M.U.S.C.L.E Men

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

soopytwist

M.U.S.C.L.E Men

Post by soopytwist » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Who remembers these plastic guys made by Mattel in the 1980's? I bought my first pack of 10 flesh coloured Muscle Men back in the late 80's. I then acquired a few more through swaps but I didn't have very many, it wasn't until eBay came along that I entertained the thought of collecting all of them. I bought a job-lot sometime in the noughties but quite a few of them had been "painted" with black marker pen (a common problem). It wasn't until a new UK online shop selling just Muscle Men started up that I was able to make headway in completing a full set of 236 poster figures in original flesh colour.

A few years later and a couple of buys from collectors in America recently and I have finally finished a full set (minus any super rare, non-poster figures). The most expensive figure I have is this little feller:

£40 he cost me. Ridiculous I know. I really should know better at my old age but I've had this itch to collect all of them ever since I bought that first 10.

I don't think I'll try collecting the various coloured ones. It is increasingly harder to get them as time goes on and even that website where I bought the majority from has very little left in stock.

"M.U.S.C.L.E" or Millions of Unusual Small Creatures Lurking Everywhere, for those not in the know, is based on the original Japanese toys Kinkeshi; themselves based on the Kinnikuman anime cartoons. I have no idea what a full set costs but I imagine if I did sell them all I'd have a rather tidy profit. I wouldn't sell them anyway, Its taken me years to collect all of them.

And here they all are:

Combo-Breaker

Re: M.U.S.C.L.E Men

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:24 pm

I remember them very well. Man that's a flashback seeing that figure! :D

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:53 pm

Are you on the LittleRubberGuys forums? You can learn a crazy amount about MUSCLE over there!

Some of the folk over there are scarily obsessive about the things too, but hobbies are hobbies and all that.

Used to have a fair few of these from car boot sales when I was a lot younger, getting them in the mistaken belief they were an extension to Monster In My Pocket. Lost most of them over the years but have bought a few nice little sets over the years... I've got maybe a hundred-something of the things now, always nice to see a full set like you've got there :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SpeedBreaker

Post by SpeedBreaker » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:38 am

I had a bout a dozen of them as a kid. I ended up spoiling a couple of them by painting them with model paint. :P

soopytwist

Post by soopytwist » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:25 pm

SpeedBreaker wrote:I had a bout a dozen of them as a kid. I ended up spoiling a couple of them by painting them with model paint. :P
Yeah, that happens a lot. I've got a whole bunch coloured in black marker from a few collections I bought off ebay. I thought about spray painting them with chaos black from the Games Workshop and sealant.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:34 pm

used to love these as a kid, having a clear out at the mo of a lot of this sort of stuff, things like Monster in my Pocket and all that.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:15 pm

I had loads of these, but not in the flesh colour.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm

good grief! £40 for ONE of these.

I had loads of them, probably a couple of hundred (lots of duplicates), not sure if it was a full collection, just something I had as a kid. I'm sure I still have a bag of them up in the loft, all the original flesh colour, if they are going for good money I may have to get up in the loft and dig them out.

PAC

Post by PAC » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Amazing !

These passed my by completely.. but Congratulations on Mission Accomplished. What a feeling that must be !

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:16 am

These are a blast from the past. I had a couple but tbh can't remember much about them. Sketchy memories - circa 87/88-ish?

There is a small area of Liverpool called Dovecot, which when I was a kid was quite a nice row of sweet shops, bakeries, butchers, chemist etc. It's now a dump and I wouldn't go there. Anyway, there used to be a couple of bric a brac shops there where you'd get stuff like this. Also where I used to get my Speccy magazines with the covertapes on. Happy memories :)

Well done on the collection.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Had loads of these as a kid, potentially even close to a full set as my brother and I made a concerted effort to collect them all. Wonder if they're still up in my parents' loft somewhere...

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:11 pm

Also had loads of these as a kid, remember buying them from woolworths in little plastic tubs, no idea why, never not quite worked out what your meant to do with them, found a box of them today at a charity shop 170 for £3 will have to look at those links to work out what I have

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:36 pm

170 for £3????

You lucky sod! :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Analog

Post by Analog » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:57 am

awesome collection!
I had a few of them, not many, I was largely ignorant as a kid of what the story behind them was, and knew nothing about the anime. I just thought they looked cool and interesting. remember a mate had a huge tub of them and was amazed there was that many variations, have thought about collecting them in recent years but yea it would be another expensive hobby and i'm not sure I can afford another one lol.