Zoids Model Kits

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

PeeJay1980

Zoids Model Kits

Post by PeeJay1980 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi all, does anyone remember this cool little model kits. Having a moment of nostalgia I had a nose round and it seems they're still popular in Japan, I also remember a number of tie-in comics.

knightintosh

Re: Zoids Model Kits

Post by knightintosh » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:50 pm

I had just the one as a kid, a tall thin grey one, loved building it and always wanted to collect more, but with already collecting Transformers, Visionaries, Ring Raiders and Real Ghostbusters "Santa" wasn't having it!

I do have a few issues of the Spiderman and Zoids comic, the issues which had instalments of the Marvel Secret Wars in them and the British Zoids strips are actually much more entertaining than the usual US Spiderman!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:12 pm

I remember Zoids primarily for the disappointing game on C64. Good music, not so much gamewise. I can see what they were trying to do, but it was beyond the scope of the system. Following dots around just wasn't fun. A modern interpretation with proper big Zoids stomping around would add a lot to the basic premise. The old one just lacked atmosphere.

I didn't personally have any Zoids, being perhaps a little too old, but my younger cousin had a few alongside his Transformers.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Loved the idea of them, and would happily have a ton of them now if they weren't so expensive! Did have one, back in the day, but it seems to be one of the few toys I haven't been able to hold on to through my whole life. It's on the front of that comic there, second from left - it was green! That worm-shaped one was the one that always appealed most from the adverts.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

PeeJay1980

Post by PeeJay1980 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:27 pm

I remember I had a Tyrannosaurs Rex type, took me about 6 weeks to build it, and then the head fell off.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:12 pm

I have this one for sale if anyone fancies it.

Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks for that picture !

Damn that bought back some memories. Thats one of the Zoids i had as a kid, used to play with it loads in the bath (the zoid)

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:15 am

I was just think about Zoids this morning for some reason, completely unrelated to this, used to read the comic back in the day. I had Ultrasaurus, he was hardcore. Don't know what happened to the toy, I remember they were a pain to keep in one piece, I kept losing the rubber stoppers off it, It's possible it just disintegrated.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I remember Zoids primarily for the disappointing game on C64. Good music, not so much gamewise. I can see what they were trying to do, but it was beyond the scope of the system. Following dots around just wasn't fun. A modern interpretation with proper big Zoids stomping around would add a lot to the basic premise. The old one just lacked atmosphere.
i used to load it up just to listen to the music. and to try to figure out wtf i was supposed to do. didn't have any instructions with it, so didn't get very far :lol:

we had quite a few Zoids back in the day. I did used to have Zoidzilla, but it was my older brother who was more into them. I think the last i saw of them was when he got "creative" with a scalpel, some airfix model style glue, all our old star wars figures (sob), and his own collection of dr who figures (from the first time round).

oops.

ootini

Post by ootini » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:48 am

I had a load of Zoids as a kid. They usually looked really cool when built but they would usually shuffle awkwardly along when wound up. Except for the spidezoid which I remember being quite nifty. There were also a few small ones that took batteries called power zoids. I remember this one bombing around the place when a kid brought it onto school once.

I had a few of the big ones too. Zoidzilla which broke whole I was building it, so it kinda shuffled along awkwardly. And Gore the lord protector which was the giant gorilla one which moved along quite well. They were both put into storage when we moved house back in 1987 and the batteries leaked and ruined them both. :(

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Cool!! :D

Thanks for posting these! I've never seen these ones as toys before, only in comic strip form.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:57 am

I only ever had the one - I'm guessing it was the Spiderzoid, but I do remember an American friend (the town I lived in had a US naval base and I was friends with some of the kids in their housing estate just along the road) had Zoidzilla, a battery-powered rhino (I think in the comics it was Zoidzilla's enemy) and a wind-up dimetrodon one.

I did also have book at one point - it was one of those "choose your own adventure" things.
Where logic won't work, I will

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Just thought I'd do a small update - This topic reminded me how much I enjoyed the book that I managed to track it down again - and I promptly read the whole thing when it arrived this morning.

The only thing I've skipped out for now was the small "choose your own adventure" section in it - mostly because I don't have a dice for it.

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 am

How does it measure up to your memories?

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:24 am

Every bit as good - I've gone through it a couple more times - and each time it triggers another memory. Most recent memory it's triggered would've been me spending hours trying to copy just one of the frames from the comics inside back when I was about 10. I've not gone through the adventure thing yet, but I am remembering bits & pieces of it already - and that's just from other bits of it.

One thing I did notice was that it was written by Marvel. Given that they've been doing virtually every comic they can think of as movies, I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before they do a live-action movie of Zoids.