Casio VL1 or similar keyboards

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SCALEBACK

Casio VL1 or similar keyboards

Post by SCALEBACK » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Did anybody have a Casio VL1 or similar keyboard in the early 80s?
Yes, I know they're primitive now but the German band Trio used one in the song Da Da Da and another good use
of digital music is the haunting O, Superman by Laurie Anderson. Anybody still using a Casio VL1 today might get laughed at and abused for using out of date technology. I don't have one myself (see my interests in my profile for what I use for digitail music).
But what I really want is a Moog emulator that includes Vocoder effects.

Antiriad2097

Re: Casio VL1 or similar keyboards

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:54 pm

I had a VL1, as used by The Snowmen for The Hokey Kokey.

I used to take it to school to use its calculator function. I believe its long dead, having been left with my first wife's kids.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:35 pm

I know digital keyboard technology now is a lot more advanced than it was in the '80s but you might be able to get one from Ebay (how much were they originally?) or if you want more variety and effects pick a USB M-audio Keystation 32 Mini keyboard (I had to download the free music software for mine) from Klaus Ohlson and I also recommend Magic Music maker Rock Edition4/the addition extra effects CD (sold separately)/2013/Music Maker Jam. I'd post a link as to what you can do with Music Maker Rock Edition 4(I don't usually listen to techno-rave music, I just thought I'd have a go at doing it) but it involves posting a link to Youtube and the Mods've already deleted my thread containing such a link.
I haven't managed to do Axel F, The Airwolf, Streethawk and Blade Runner themes on it yet.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 pm

I wonder if I can upload a WAV. sample of what can be done with what I've got?

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:53 am

I had to do a google image search, but i've got one :D
well, it's my dad, but it still works and still around. that said, they've packed the house up to move, so i should try to find out quite where it is...

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:31 am

Try this combining this lot:-
http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/M-Audio-Ke ... 3#moreinfo
http://www.magix.com/us/music-maker/

I've got the 2013, Rock Edition 4 versions and one of the extra samples CDs and the above keyboard works with Magix Music Maker2013

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:48 pm

As well as being an accumulator of games consoles and games, I’m also a bit of an hoarder of music gear. Mainly groove boxes and gadgets. Currently loving the Korg range of analogue gadgets: the volcas and mono tribe. Though I am yet to venture into the terrifyingly nerdy realms of modular synths. I have been toying with the idea of starting a eurorack modular system. I kinda want one….I think…. :? :shock:

We did have a Yamaha Portasound and Casio Tonebank in the house when I was a kid. My sister used to drive us all nuts playing the demo’s on them all the time.

If you’re looking for a good keyboard/synth with a vocoder then try looking for a second hand Microkorg.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:57 pm

I don't think these old keyboards will ever go out of fashion. Wasn't there a Lady Gaga song a couple of years back that featured a VL-1? They might only have been toys back in the day, but they've probably been on more hit records than many a serious instrument.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 pm

Yes, I had a go on a Casio VL1 back in the day but I swear, I had no intention of getting into digital music at the time. It was only until a few years ago that I started giving digital music another go. I might not be Lucas, Speilberg or Scorcsece but I''ve done a a bit of animation using a very cheaper alternative to PHOTOSHOP but believe me it's great. What I've done in a sequence is a sequence combining modern clip art and Sinclaier style graphics and photography but it's in development hell due to lack of ideas.
BTW I live in walking distance of Ocean Software's previous offices.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:15 am

Matt_B wrote:I don't think these old keyboards will ever go out of fashion. Wasn't there a Lady Gaga song a couple of years back that featured a VL-1? They might only have been toys back in the day, but they've probably been on more hit records than many a serious instrument.
Exactly.
The German band Trio's singer used a VL1 in the song Da Da Da and my keyboard might not be a four figure Korg, Yamaha or Roland but it has been used by professionals and it only cost me forty three quid from Klaus Ohlson and as for Magic Music Maker Rock Edition 4, you DON'T want to hear what I did to Melba Moore's blazin' disco anthem, This Is It (it sounded that terrible I didn't upload it to Youtube).
But what I really want is a Moog or Vocoder emulator but I have got an M-audio Keystation 32 Mini (iPad compatible but you need a separate connector and app called Garage Band AND A PAIR OF HEADPHONES, especially if using a laptop PC and live with other people).
Like I said in the OP, the VL1 might be laughable compared to today's electronic keyboards but there're people who still use or have them and I don't use PHOTOSHOP, ILLUSTRATOR, CORELDRAW/PAINT either.

leespoons

Post by leespoons » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Never had a VL1 but I had a Casiotone MT-40 (the one with the beepy bass that was used on loads of Jamaican "ragga" tunes from the mid '80s onwards)... and much later on I persuaded my mum to buy me an SK-5 sampler for Christmas. It had a dog as an instrument for some reason, and one of the percussion pads was supposed to be a lion roaring!

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:10 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNYcviXK4rg
Imagine what could be done now..

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:13 pm

I had one of these around 82 / 83. I may even still be in my mom's loft!
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:36 am

My folks were moving house, and I've been helping de-clutter etc. I found my one of these, will put a picture up sometime.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:05 pm

Found it/took one. 8) :D