Hardware Film

Post by Doddsy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:22 am

I picked this film up the other day on blu ray haven't not seen it for about 25 years. I found that the beginning was very much like Fallout New Vegas what with the decaying sci-fi tech, clothes and landscape as well as Iggy Pop doing a radio broadcast. (I wonder if that inspired the direction of the Fallout series?)

The first half I found interesting but when the clunky robot starts going on the rampage it loses it a bit when you compare it to The Terminator. I found the creepy pervy guy more sinister, something relevant today perhaps with our tech?
I still found the visuals and music still cool and relevant (prob more so) today and that PIL song lends it'self well to the movie. (Though it has been done before in a MIAMI VICE ep to great effect.)
To summarize it was compared and overshadowed by Terminator though in some areas for 1990 it was ahead of it's time in terms of ideas.

jdanddiet

Re: Hardware Film

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:25 pm

Brilliant film, a real underground grungy classic. Shame what happened to Richard stanley...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:46 pm

I seem to recall this and Dust Devil being quite poor to be honest, Dust Devil was definitely the worser of the two.
Splink!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:25 am

Hardware looked good from the cover but has to be the most boring film I've ever had the misfortune to watch I wasted 30 minutes of my life that I won't get back.. Loads of pointless sex scenes that added nothing to the film and the robot was just a head that was hardly on there.. Another misleading film with a cover that's better than the actual film

Dust Devil was ok next to Hardware it seemed a masterpiece
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am

Yes I agree the sex scenes were pointless - we know they are in love. The Terminator's sex scene was there to link the conception of John Connor.
It is based on a 2000AD story so it's begging for a remake....

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:17 pm

I really like this film and came across it initially being shown in a local Goth club in the 90s due to the Ministry track Stigmata :)
I'd also recommend checking out the Director's later film Dust Devil :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Doddsy wrote:Yes I agree the sex scenes were pointless - we know they are in love. The Terminator's sex scene was there to link the conception of John Connor.
It is based on a 2000AD story so it's begging for a remake....
I'm glad somebody else agreed with me :D at least with Terminator there was a point to it and wasn't as soon as the film started like Hardware
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Just watched the trailer on youtube. God its aged !

Remember watching this yearssss back, think it was one of those films i so wanted it to be good, another Mad Max style film but it was pretty poor.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:34 pm

I remember it was really really hyped at the time - despite being a small film - and when I got to see it eventually I just thought it was sort of OK. I'm not sold on the idea of Richard Stanley being some kind of misunderstood genius
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:37 am

Yup saw this on video after one of my mates was raving about it... really didn't get it at all. That was about 25 years ago, maybe I should give it a reappraisal.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:45 pm

the_hawk wrote:Yup saw this on video after one of my mates was raving about it... really didn't get it at all. That was about 25 years ago, maybe I should give it a reappraisal.
I rewatched it on Film Four or somewhere a few years back - it didn't improve it. It just was, well, dull
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...