Thundercats

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

Thundercats

Post by dste » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:25 pm

A couple of days ago Thundercats celebrated 30 years since it debuted in the US.

Love this programme and also really liked the recent remake.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

felgekarp

Re: Thundercats

Post by felgekarp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:00 am

Mezco will be showing some new figures at next months ToyFair, I could see myself picking some up if they're based on the original cartoon and they've got decent articulation.
Splink!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Thundercats is one of those shows that I loved as a kid, but hasn't aged well. Most of the plots make little sense and it's pretty bonkers. Mind you, it's better than series 4 of Transformers, although been kicked repeatedly in the balls is better than series 4 of Transformers.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:03 pm

The one thing I always remember about Thundercats... Listed in the credits at the end of the program was a consultant psychologist. Why was that a requirement for a kid's cartoon about anthropomorphic cats?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:38 pm

merman wrote:The one thing I always remember about Thundercats... Listed in the credits at the end of the program was a consultant psychologist. Why was that a requirement for a kid's cartoon about anthropomorphic cats?
I think it's because the people who came up with the concept we're clearly in therapy from some sort of substance abuse:

'so we've got these guys...'

'Cat guys...'

'Yeah, Cat-guys, right, and they live on the planet, with a small thing that says snarf a lot and theres a village of warrior women in skimpy outfits and... hang on... *sniff*... yeah, some robot teddy bears. And they fight a monkey, a jackal, a lizard, a vulture who all work for a mummy who's scared of his own reflection. So can we get a series commisoned now?'

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Loved it. The Thundercats Movie (feature length cartoon) was the first video I ever got one Christmas - I thought it was a book at first cos we didn't actually own a video player at the time! (Or so I thought... little did I know Father Christmas had left one downstairs for us!)

Toys - I had Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, Panthro and the Battle Tank (excuse me if I've got them wrong, it's been a few years!)

Thinking back now it's a wonder I didn't get more of the toys. I guess we were spoiled for choice back then with star wars, he man, mask, centurions, visionaries etc etc,
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:04 pm

^^

Greatest era of cartoons ever! I had all the toys, too.

Mask, Centurions & Visionaries are so overlooked its tragic.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:27 pm

Used to love the Thundercat cartoons particularly Snarf & Mum'Ra the ever living(however his name) always disappointed when he wasn't on there.. Not saw it for a long time but a few years back friend had some on video... I watched the robot Ewok episode and another with a guy who looked Cinder of Killer Instinct, so was quite disappointed... Last week I picked up a Snarf figure and a lot of the DVD's from a Charity shop 50p each I didn't realise there was a second series or recognise half the characters such as Pumra..

The only figure I have left from childhood is Cheetarah but now have Snarf to go with her :D On rewatching Snarf really annoying but Mumm Ra is still an awesome character, wish they had got the original guy to voice him for the remake.. Problem with the remake it started off dark and gritty and then they had all the kid friendly characters like the flower people and Ewoks
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:20 pm

Me 14, Cheetara. nuff said.
Scott me up beamie!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:36 pm

I thought that the flower people episode was one of the better ones in the new series.
Splink!

tachi

Post by tachi » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:20 pm

Scratch_Porkings wrote:Me 14, Cheetara. nuff said.
Hell yeah :)
Watched all of them again last year (my 4yo daughter loves it now) and although the show itself hasn't aged well, I liked the way the story was progressive :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:17 pm

That opening title sequence

"Thunder.....Thunder.....THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Plain AWESOME!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:10 am

DoraemonTheCat wrote:That opening title sequence

"Thunder.....Thunder.....THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Plain AWESOME!
Yeah it was good, and nothing at all like the opening to He Man!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:36 am

Treguard wrote:Thundercats is one of those shows that I loved as a kid, but hasn't aged well. Most of the plots make little sense and it's pretty bonkers. Mind you, it's better than series 4 of Transformers, although been kicked repeatedly in the balls is better than series 4 of Transformers.
series 4 ?
series 4 is just a 3 part mini and that was truncated from 5

unless you mean headmasters

and thundercats hasnt aged all that well the 2011 version is better on the whole
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !