Zoids Model Kits

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

knightintosh

Re: Zoids Model Kits

Post by knightintosh » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Yeah but those are movies of their own stuff, Zoids was licenced so can't see them doing a movie. Thank goodness I say, not a big fan of their movies to be honest. But a Zoids film would be brilliant, wouldn't it? :D

The fun you're having with the annual reminds me of going through the whole of Marvel UK's Transformers a few years back. It all held up so well, much better than a lot of modern comics to be frank!

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:13 pm

they have some zoids in the natural history museum dinosaur exhibition.

one is the stegosaur (I had this one as a nipper) and the t rex style one.

because i'm a nerd like that, got a photo of them too, might post if I can host the photo somewhere...

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:45 am

Kind of related but does anyone else remember Linkits? It was a set of toys by Matchbox, made of plastic pieces kinda like Lego but held together with connector pieces you had to twist into place rather than sticking to each other. The toys weren't that great but I remember it having a comic strip in Eagle that was fairly dark for a kids toy.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 am

HEAVYface wrote:they have some zoids in the natural history museum dinosaur exhibition.

one is the stegosaur (I had this one as a nipper) and the t rex style one.

because i'm a nerd like that, got a photo of them too, might post if I can host the photo somewhere...
That'll be Zoidzilla and Redhorn no doubt. I do remember that when I was a kid there was a lot of publicity about the "new" zoid that was coming out - which was a sabretooth cat. Looking at the various sites today it seems to be that there's about 300 variations of that one now.

Oh, on the image hosting, just do a websearch for free image hosting and you'll find something. Personally I use imgur rather than Photobucket (which doesn't work properly for me), but feel free to use whatever one you want.
Where logic won't work, I will

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Yep. I remember Linkits. I had a load of the kits too. A local department store had a massive stock of them and sold them all off cheap when they reached the end of the line. So I ended up with loads of them. Funny reading peoples online comments the same thing seems to be how most people ended up with them.

They were actually a pretty solid toys. I have no idea where mine went to. Probably in a box up in the folks attic.

Another toy that was similar to Zoids were RATS (Robot Anti-Terror Squad). They even fit the same little gold and silver seated pilot people.

While were talking about robotic toys that barely anybody remembers there was also Robo force. Which I always thought were pretty cool. Big chunky things with one massive massive suction cup instead of legs.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 pm

here's some zoids at the museum...
and the big animated t-rex model, photo is a bit arse but nevermind

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Gah, I was in London last week but didn't get the time to go to the Natural History Museum (it was that or the British Library). Nice to see they're being "preserved" though.
ootini wrote:
Another toy that was similar to Zoids were RATS (Robot Anti-Terror Squad). They even fit the same little gold and silver seated pilot people.

While were talking about robotic toys that barely anybody remembers there was also Robo force. Which I always thought were pretty cool. Big chunky things with one massive massive suction cup instead of legs.

I've got a couple of Robo Force things - the one second-from-right in that picture and another, more "evil"-looking one. I have a couple of Link-Its sets as well, but only got them in the last few years from charity shops - nice all the same!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.