Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Buses

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:17 pm

markopoloman wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:I feel we need another one :wink:
The bus companies have had a merger :lol: :lol: :lol:
takeover morelike :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:55 pm

In the '80s I used to occasionally use a bus to go into town with a friend to get a new game from Games Store or Chips in Middlesbrough. I remember at the time there were two types of bus; Red United busses, and Green Transit ones (it may have been the other way round, and I might have got the names wrong, too). The green ones would give you change, but the red ones were exact change only.

Is this still the case? Now I think about it, I don't think I see green busses now... I don't really take much notice of them, but maybe it's totally different and those two companies no longer exist. They may have even been local ones and other areas had different ones.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 pm

necronom wrote:In the '80s I used to occasionally use a bus to go into town with a friend to get a new game from Games Store or Chips in Middlesbrough. I remember at the time there were two types of bus; Red United busses, and Green Transit ones (it may have been the other way round, and I might have got the names wrong, too). The green ones would give you change, but the red ones were exact change only.

Is this still the case? Now I think about it, I don't think I see green busses now... I don't really take much notice of them, but maybe it's totally different and those two companies no longer exist. They may have even been local ones and other areas had different ones.
Reminds me of a Whizzer and Chips (I think) cartoon strip - with either Mustapha Millions or the Bumpkin Billionaires waiting to get on the bus with a £1,000,000 note or something and the sign on the bus saying "Exact fare only - no change given".
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:10 am

necronom wrote:In the '80s I used to occasionally use a bus to go into town with a friend to get a new game from Games Store or Chips in Middlesbrough. I remember at the time there were two types of bus; Red United busses, and Green Transit ones (it may have been the other way round, and I might have got the names wrong, too). The green ones would give you change, but the red ones were exact change only.

Wow game store, forgot about that shop. When they shut down most of the guys went to work for the new cash generator that opened up back in the day.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:23 am

Chips are still about too, the one round here closed a long time ago though.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:40 pm

Yep shadow of their former selves unfortunately. Let's jut say lots of stuff happened internally and the tough market conditions and burglaries of there warehouse have not helped them at all over the last few years.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Travel WM buses were my regular steed in the 90's and early 2000's, can still remember the old style ones with brown floors covered in old chewing gum, horrible Orange fabric on the seats and places for people to store their shopping at the front of the bus. Just as I was finishing college they upgraded to a newer model and everything went plastic with smaller seats, on a few occasions I took the last bus home after a drinking session, it was like being on a spaceship.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:52 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:Travel WM buses were my regular steed in the 90's and early 2000's, can still remember the old style ones with brown floors covered in old chewing gum, horrible Orange fabric on the seats and places for people to store their shopping at the front of the bus. Just as I was finishing college they upgraded to a newer model and everything went plastic with smaller seats, on a few occasions I took the last bus home after a drinking session, it was like being on a spaceship.
Yeah I remember those ones. They still had loads of those old heaps service alongside the newer ones for some time (no idea now as I rarely go to Birmingham). Some routes had double-deckers with TV screens and that inside.

Anybody from Birmingham ever get on one of those Bendi-Buses? I was quite surprised when they launched those but they only seemed to run on the one route going into the city centre.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:59 pm

We have bendy buses in Aberdeen.

They aren't very interesting.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:18 pm

Megamixer wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:Travel WM buses were my regular steed in the 90's and early 2000's, can still remember the old style ones with brown floors covered in old chewing gum, horrible Orange fabric on the seats and places for people to store their shopping at the front of the bus. Just as I was finishing college they upgraded to a newer model and everything went plastic with smaller seats, on a few occasions I took the last bus home after a drinking session, it was like being on a spaceship.
Yeah I remember those ones. They still had loads of those old heaps service alongside the newer ones for some time (no idea now as I rarely go to Birmingham). Some routes had double-deckers with TV screens and that inside.

Anybody from Birmingham ever get on one of those Bendi-Buses? I was quite surprised when they launched those but they only seemed to run on the one route going into the city centre.
I loved those old buses! They had character and were mega comfy compared to the upgrade that you mentioned.